Plant Engineering with Integrity

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
PE management is there to save money and come in under budget at the expense of our safety. It’s sad. We need new rollers in some areas. It is over 5 years with no action taken. It is pathetic. Things grinding in the belts and no one will take a look. Same horrible sounds day after day. Need something welded? Duct tape will do. Tear in a conveyor belt? Duct tape will do.
Automotive gets picked upon frequently for issues they should be dealing with.

km3

My Fellow UPS Workers,
The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at
UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole
purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with
other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this
issue up to the company as a group.
It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our
own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for
the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this
issue.

I was in a smaller facility recently and I saw one of the maintenance guys standing by a couple of beat up old cabinets.

I asked him if he could show me where the maintenance shop was and he stated " your looking at it."

The building was very dirty, dusty and generally unkempt.

I spoke with him for a few minutes while he was working and he spoke of many serious issues within the Plant Engineering dept that many working at UPS probably don't even know exist.

He said many of these issues have to do with general and widespread lack of integrity within the PE department.

Does anyone have any similar experience with Plant Engineering at UPS?

They serve essentially no purpose. 90% of the time, they have to call in contractors to fix just about anything that's broken.

Best job here, imo. Drive around on tugs, point your flash lights at things, and then go home.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Our dog box permanent extension needs awnings. Whenever it rains, our floors get wet, become slippery and unsafe.
Would not be surprised if someone has a serious fall during peak season, especially when the floors become even colder and more slippery.

While you may have integrity, you're lacking attentive skills.

LMAO People talking about automation, robots, drones and hyperloops, as if their career at UPS will be affected by any of these.
What is a dog box?

Integrity

Binge Poster
If I had to guess it's all about making it look like you are spending alot of money without actually spending it or some such scam that PE management might engage in. Either that or just not spending any money ever and pretending every thing is up to standard
What experience do you have with dealing with PE?

Integrity

Binge Poster
Yes!!! Items get written up on decr. Ignored. Written up again and ignored. Written up again and ignored. PE guy walks back and forth all day doing nothing. Equipment breaks down. Hire someone else to do it. We ask for preventative maintenance. Nope. Wait till it breaks down in the middle of a shift. There is no longer any reason to report defective equipment. It’s completely pointless. Just my opinion.
Written up things getting chronically ignored, PE guy doing nothing all day, contractors doing union work.

If this is true, then this seems like a bad situation.

None of this gives you reason not to continue to do your job and write the items up, if it is your job.

Stopping write ups only make you part of the problem and now gives PE someone to blame.

Integrity

Binge Poster
PE management is there to save money and come in under budget at the expense of our safety. It’s sad. We need new rollers in some areas. It is over 5 years with no action taken. It is pathetic. Things grinding in the belts and no one will take a look. Same horrible sounds day after day. Need something welded? Duct tape will do. Tear in a conveyor belt? Duct tape will do.
If you are management you may want to simply ask who you report to what it takes to get something fixed and then do that.

If you are non-union then you may want consult your local OSHA office, explain your situation, ask them what to do, and then do that.

If you are a Teamster you may want to file an Article 18 grievance.

Integrity

Binge Poster
They serve essentially no purpose. 90% of the time, they have to call in contractors to fix just about anything that's broken.

Best job here, imo. Drive around on tugs, point your flash lights at things, and then go home.
Wow, you don't appear to view PE in a positive way.

What do you believe is the root cause of these failures that you have pointed out?

Integrity

Binge Poster
In all reality no one gives a :censored2: anymore ...takes a lot of work 2 get something in compliance
I know a lot just don't care about anything but themselves.

My experience has shown me this is true with many Union and management UPSers. It is sad for the organization.

They seem to be oppressed by their own selfishness.

However, there are still some that do care, those that do care should not give up because it is those that do care that still have a chance of making things better.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Care in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up the quickest.

T
Is this meant to be a funny or is this a statement of how you conduct yourself and the character and or principles by which you live in the area of selfishness on the one hand and caring on the other.

To use you statement, yes the caring in the one hand will fill up slower than the poop (selfishness) in the other but oh the little caring in the one hand will add such good to the world, while the selfishness (the poop) will just continue to add to the stench of the world.

How do you choose to live?