Christmas Eve excessive hours problem

The Milkman

Historically, UPS has been good about getting people off the road on Christmas Eve. Always had a buffet spread for us with all the fixings. What the hell happened to this company? I've not driven since 2003 and been retired for almost three years but I've never heard anything like the stories I'm reading now. Once while I was driving on Christmas Eve I was the last one in the building and that was at 4 pm. I understand all about the weather but we had our snowstorms then too.

I.E. is notorious for loading up the drivers but it seems they really dropped the ball on this one.

Yes getting in early Christmas Eve...A nice spread..The good old days..When the company showed some kind of compassion towards it's workers..........

Kae3106

Neither FedEx or UPS delivered to my house after Friday 12/20.
I have things in my cart at Amazon for a week now.
I held off to keep from adding to the problems.

If you were getting packages yesterday, you were part of the problem! :wink-very:

I got one yesterday but it's been stuck in the Dallas backlog for several days so I don't think that one really counts. :happy: And I had it shipped to the office so I wasn't adding a stop.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
One thing that was common during Xmas eve was they would pay your lunch (hours worked). I got my route done and they made me go help another driver. I asked if my lunch was paid and where to meet driver.

THEY TOLD ME THAT UPS WOULD ONLY PAY HALF MY LUNCH

ABSOLUTE BS
THE OMS AND MY SUP GOT AN EARFUL FROM ME

TOOK MY HALF HOUR AT DUNKIN DONUTS AND THEN WENT TO HELP MY FELLOW DRIVER

UPS WAS STRUNG OUT XMAS EVE AND THEY COULD CARE LESS AND KEEP MY 16 DOLLARS

FN STUPID

I finished and enjoyed Xmas with my family but WILL NEVER forget that greed !!
IT"S NOT ABOUT MONEY BUT PRINCIPAL

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
This little gem was the cherry on top of a peak season to remember...
photo.JPG

Nimnim

The Nim
UPS has us designate closed businesses as closed holiday. So, it is a holiday.

Contractually it's not a holiday, might be in some locations but not the majority, it's just a day most aren't expected to work. There are other "federal" holidays out there that businesses close for but we don't.

cb1969

Can the union do anything to stop in the future what happened this year? Drivers way over dispatched, 12 hour day. I never seen it this bad, ever.

I know we have to work but historically, we worked a 8 hour day on Christmas Eve.
I average that year-round...The union could only put language in the next contract eliminating peak time exceptions to the 9.5 language...We all know that will never happen!!

oldngray

nowhere special
When the personnel is stripped down and working near peak hours the rest of the year, starting from that and adding peak volume is an automatic failure. No brainer but it shows what top management and IE have inside their skulls in place of functioning gray matter.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
UPS policy for undeliverable packages does not make it a holiday. In the public's eye it is but in the real world it is not.

It's not just undeliverable packages--scheduled pickups too. And does it make sense that Christmas Eve wouldn't be considered a holiday but New Years Eve day is?

Squint

No more work for me!
One thing that was common during Xmas eve was they would pay your lunch (hours worked). I got my route done and they made me go help another driver. I asked if my lunch was paid and where to meet driver.

THEY TOLD ME THAT UPS WOULD ONLY PAY HALF MY LUNCH

ABSOLUTE BS
THE OMS AND MY SUP GOT AN EARFUL FROM ME

TOOK MY HALF HOUR AT DUNKIN DONUTS AND THEN WENT TO HELP MY FELLOW DRIVER

UPS WAS STRUNG OUT XMAS EVE AND THEY COULD CARE LESS AND KEEP MY 16 DOLLARS

FN STUPID

I finished and enjoyed Xmas with my family but WILL NEVER forget that greed !!
IT"S NOT ABOUT MONEY BUT PRINCIPAL

Stop shouting and the term is "couldn't care less".

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When the personnel is stripped down and working near peak hours the rest of the year, starting from that and adding peak volume is an automatic failure. No brainer but it shows what top management and IE have inside their skulls in place of functioning gray matter.
The real problem is that they see numbers on paper without considering the human frailties and limitations.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
OR, New Years Eve should be the holiday as that's when people celebrate.
Perhaps New Years Day should not...

But, I'll gladly take both.

On that note, my supplement has Columbus Day as a working holiday. No offense to you southern rednecks and Italians but MLK Day has a lot more closed than Columbus Day.