Chronic Safety Committee Contract Violation

Dragon

Package Center Manager
T

the company establishes the curriculum so apparently they feel they are the only ones to define success. Right now with my injured knee from falling on the ice, I'd like to talk about winter uniform pants that have sown in pouches to facilitate some kind of knee guards. Maybe elbow ones on the shirts. We've had a huge problem with slip and fall injuries because of ice under snow.
Show me a committee that can have ideas like that realized instead of just being handed some lame excuse--and here's the 5 and 10 again, and I'll get interested again. :)

So you fell on the ice and you want UPS to bumper proof you like a baby!

You know, put plug over the sockets corner guards on tables etc.

You are supposedly a grown adult take responsibility for your own actions.

C

chuchu

And the worker is always to be blamed when an accident or (especially) an injury occurs whenever possible.

I remember being sent out to deliver in a level 3. Slipping and falling on ice would still have been my fault.

Since the company always covers their butt maybe we should cover our knees and elbows too. :)

PS: We don't need the receptacles covered/plugged but it would be great to get our windows, mirrors and rims cleaned daily before we put the vehicle into service.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What's wrong here is that UPS has flipped the script and bastardized the intent of the safety committees, making these committees a decisive managerial tool that has hourly bargaining unit worker doing management work.
They roster and oversee DOK and are often asked to observe other hourly union employees.
The committee members tend to be management favorites, with seniority playing no role in the distribution of this extra work.
The intent of these contractual committees was to give union employees an avenue to voice safety concerns.
In my building, this committee most certainly needs to be dismantled and rebuilt from the ground up.
Bubblehead,

These are just the typical excuses for lack of union oversight.

If the Employee Health and Safety Committees were run in a contractual way this discussion would not exist.

The fact that they are not run according to the contract falls completely on Local Union Leadership and solidarity.

They know this and their response, shut down committees.

Fortunately the new Master addresses this inappropriate response.

Sincerely,
I

Packmule

What I'm saying is that drivers falling on ice is and always will be a fact of life at UPS. It has also been my experience from tiling floors, etc. that typical knee pads are very uncomfortable and would lame up a driver in no time if used in our application. Perhaps UPS could develop a system that works for drivers and saves the company a ton of money in reduced injuries. It has been like walking through a minefield with ice under snow around here lately.