confused over new wages

I'm here for 2years as a pre loader I make $11.50 so on 8/1/18 if the proposed contract goes through I will make $13 here is where I am confused..........,

On 8/1/19 the new start rate is $14 yet general wage increase says .75 so will I make $14 or $13.75. I think $14 but want to make sure.

mikejonesjr

You have been here 2 years. They proposed to get rid of part time progression which means you will make the same as a new hire who walks in this week. That's UPS saying thanks for nothing..you deserve to make more than them. VOTE NO! and tell anyone else you can to do the same.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Although for the record a 4 year driver makes the same as a 35 year driver and it's not as if anyone is suggesting that it's unfair.

I suppose the assumption is, is that after 4 years, those "new" drivers are capable of working as well as the veterans of dozens of peaks.

And it makes some sense. (Still should be moved back to 2 years, or less, though. I remember stories from back when it took only 30 days. Good luck getting UPS to give up any concessions they've ever managed to get, though...)

I'd fully support a pay progression for part timers.
ASSUMING, they would make that pay rate the same as the top part timer in the building.

But please don't pretend they're just doing us like they do the drivers. A guy who has driven for UPS for 4 years, and a brand new unloader are two completely different animals.

No comparison at all.

Days

Although for the record a 4 year driver makes the same as a 35 year driver and it's not as if anyone is suggesting that it's unfair.

Not really. At the end of the contract a new driver at top rate would make 4.15 less than a driver at top rate who had been hired before 2018. That's not the same as part timers.

cachmeifucan

Sad is its confusing because our national union doesn't want you to figure out how much your getting screwed. The company probably tells them I don't care how you spin it just make sure it passes.