Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Pension contributions for every hour worked not just the first 8? The problem with excessive OT is that it's cheaper for UPS after 8 then the first 8.

Gimme Danger

Teamcare to have an enhanced benefit like we have on the east coast. One physical and one dental cleaning in the calendar year qualifies you for zero deductible and reduced prescription cost.
I don't think that is an 'east coast' enhanced benefit, just our local. Glad you like something our current local administration did to enhance our benefits.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

That's called the 9.5 list. Most don't have a big enough pair to sign it
9.5 does not guarantee you don't work past 9.5, not that that matters to some one who needs to be off in 8 or 7.5 to make some children's event. Also, it could lead to a target being put on someone's back, just for challenging status quo. How does that help someone running and gunning to avoid discipline, exactly?

9.5 does not guarantee you don't work past 9.5, not that that matters to some one who needs to be off in 8 or 7.5 to make some children's event. Also, it could lead to a target being put on someone's back, just for challenging status quo. How does that help someone running and gunning to avoid discipline, exactly?
You gotta make your stand, been there done that. Do your job the correct way and then tell them to friend O.

Inthegame

Guarantee pension for current employees at years in... Have option to opt out future pension years for a 4 % match 401k. But you can't have both in same year. Make it more beneficial for Co and employee to wean off the pension system in a set number of years but all your current years are grandfathered in. A 6% match may be the right number..What do you think?
I think I'm glad you're not on any negotiating committee.

clean hairy

15 min break for p/t.
In the larger hubs, 10 min barely gives a person time to get from work area to bathroom, and back to work area. Better hope not much of a line, or you run over the 10.

Gear

Parts on Order
Again, you're in the minority.
Some of the automatic shifters push so hard the mechanic had to bolt an angle onto the dash and console because the console was about to fall off when you have to slam it into park position even after numerous lubes and replaced cables.

Many young drivers leave the ebrake tension loose because it tears at your shoulder and triceps to crank it tight enough to keep the truck from moving in first gear.

He needs to replace the shifter and cable. When it gets hard to shift, replace them again. "Lubing" the cable will do absolutely nothing, he might as well write, "parts on order". I hate when guys dance around a repair when its something that constantly effects your day. If we get rid of the progression or update the rate of progression, we can stop hiring the only guy who applied for the job. So many new know it all guys getting hired around here. Meanwhile they can't fix a sandwich. But thats what you get with $21 an hour starting wage.

10 Pt

He needs to replace the shifter and cable. When it gets hard to shift, replace them again. "Lubing" the cable will do absolutely nothing, he might as well write, "parts on order". I hate when guys dance around a repair when its something that constantly effects your day. If we get rid of the progression or update the rate of progression, we can stop hiring the only guy who applied for the job. So many new know it all guys getting hired around here. Meanwhile they can't fix a sandwich. But thats what you get with $21 an hour starting wage.
They replaced the cable but I'm not sure about the shifter. He lubed the truck I drove and it worked great again.

Seems like we don't have parts or even tires in stock anymore. Thank you for your help.

10 Pt

BTW...I'll trade him pensions any day. (IAM)

km3

15 min break for p/t.
In the larger hubs, 10 min barely gives a person time to get from work area to bathroom, and back to work area. Better hope not much of a line, or you run over the 10.

That's why you go to the john 15 minutes before break starts, or 15 minutes after it ends.

10 Pt

Our mechanic (we used to have two) is a really good one. He owns his own shop were he makes great money. He's probably here for the pension and the healthcare. He's over 50 yrs old and is close to retirement.
We're going to miss him.

barnyard

KTM rider
A 6% match may be the right number..What do you think?

Way too low. I am contributing 14% into my 401k. If UPS were to contribute the same into my 401k as they are towards my retirement, it would have to be somewhere in the 2:1 range.

My idea of a defined contribution would be a specific dollar amount per hour or 40 hours. To prevent people from taking the money and running, you would have vesting percentages for years of service. Employees could then further enrich their retirement accounts by contributing on top of the UPS contribution.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Someone mentioned 'transferability' as being a negative for UPS, as it could increase training costs. This could be an issue with allowing company transfers nationwide. How could such concerns be addressed?

Some ideas I've had:

1.Transfers only allowed into like classification; if you are a package car driver you can only transfer into an open package car bid. Exceptions can be made if there is an exceptional need in location being transferred to and the transferee qualifies, eg a package car driver or even a PTmer with a Class A and needed endorsements can transfer into a needed open feeder bid, or a current article 22.3 that was in package can transfer into a package car bid if there is a shortage.

2.Transfer would not be allowed until a replacement for transferee is found, whether from the desired locale or a request for transfer in by someone from another local. In cities with an adequate number of TCDs and qualified drivers finding a replacement would be less burdensome and a problem, so it may be easier to leave such locals.

It would be nice to require the company to be required to maintain a list of qualified operators in each hub, training those desiring training so rather than wait for an acute need tof arise.
Transfers won't happen until we have a nationwide retirement plan.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Guarantee pension for current employees at years in... Have option to opt out future pension years for a 4 % match 401k. But you can't have both in same year. Make it more beneficial for Co and employee to wean off the pension system in a set number of years but all your current years are grandfathered in. A 6% match may be the right number..What do you think?
No match at all.

The company puts like $400 a week into our pension fund.

I'll give them a 25% break for me having control of my money. Put $300 a week into my 401k.

A 6% match is letting them off stupid cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.