Christianity

vantexan

Kids in public schools have been being talked to about sexuality for quite some time.

In my my 6th grade health class human sexuality was part of the curriculum. Other than wanting to see my report card my parents and most of my peers parents had no involvement in my education.
Not talking about biology.

vantexan

Yes

Arguably yes, the topic of masturbation was addressed.

I reiterate the reality that human sexuality has been taught in schools without parent involvement is nothing new.
So if parents find out about what is being taught and deem that inappropriate for their child is that an appropriate reaction or do parents not have a say in their child's education?

Integrity

Binge Poster
So if parents find out about what is being taught and deem that inappropriate for their child is that an appropriate reaction
What is the appropriate reaction you are referring to???

Just having the personal opinion that what is being taught is in appropriate.

Is that what you mean?

vantexan

What is the appropriate reaction you are referring to???

Just having the personal opinion that what is being taught is in appropriate.

Is that what you mean?
Not going around in circles with you. Do parents have the right to determine what's appropriate to be taught their children and protest if they feel their child is being taught inappropriate things? Or should parents just put their trust in their schools and school boards to teach their children without their involvement?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Not going around in circles with you.
I thank God for that.
Do parents have the right to determine what's appropriate to be taught their children
IMO In public school, I believe they have a say but not the final say in determining what’s appropriate to be taught their children. That is, as long as the parents make the determination to keep their children in public school.

IMO Parents, as all humans, always have a right to their opinion about what the school system teaches.
and protest
I believe the right to peaceful protest is guaranteed in the US Constitution.

if they feel their child is being taught inappropriate things?
IMO protest is probably not the most effective plan. I think involvement in the school board political process is the way to go here.
Or should parents just put their trust in their schools and school boards to teach their children without their involvement?
No. They can always get involved in the process, then accept the will of the people.

If still unhappy they can make the sacrifice and pull their kids out and homeschool them.

Homeschooling is quite common now a days.

Non liberal

I thank God for that.

IMO In public school, I believe they have a say but not the final say in determining what’s appropriate to be taught their children. That is, as long as the parents make the determination to keep their children in public school.

IMO Parents, as all humans, always have a right to their opinion about what the school system teaches.

IMO protest is probably not the most effective plan. I think involvement in the school board political process is the way to go here.

No. They can always get involved in the process, then accept the will of the people.

If still unhappy they can make the sacrifice and pull their kids out and homeschool them.

So if the will of the people is evil, your just supposed to accept that?

vantexan

I thank God for that.

And in response to parents showing up at school board meetings to protest CRT being taught in schools the National School Board Association sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland requesting those parents be designated domestic terrorists. Democratic Virginia governor candidate Terry McAuliffe, a very prominent Democrat, said parents should leave teaching to the professionals and stay out of it. There's a reason that parents are concerned at the direction their schools are going and it's pretty clear who is causing that concern.

Thebrownblob

Where does it show that in my post?

IMO Acceptance is a viable choice but I think I gave pretty reasonable alternatives to simply accepting it.
In many cases at school, the doctrine of “In loco parentis” still applies. When you drop your children off at a public school, you are effectively abandoning them to the state as long as you trust them guess that’s a good choice. Otherwise pay for private school or home school imo

Integrity

Binge Poster
And in response to parents showing up at school board meetings to protest CRT being taught in schools the National School Board Association sent a letter to Attorney General Merrick Garland requesting those parents be designated domestic terrorists. Democratic Virginia governor candidate Terry McAuliffe, a very prominent Democrat, said parents should leave teaching to the professionals and stay out of it. There's a reason that parents are concerned at the direction their schools are going and it's pretty clear who is causing that concern.
I told you that my opinion was that protesting was probably not the most effective plan.

I think your post supports that.

Protesting seemed to not be productive here, actually it appears to have been counterproductive to their cause.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You said have a vote and accept the will of the people
This is what was said by @vantexan :
Not going around in circles with you. Do parents have the right to determine what's appropriate to be taught their children and protest if they feel their child is being taught inappropriate things? Or should parents just put their trust in their schools and school boards to teach their children without their involvement?
This is what I said in response:
I thank God for that.

Please read carefully. I think I said more than you are claiming.

vantexan

I told you that my opinion was that protesting was probably not the most effective plan.

I think your post supports that.

Protesting seemed to not be productive here, actually it appears to have been counterproductive to their cause.
And how would you go about it? These are parents who gave their opinions at school board meetings in the appropriate manner speaking before the school boards. Because they did things like read aloud what their child brought from his/her school library/classroom to illustrate their point the National School Board Association wanted them labeled as domestic terrorists. They didn't throw anything, physically attack anyone, burn anything. They spoke truth to power. Nothing upsets power like getting exposed.

Thebrownblob

And how would you go about it? These are parents who gave their opinions at school board meetings in the appropriate manner speaking before the school boards. Because they did things like read aloud what their child brought from his/her school library/classroom to illustrate their point the National School Board Association wanted them labeled as domestic terrorists. They didn't throw anything, physically attack anyone, burn anything. They spoke truth to power. Nothing upsets power like getting exposed.
Get your kids out of the public schools. It has been explained to me best with this analogy….

If the school was on fire, would you leave your kids in the school while you try to put out the fire? or would you get the kids out first and then try to pull out the fire?

The school boards have little respect for parents opinions, and actually mostly distain.