COLA for transfers?

cental34

Come this fall, I am looking to put in for an educational transfer to the Washington, DC area from the Memphis, TN area. I'm thinking I'm going to try for the Landover, MD hub. My question has to do with cost of living adjustments. Since there is a significant difference between the cost of living in Memphis and DC, it would not be possible to live off my current wages. A lot of the people I've talked to claim I would get a cost of living adjustment if I were to make such a move. One friend, who worked for Fed Ex, and made the same move, said she did recieve a cost of living adjustment. Could I expect the same from UPS as an hourly employee?

HazMatMan

Come this fall, I am looking to put in for an educational transfer to the Washington, DC area from the Memphis, TN area. I'm thinking I'm going to try for the Landover, MD hub. My question has to do with cost of living adjustments. Since there is a significant difference between the cost of living in Memphis and DC, it would not be possible to live off my current wages. A lot of the people I've talked to claim I would get a cost of living adjustment if I were to make such a move. One friend, who worked for Fed Ex, and made the same move, said she did recieve a cost of living adjustment. Could I expect the same from UPS as an hourly employee?

How much are you expecting to get?? Here in Metro NY we got 12 cents an hour cost of living adjustment. Or are you talking about actual pay rates??

cental34

I think I'm talking about actual pay rates. Not a yearly COLA, but a wage adjustment to match the higher cost of living. I'm not exactly sure what to expect. My FedEx friend said she was granted a $2 adjustment in order to match the cost of living in DC.

HazMatMan

I think I'm talking about actual pay rates. Not a yearly COLA, but a wage adjustment to match the higher cost of living. I'm not exactly sure what to expect. My FedEx friend said she was granted a $2 adjustment in order to match the cost of living in DC.

Good question then. One would assume they would adjust your pay rate but you know what happens when you assume. Only question is, what if I transfer from a big city to a small city, do I take a pay cut??? I am sure you will get your question answered on here, i'm sure someone has done it, good luck..

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I doubt it. IMO the most you could hope for would be if you do get this transfer & retain your company seniority, would be they put you at the rate you would be at had you started at the MD hub on your seniority date. And I can't imagine they'd be all that much higher. If it were me I would be looking for all the extra work in the building to pick up more $$$. Get into the work area with the longest shift, look for other areas needing help to wrap, if you see supes working demand that work, call-in lists for other shifts, etc. Those were some of the strategies I used last Peak, when I took time off from my day job to be a Driver Helper, then wasn't used. Or there's always the p/t supe route. Hope this helps.