China "Dog Meat" Festival Begins

BrownArmy

We apparently agree on that ... it's an economic consideration.

I think we both read the CDC statement, "No safe blood lead level in children has been identified." differently.
In a perfect world, a level of 'zero' ppb is desired.
In the real world, all water has 'some' lead in it.
The EPA recommends, "Lead concentrations in drinking water should be below the EPA action level of 15 parts per billion."

Should it be lower ... no one seems to know.
People tend to react emotionally when their kids come into play.

There is usually distilled water available in the grocery stores. That's what we use for cooking and drinking in our house.
The cost runs from $0.69 per gallon at WalMart to $1.59 at upscale grocery stores ... maybe more in big cities.

We’re probably agreeing.

I’ll just say that if no lead at all is the goal, and ‘we’ (the royal ‘we’) agree that 15ppb is the lower level, then it’s clear that 15ppb is an arrived arbitrary number, influenced not by science, but by the lowest limits industry would agree to.

Happens all the time.

Industry knew that lead paint and leaded gas was toxic, took fifty years to take lead out of gas and paint.

This is the problem with Milton Friedman; pure capitalism often doesn’t fix the problems, especially when the money-men have their full weight on the lobbyist scale.

Plus, ‘white-flight’ to the suburbs, leaving the red-lined black children in substandard housing and schools, leading to a higher concentration of lead in black kids, leading to a variety of their problems in schools, leading right up to Nixons’ War on Drugs, leading right up to the CIA flooding black neighborhoods with crack...

Lol, jk

rickyb

i ate a quesadilla at the local burrito place and its kinda a rip off because they charge basically the same as a burrito but you get way less veggies.

rickyb

yesterday i had a vegan grilled cheese sandwich.

eating bread is comparable to eating ice cream, full fat italian dressing, and apple pie in terms of calorie density.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

eating bread is comparable to eating ice cream, full fat italian dressing, and apple pie in terms of calorie density.
Agree ... I don't eat bread except for the coating on fish ...
fried catfish, whiting or mullet are the few foods I eat that are on the "NO-NO' list.

rickyb

Agree ... I don't eat bread except for the coating on fish ...
fried catfish, whiting or mullet are the few foods I eat that are on the "NO-NO' list.
ive had this calorie density chart up for a year but i overlooked the fact that bread was so high up the list. i snack on bran flakes bread and tortilla, so ill be cutting back on the last 2 as a snack.

i lost 30 lbs (and i was already skinny) since going mostly vegetarian and i figure its because of the salsas i use which have so little calories compared to typical dressings and mayonaise.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
ive had this calorie density chart up for a year but i overlooked the fact that bread was so high up the list. i snack on bran flakes bread and tortilla, so ill be cutting back on the last 2 as a snack.
There are low-carb alternatives with high fiber and low carbs (5 grams per tortilla).

The brain needs at least 35 grams of carbs per day to function properly ... perhaps that explains most of your posts. :wink-very:

rickyb

There are low-carb alternatives with high fiber and low carbs (5 grams per tortilla).

The brain needs at least 35 grams of carbs per day to function properly ... perhaps that explains most of your posts. :wink-very:
well done!

i think the middle eastern pita bread which is 14 inches or whatever was alot healthier than tortilla which is healthier than bread. must be the canola oil which bumps up the calories and fat.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
well done!

i think the middle eastern pita bread which is 14 inches or whatever was alot healthier than tortilla which is healthier than bread. must be the canola oil which bumps up the calories and fat.
Unleavened bread has pretty much the same carbs and calories as processed and enriched bread you get in 1st world countries.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

Updated info.

The brain needs at least 35 130 grams of carbs per day to function properly ... perhaps that explains most of your posts. :wink-very:
That number of 35 didn't look right so I looked it up ...

The current recommended daily allowance, or RDA, of carbohydrates is set to 130 grams per day.
That total, contrary to common sense, represents the minimum rather than optimal daily intake, and covers the amount

your brain and liver need for prime functioning, plus a little extra for your muscles and good measure.

While there is no strict definition of a low-carb diet, anything under 100–150 grams per day is generally considered low-carb. This amount is definitely a lot less than the standard Western diet. You may achieve great results within this carb range, as long as you eat unprocessed, real foods.

My apologies. - OMJ

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Updated info.

That number of 35 didn't look right so I looked it up ...

The current recommended daily allowance, or RDA, of carbohydrates is set to 130 grams per day.
That total, contrary to common sense, represents the minimum rather than optimal daily intake, and covers the amount

your brain and liver need for prime functioning, plus a little extra for your muscles and good measure.

While there is no strict definition of a low-carb diet, anything under 100–150 grams per day is generally considered low-carb. This amount is definitely a lot less than the standard Western diet. You may achieve great results within this carb range, as long as you eat unprocessed, real foods.

My apologies. - OMJ
BS
The human body is completely capable of making the glucose it needs without ingesting carbohydrates.