class action suit against u.p.s. by retirees

rod

Retired 22 years
i have learned that when you retire you become persona non grata. people dont treat you as well as when you were a good boy or girl and were contributing to the system. now they view you as a "taker" .

we call the teamsters benefit trust or the health insurance people and they dont even want to give you the time of day. they know you have practically no recourse.

I quickly realized that about a month after I retired and the union people were in town talking to the boys. They all met at the same bar I was in that night. The Sec/Treasurer of the Local bought all the guys a beer but me (I wasn't really expecting him to but it would have been nice being that I had dealt with this guy for years). When I gave him a hard time about it he chuckled and said since I don't pay dues anymore no beer for me. When I left I bought him a beer just to prove I wasn't an a-hole like he was.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
that's why i have never stopped by the hub or union hall since i retired. i have seen how UPS treated retired drivers who came by for a visit. you think you were treated poorly when you worked there, see how they treat you when you are retired. they dont even know you.

and your own people ( Teamsters ) are almost as bad. I told the rep at the benefit trust that because of they way the treated us i will collect benefits longer than i worked even if i have to be hooked up to machines to stay alive. ha ha.

family? where can i go puke!

willybad

When I called the phone # u.p.s. sent me, (with the notice that my direct payment was going up)they told me there was nothing i could do about it,and in 3 years it would be going up again .At this rate ,before I'm able to go on medicare,I'll be paying more for my insurance than i receive in pension ! It would be nice to find out ,there was something we could do about it now,while u.p.s. is taking 10% of our pension than waiting till they take it all !

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Promises were made by the Union, not UPS.

I doubt any "promises" were made.

More like, a naive assumption.

1. Who made that promise to you?
2. Was the person who made that promise a legally authorized officer of the company?
3. Do you have that promise in writing?

Exactly.

I would love to see this in writing, especially the for life part.

No such thing.

Ask a retired management person, if their health care has that clause.

When I called the phone # u.p.s. sent me, (with the notice that my direct payment was going up)they told me there was nothing i could do about it,and in 3 years it would be going up again .At this rate ,before I'm able to go on medicare,I'll be paying more for my insurance than i receive in pension ! It would be nice to find out ,there was something we could do about it now,while u.p.s. is taking 10% of our pension than waiting till they take it all !

The Summary Plan Description rules. Have you read it ?

I agree it sucks, and you didn't plan for this.

But.... "caveat emptor" kind of applies.

willybad

So basically teamsters (who retirees can no longer vote into leadership) , gave the option to u.p.s.employees ,to get more money and benefits if they screwed the retirees (who can't vote on the contract anyways)! At least I can take some comfort knowing ,the current employees now know ,they can never trust u.p.s.,or teamsters to retire themselves . Just keep working till you can get disability ,or die ! That's the ticket !

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
So basically teamsters (who retirees can no longer vote into leadership) , gave the option to u.p.s.employees ,to get more money and benefits if they screwed the retirees (who can't vote on the contract anyways)! At least I can take some comfort knowing ,the current employees now know ,they can never trust u.p.s.,or teamsters to retire themselves . Just keep working till you can get disability ,or die ! That's the ticket !
you may be right but i knew that before retiring. i knew that all along. so i paid my house off in almost half the time, banked mortgage payments the last several years, maxed out the 401k every year and the IRA's. we have to accept some responsibility.

By The Book

There is usually language in the contracts that state the trustees of the plan can vote on these changes you mention. They do this to keep the plans solvent so current and future retirees have health care coverage. The pension trustees do the same with the pension fund.

The Milkman

Does anybody here know if there is any legal recourse against u.p.s., for raising our retiree insurance 500 % ,in the last 2 years ? When i retired,I was promised my premium for health insurance would be $50 / mo.till I could get medicare . Last year it went up $150(300%),and this month it went up another $100 (200%).
This is a simple question. u.p.s. told me i have no legal recourse ,but they are the same ones who lied to me , about about how much my insurance premiums would cost,in the 1st place. I know there are people ,that are going to belittle me ,for not saving more,or for complaining, about paying $300 for health insurance,etc.,etc.,etc. I am looking for a simple yes ,or no answer,and why or why not.I thought ,maybe somebody on here, besides me,has had almost 10 % of their net retirement income disappear , and already looked in to it .

When did you retire? I hung it up 1/1/08 and was told by Ups like yourself that my medical would be just like yours per month. When the new contract was approved by our Union Brothers/Sisters their acceptance caused or monthly fees to increase. They also in effect have placed them on themselves. These extra costs I believe are only going to go higher and higher each and every contract. Yes it whittles away at our net pension check, I get kicked off in May of 17, so at least I got quite a few years of what I was told I was to get each month. Plain and simple fact is we were lied to. Current retirees should of been left alone as in due time like myself you eventually reach 65 and get the boot. Those not retired yet will somewhere down the road get a taste of we got thanks to their yes votes.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
you may be right but i knew that before retiring. i knew that all along. so i paid my house off in almost half the time, banked mortgage payments the last several years, maxed out the 401k every year and the IRA's. we have to accept some responsibility.
Exactly what we did too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Now you know how all the part-timers feel about how drivers voted them as second or maybe third class brothers.

rod

Retired 22 years
Now you know how all the part-timers feel about how drivers voted them as second or maybe third class brothers.

Just shows how clueless you are when it comes to certain things. Part time has always cut their own throats by not getting involved in the contract negotiations. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

oldngray

nowhere special
Just shows how clueless you are when it comes to certain things. Part time has always cut their own throats by not getting involved in the contract negotiations. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

UPS also sold some contracts with bonuses to get the part timers vote. They looked at quick money and not long term impact.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS also sold some contracts with bonuses to get the part timers vote. They looked at quick money and not long term impact.

Good point. A few bucks always guaranteed a yes vote from part timers come contract time. If I remember right it was a $500 bonus for part time---about $325 after taxes. Pretty cheap buyouts. Full time got $1,000 ($670 after taxes).

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Good point. A few bucks always guaranteed a yes vote from part timers come contract time. If I remember right it was a $500 bonus for part time---about $325 after taxes. Pretty cheap buyouts. Full time got $1,000 ($670 after taxes).
i wonder what percentage of part timers are CAREER Upsers? probably pretty low that is very little interest in contracts. i know feeder and package must be in the high 90 percentile and their interest in contracts is piss-poor as well.

what was the voter turnout for the last contract ? 25 % ?

we are our own worst enemies.

PT Car Washer

You are so wrong. Most of us knew once the Union started a two tier wage system the company would not have reason to expand FT jobs while PT jobs exploded. But you go ahead and believe whatever makes you feel better.

oldngray

nowhere special
You are so wrong. Most of us knew once the Union started a two tier wage system the company would not have reason to expand FT jobs while PT jobs exploded. But you go ahead and believe whatever makes you feel better.

Those contracts that instituted the two tier system were the ones with bonuses. Coincidence?

Those working did realize the long term implications. As I said. And as I said the employees only looking at short term money took the cash and ran.

I was a red circled part timer so I did live through those events.