Clarification About Air Exception Work

Robert91

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about Air exception work:

Question #1

Could someone clarify for me: what is Air exception work? My understanding is that it is non-scheduled Air work performed by a part timer. Is this correct?

Question #2

If my understanding is accurate, how then is one chosen for this type of work? If my building has two cover drivers, both of whom have made their thirty day's, would I be considered last since I have not completed my thirty days (I have more seniority than one of these guys).

Or... is air exception work something that is bid upon? (I'm thinking that its not, as it is unscheduled?).

Question #3

How does one accumulate time in the progression pay rates as an exception driver? Article 40, Section 6, Paragraph A states: "Part-time air drivers including exception air drivers will be paidas follows...", it then lists pay rates at 12, 18, and 24 months. How is this amount of time determined? If Air exception work is unscheduled and non-bid work, how does one accumulate time? I realize that in the following paragraphs the national does specify that a part timer who is awarded scheduled Air work will have one month of time for each four days of exception work performed in the two years prior to the awarded position. However, as I have already quoted, Paragraph A specifies that the progression does apply to those working only exception work; this would suggest that the latter quote about the awarded position pay rate, is to protect the pay rate of exception drivers moving to scheduled Air work.

I can't get a straight answer on these questions, so any opinions would be much appreciated. Also, if I'm overlooking something, please fill me in!

UPSGUY72

So I should be paid at cover driver rate?

If your doing cover driver work yes. If fill in as air driver you should get that rate. As you said you haven't made your 30 days yet as a cover driver. Once you make your 30 than you should get the hire rate (cover or air ) if you cover a air route which ever it is and cover driver rate when your cover.

However why don't you run it by your shop steward and see what they have to say about your situation I'm sure it has come up before.

Before you go rocking the boat I would make sure you make your 30 days but that just me.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The first air drivers hired ( 1986 ) were Air Exception Drivers.
Meaning running off inbound miss sorts , doing airline flights and missed parcels .
The pay was 10/hr wad.

PT Car Washer

Air exception work is outside your normal PT job. Do you have a regular PT job? You are not chosen for the job, you sign up for it. You have to meet all the qualifications as a FT driver. Work is awarded by seniority and availability. In my building you accumulate time for progression from the time you qualify regardless of how much you work. Yes, you can be forced to work the holidays and Saturdays. With top rate at $24.74 an hour can be a very rewarding PT job. I am at 54K so far this year working PT and air exception work. Also anytime you deliver or pick up ground you are paid top driver rate. No guarantees on hours. You may work 20 hours or no hours for the week. Overtime after 8 instead of 5 including your PT job.

cb1969

The simple answers are as follows....1 it is a non bid meaning when ever and do what ever they want you to do. Usually Saturday work or covering for EAM, Air or Pick up routes.

2...by the contract it is by your part-time seniority...that being said that does not always happen...as an air exception driver the work is supposed to be offered in your pt building seniority order as long it does not interfere with your regular shift work....If you are talking about a regular temporary package car driver...then it is once you complete your thirty days then its by your pt seniority date til then the already qualified are senior til you qualify...Air exception is a sheet that sigh up showing that you are interested in doing if and when you are need...they post a sign up sheet every quarter by contract.

3...air exception progression works simply you start a 75% top pay then go through a 2 year progression starting the first day you preform air exception work with raises at 12, 18 and top at 24...If you win an air bid then every four days counts as 1 month making 8 days meaning 2 months..etc...so depending on the number of days you do air exception and if you win a bid air job before two years you could top out when you win the bid...

this happened for me...you must right down each day you do air exception work then after you when a bid and if adds up to 48 days then you will have to file a grievance to get it..

Bumping an old thread because I'm in a similar dilemma. How were you able to get proof about the amount of days coded as an air driver prior to winning a bid cb? 48 days would equal one year so I'm sure you meant to say 96 days for the 2 year top rate. Has anybody else been rewarded top rate prior to their 2 year anniversary of air driving?

PT Car Washer

The hours should be listed on your pay stub by the pay rate. Does not matter if you wok everyday or not, Contract says raise at 12 months, 18 months and top at 24 months.

Thanks PT I know that how it's supposed to happen but they aren't doing it that way for some reason. As I look into more I'm pretty sure that I was supposed to get top rate well before my 2 year date.