class action suit against u.p.s. by retirees

willybad

Does anybody here know if there is any legal recourse against u.p.s., for raising our retiree insurance 500 % ,in the last 2 years ? When i retired,I was promised my premium for health insurance would be $50 / mo.till I could get medicare . Last year it went up $150(300%),and this month it went up another $100 (200%).
This is a simple question. u.p.s. told me i have no legal recourse ,but they are the same ones who lied to me , about about how much my insurance premiums would cost,in the 1st place. I know there are people ,that are going to belittle me ,for not saving more,or for complaining, about paying $300 for health insurance,etc.,etc.,etc. I am looking for a simple yes ,or no answer,and why or why not.I thought ,maybe somebody on here, besides me,has had almost 10 % of their net retirement income disappear , and already looked in to it .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
did you call the Teamsters Pension Trust about this? If they can't give you an answer maybe they can suggest someone who can.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Does anybody here know if there is any legal recourse against u.p.s., for raising our retiree insurance 500 % ,in the last 2 years ? When i retired,I was promised my premium for health insurance would be $50 / mo.till I could get medicare . Last year it went up $150(300%),and this month it went up another $100 (200%).
This is a simple question. u.p.s. told me i have no legal recourse ,but they are the same ones who lied to me , about about how much my insurance premiums would cost,in the 1st place. I know there are people ,that are going to belittle me ,for not saving more,or for complaining, about paying $300 for health insurance,etc.,etc.,etc. I am looking for a simple yes ,or no answer,and why or why not.I thought ,maybe somebody on here, besides me,has had almost 10 % of their net retirement income disappear , and already looked in to it .
Promises mean nothing.
Promises were made by the Union, not UPS.
Fine print rules supreme!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Promises mean nothing.
Promises were made by the Union, not UPS.
Fine print rules supreme!
The promise was only til there's another contract just like any "promise" ups makes.

Now I can't really blame the op but moving forward I hope that people can figure out. A promise is not a legally binding contract...

oldupsman

As of the first of the year my premium was increased to $300 a month. Not to mention the large increases for my wife's
prescription costs. I'll be 64 shortly so I only have a year left on my UPS insurance so I'm just going to ride it out.
I'm not going to belittle you but personally I made sure I could withstand a change in health insurance or a change in
my pension before I retired. Because I didn't trust UPS or the Teamsters to keep their promises.

softshoe

Nothing is guaranteed. Look at how much the people in Central States are going to lose.

ski or die

Ski or Die
I remember in negotiating contracts, that we would forgo larger raises and accept smaller increase in wages in order to have more put into our pensions and insurance. Those were not only promises but negotiated items in writing. I am aware new contracts can change previous agreements. But at some point as future retirees approach their retirement, they will get a better understanding of what was agreed upon and taken away. That is one good thing about Bernie Sanders, he agrees what is happening to pensions and insurance is wrong.
And Rod, my insurance increases don't even begin to compare what they are doing to your pension. Maybe a class action suit would be worth a try. I have the book my Local gave me upon retirement indicating what my pension wages and insurance costs would be for life.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
The company did this to L705 retirees after negotiating the 2008 contract. L705 retirees were able to fight it in federal court (I believe it fell under ERISA), and kept their $50/mo until the "2013" contract was settled. I believe the gist of it was: in 2008, the co was jacking up only L705 retirees' costs; after "2013" they did it to everyone.

Try reading this article (I hope got the link right):
http://www.hr.cch.com/news/benefits/032610.asp

Or search for case #s 09C616, 09-2445, or 09-2553

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember in negotiating contracts, that we would forgo larger raises and accept smaller increase in wages in order to have more put into our pensions and insurance. Those were not only promises but negotiated items in writing. I am aware new contracts can change previous agreements. But at some point as future retirees approach their retirement, they will get a better understanding of what was agreed upon and taken away. That is one good thing about Bernie Sanders, he agrees what is happening to pensions and insurance is wrong.
And Rod, my insurance increases don't even begin to compare what they are doing to your pension. Maybe a class action suit would be worth a try. I have the book my Local gave me upon retirement indicating what my pension wages and insurance costs would be for life.

you just know some hot-shot lawyer is going to take that phrase and say "whos life are we talking about?"

willybad

The company did this to L705 retirees after negotiating the 2008 contract. L705 retirees were able to fight it in federal court (I believe it fell under ERISA), and kept their $50/mo until the "2013" contract was settled. I believe the gist of it was: in 2008, the co was jacking up only L705 retirees' costs; after "2013" they did it to everyone.

Try reading this article (I hope got the link right):
http://www.hr.cch.com/news/benefits/032610.asp

Or search for case #s 09C616, 09-2445, or 09-2553

willybad

After reading that article,I'm curious as to what has happened to the rest of the u.p.s. retirees . I know that I was a member of teamsters 710 local .(I have no idea how they even considered allowing the present 710 ,u.p.s. employees to vote on raising insurance premiums for retired employees .) Did this happen nationally too ? You ,u.p.s. ,teamster ,retirees in other locals ,did your insurance premiums go up $250 in the last year too ? Or was it just 710 ?

oldngray

nowhere special
After reading that article,I'm curious as to what has happened to the rest of the u.p.s. retirees . I know that I was a member of teamsters 710 local .(I have no idea how they even considered allowing the present 710 ,u.p.s. employees to vote on raising insurance premiums for retired employees .) Did this happen nationally too ? You ,u.p.s. ,teamster ,retirees in other locals ,did your insurance premiums go up $250 in the last year too ? Or was it just 710 ?

Search other threads. It has been discussed in great detail but basically Central States that retired before 2008 lose about half their pensions. We all got screwed over on insurance too but that was in the contract and the increase isn't as bad as originally proposed.

btw, retired can't vote on anything. It is all done by active employees.

rod

Retired 22 years
Search other threads. It has been discussed in great detail but basically Central States that retired before 2008 lose about half their pensions. We all got screwed over on insurance too but that was in the contract and the increase isn't as bad as originally proposed.

As far as pensions go supposedly we get to vote on whether or not our pension is cut. From what I understand if we vote no you are more or less voting to let the pension fund dissolve completely. There is a meeting coming up in the Twin Cities Jan. 25 being held by the US Treasury where we can voice our concerns (isn't that nice--I wonder what they will be) and from what I read in the Minneapolis paper after the meeting Ken Feinberg, a lawyer from the Treasury, will make his recommendation on whether or not to a let the cuts take place.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

i have learned that when you retire you become persona non grata. people dont treat you as well as when you were a good boy or girl and were contributing to the system. now they view you as a "taker" .

we call the teamsters benefit trust or the health insurance people and they dont even want to give you the time of day. they know you have practically no recourse.