China "Dog Meat" Festival Begins

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
If only I weren’t so heavily moderated, I could’ve livened up the place, but I’m Gone....
I thought it was Goofy?
goofy-face2.png

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No stranger than any other celebration of eating dead animals. How many BBQ events does America have?

Absolutely. This is mocking a cultural practice. Eating dogs and cats is common in Asian cultures, and I guess your "reasoning" is that we are somehow superior because we don't eat them.

This is ethnocentrism of the highest order. What's the difference in them eating dogs and you eating any other animal? In poorer countries, it's also common to eat the entire animal, and not throw away any of the bits we would never consider eating.

Anthony Bourdain made a career out of visiting foreign countries and eating delicacies composed of what we would consider offal. Smart man, and a great writer, and someone most of you couldn't comprehend. Please send the expected foul comments about his tragic suicide. Bourdain opened a lot of American eyes both to what they were missing in terms of cuisine, and their cultural "superiority" complex.

An amazing display of both arrogance and cultural ignorance.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Absolutely. This is mocking a cultural practice. Eating dogs and cats is common in Asian cultures, and I guess your "reasoning" is that we are somehow superior because we don't eat them.

This is ethnocentrism of the highest order. What's the difference in them eating dogs and you eating any other animal? In poorer countries, it's also common to eat the entire animal, and not throw away any of the bits we would never consider eating.

Anthony Bourdain made a career out of visiting foreign countries and eating delicacies composed of what we would consider offal. Smart man, and a great writer, and someone most of you couldn't comprehend. Please send the expected foul comments about his tragic suicide. Bourdain opened a lot of American eyes both to what they were missing in terms of cuisine, and their cultural "superiority" complex.

I like this post except the parts where you try and compensate for your insecurity by putting others down.

Last edited:

vantexan

I've watched all of Bourdain's shows. I've never once seen him chide Americans for arrogance and ignorance. Closest to that was when he visited Laos, which was heavily bombed in Vietnam War. He was about informing and enlightening. And I've seen him make very sour faces over some of the food he tried.

You are guilty of elitism here to some extent. For example in the country Kyrgyzstan out in the countryside they will waste very little and commonly eat horse, as well as drink fermented mare's milk. In the capital Bishkek however you can find it, but most people want to eat Western food, and are much more likely to eat pizza and hamburgers. You shouldn't assume that these nations are all eating very different things than we are. More accurate to say they eat what's locally available the poorer they are, and the West has a huge influence on what those with money have to eat.

G

Gsd

I like this post except the parts where you try and compensate for your insecurity by putting others down.
I’m with old man. Although I understand ppl consume in different way globally. I whole heartily disagree with the way they kill these poor dogs. Dogs are more intelligent than other animals ppl consume and know fear and pain.

floridays

Why a tragic suicide, I'd assume it was his choice, don't try to be so superior. That said, I wouldn't put half the :censored2: in my mouth that he did. Then again, I'm American, can eat what I prefer, and don't get off on choking something down that is recognizably disgusting just to be see as cool or on the edge.
I like all types of music, Country and Western.:lol::thumbup1::thumbup1::2guns:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I've watched all of Bourdain's shows. I've never once seen him chide Americans for arrogance and ignorance. Closest to that was when he visited Laos, which was heavily bombed in Vietnam War. He was about informing and enlightening. And I've seen him make very sour faces over some of the food he tried.

You are guilty of elitism here to some extent. For example in the country Kyrgyzstan out in the countryside they will waste very little and commonly eat horse, as well as drink fermented mare's milk. In the capital Bishkek however you can find it, but most people want to eat Western food, and are much more likely to eat pizza and hamburgers. You shouldn't assume that these nations are all eating very different things than we are. More accurate to say they eat what's locally available the poorer they are, and the West has a huge influence on what those with money have to eat.

Bourdain's chiding was mostly implied, but often direct, so your claim of watching all his episodes seems suspect. If you've read any of his books you'd know exactly his message when he was eating a dish made up of something we wouldn't even consider here.

When I saw skinned dogs and cats in China, it was kind of strange at first, but then you see that they eat almost anything. There were live scorpions for sale, snakes, turtles, and a wide variety of things I couldn't readily identify that had been semi-processed and packaged. Looked like intestines or other internal organs. Most of them are really poor, so nothing goes to waste.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I’m with old man. Although I understand ppl consume in different way globally. I whole heartily disagree with the way they kill these poor dogs. Dogs are more intelligent than other animals ppl consume and know fear and pain.

Pigs are actually more intelligent than most dogs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Horse is commonly served in France and Eastern Europe as well.

vantexan

Bourdain's chiding was mostly implied, but often direct, so your claim of watching all his episodes seems suspect. If you've read any of his books you'd know exactly his message when he was eating a dish made up of something we wouldn't even consider here.

When I saw skinned dogs and cats in China, it was kind of strange at first, but then you see that they eat almost anything. There were live scorpions for sale, snakes, turtles, and a wide variety of things I couldn't readily identify that had been semi-processed and packaged. Looked like intestines or other internal organs. Most of them are really poor, so nothing goes to waste.
Well which was it, mostly implied or often direct? I watched all of his shows on the Travel Channel and CNN. His message was bringing people together by sharing their cuisine and lifestyle. It wasn't to slam us, which is your message. Of course Bourdain was liberal, but he was comfortable eating with rednecks or shooting guns with Ted Nugent.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well which was it, mostly implied or often direct? I watched all of his shows on the Travel Channel and CNN. His message was bringing people together by sharing their cuisine and lifestyle. It wasn't to slam us, which is your message. Of course Bourdain was liberal, but he was comfortable eating with rednecks or shooting guns with Ted Nugent.

His message was implied sometimes and direct others. Is that a difficult concept to grasp? I agree that bringing people together was part of it, but it most of it was to get Americans to open up their eyes and try and understand that although cultures are different, most of them want the same things out of life.

Bourdain was remarkably tolerant.

rickyb

ALOT of animals know fear and pain.

intelligence is no justification for killing something or not.

rickyb

I'm putting down ethnocentrism, which is rampant in this country. Americans have an incredible superiority complex.
i was talking about this in another thread but even just people i work with or my dad. if you think youre the best, its harder to learn anything or improve.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
i was talking about this in another thread but even just people i work with or my dad. if you think youre the best, its harder to learn anything or improve.

Great point. Americans think of themselves as superior...they're not. There are plenty of smart, successful people in every culture/ethnicity. Americans definitely have more opportunity than most other cultures, which for the most part, they don't utilize.

Foreigners often come here to get an education, and then go home to actually use it, many times because they can't stay here and work. Americans have an "entitlement" attitude, which they often bring with them when they travel. When my family travels, we are "Canadians", and since we spend plenty of time there, we can pass as Canadians with the locals.

I've been to Europe twice during the last 3 years, and attitudes toward Americans are changing quickly. Most detest Trump, and that just adds to the dislike factor.

Go Canucks!

vantexan

His message was implied sometimes and direct others. Is that a difficult concept to grasp? I agree that bringing people together was part of it, but it most of it was to get Americans to open up their eyes and try and understand that although cultures are different, most of them want the same things out of life.

Bourdain was remarkably tolerant.
So, in your world you'd have tv shows that went for the jugular of anyone you deem not worthy? Good to know.