Considering making the swap from driver to management

542thruNthru

Management creates the plan that labor executes. What do you want to do?

latest.gif

j13501

And ideally I want to go ORS and probably climb when able or switch over to the feeder department and be an ORS there to go the lazy route
Please stay a driver. Not because management is bad, as so many of others have told you, but because it is difficult and you need to have a goal of moving up to sustain yourself. I've know a few drivers who went into management because they thought it was easier. They ended up disappointed and dissatisfied. An on-road supervisor works many hours, but if your goal is to advance, then the hours are worth the effort. From your post, it appears that you're just looking for an easier job.

Another factor is re-location. You may think you have the best job, that you're doing well and then someone will come to you and ask you to move to another city to add to your experience and build your chances for promotion. Do you want that? If you're married, does your spouse want that?
If you go into management, do it because you want the opportunity to advance in the company and have increasing levels of responsibility; that will be personally rewarding and also financially rewarding.

Finally, don't think the Teamsters union is going away. UPS and the Teamsters are bound together for all time. UPS is the largest employer of Teamsters in the country. The entire "dance" of contract negotiations is based on the concept that the Teamsters need UPS and UPS needs the Teamsters to cooperate so it can run the business. Unions are not bad. But they have to make sure they don't "kill the goose that laid the golden egg". Then everyone loses.
Hope you make a good decision.

clean hairy

Every driver I know that applied to be a ORS changed their mind when they found out what the starting pay was.

I believe it's around $60k a year.
Also, you will have to pay for your own health insurance.
They can have you pack up your stuff, and send you off to a different hub as often as they want as well.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Anyone notice how almost all of the long term management posters on BC are MIA? We're stuck with all the dip:censored2:s posing as union members. Wonder what that means? Did corona get them while huddled in their offices? Or have they all moved on to much better jobs at much better companies? Something to think about...

MisplacedRailWorker

an absolute *ing disgrace of a human being.
Have my CDL so feeders is an option. and I hit top rate in a month.
Highly debating swapping to management for more opportunities.
Say it all goes well what would our think is a fair starting salary?
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.
Well if you'd like my advice, and followed my suggestion re LinkedIn, you would realize what the hell you were thinking when you thought that you might convert to management instead of feeders? Please give me your bid you could be my manager and fire me every day! Remember when you go management, you forbid yourself ever going back…

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
Then you're just underpaid driver. Especially if your oil on a totem pole you are definitely going out of town
I see what you did there...

The oil is a metaphor for the man making the slope slippery limiting your elevation.

Hence, supervisors are all in place to keep your spinning in your tracks.
tenor.gif

Or just stop typing so fast lol

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
Have my CDL so feeders is an option. and I hit top rate in a month.
Highly debating swapping to management for more opportunities.
Say it all goes well what would our think is a fair starting salary?
Any tips you have? Anything I should know going in? I’m looking for outsider advice. My best friend is a supervisor so I do know a lot more then most going into it.
It's easier to ruin a manager's career than a Teamster's. Stay with us and enjoy their suffering, cause NAAAAAAAAAAAANCYYYYYYYYYY is making them more miserable than before.