Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Because you are incorrect in saying all of those variables are readily available. The data flow from the customers is not that good yet.
So....you're saying these measurements are entered into our system By the shipper and are used in calculating shipping fees, but can't be queried for our allowances?

Buddy, you may need to consider that you may not be as "in the know" as you appear to believe you are.
JS

brownIEman

Was it raining that day?
Did he get stopped by 30% red lights?
Did that 50lb box have to be carried around to the back door.....or up 3 flights of stairs today, instead of a quick front porch DR?

Should night keep going?

You can if you want but I get your point. You would prefer UPS not ever measure or challenge a driver over performance because you believe it is pointless to do so.
If UPS did as you want company wide they would wind up in the red.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sorry, my bad. I was unclear. By miserable SOB I did not mean you are personally miserable in your life, I meant miserable as in its a miserable experience for other people to be around your negativity and smug us vs themness.

I am glad there is nothing I can take from you. As I said, I find the game stupid and refuse to play, so there is absolutely nothing I would take from you even if I could. Enjoy.
While I am conversing with you, "you" was euphemism, used metaphorically for "the Company".

If you are as you say, you are the exception and not the rule.

We are products of our environment.

brownIEman

So....you're saying these measurements are entered into our system By the shipper and are used in calculating shipping fees, but can't be queried for our allowances?

Buddy, you may need to consider that you may not be as "in the know" as you appear to believe you are.
JS

And you may need to consider that there might be just as many variables in various data systems archetecture as there are in a drivers day. It is not one giant monolithic database anyone can build queries for.
I might not be totally in the know but my experience includes about 12 years in TSG. how many did you have?

Take dim weight. Some customers us shipping software that calculates dim weight charges but does not upload that days to UPS. THERE are also still customers on pickup books if you can believe that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You can if you want but I get your point. You would prefer UPS not ever measure or challenge a driver over performance because you believe it is pointless to do so.
If UPS did as you want company wide they would wind up in the red.
No, I want you to challenge me with real life, real time observations, based on something other than an average set over a virtual time study or 3 day ride three years ago.

When you do that, you'll realize there's very little to talk about.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And you may need to consider that there might be just as many variables in various data systems archetecture as there are in a drivers day. It is not one giant monolithic database anyone can build queries for.
Yet somehow it all comes together for billing purposes?
Yea, right.
It's 2017 and the mega computer age, so yes I do believe it's "one giant monolithic database" at the end of the day.
THERE are also still customers on pickup books if you can believe that.
Would it be fair to say that would be far less than one percent of the packages that enter our system daily?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.
Kind of like when they tell us that the computers can't reconcile helper time in less than an hour increment?

Hence, "keep your helper for 4.99 hours".

We're talking about the difference of what can be done, and what they are willing to do.

brownIEman

Kind of like when they tell us that the computers can't reconcile helper time in less than an hour increment?

Hence, "keep your helper for 4.99 hours".

We're talking about the difference of what can be done, and what they are willing to do.

That one I'll agree is total bull fertilizer. I never instructed any of my drivers to do that unless I was DIRECTLY ordered to (and I usually tried very hard to stay out of situations where I would get such a direct order) And then I felt like I needed three showers afterward.

brownIEman

In a sense you are correct. UPS could collect the data and try to come up with a formula for applying specific weight and size for each actual package. It would not be like flipping a switch as you seem to think and would likely involve potentially millions of dollars worth of code design development and testing.

Now if UPS spent that kind of money on developing that improved accuracy package allowance, do you really think in the long run you would get more of an allowance? Or do you think in the current environment some miserable SOB of a former operations manager at corporate would make dann sure it resulted in a net loss of allowance? Would you take a wager?

In any event it would not even address your other variables like percentage of red lights and floors.

brownIEman

The exchanges between @brownIEman and @Bubblehead is almost comical.

Bubble is pointing out salient, and valid points.

Whereas, IE dude is trying to rationalize his position with company talking points.

And.... he is trying to invoke some sort of "contract speak" to make a point ?

I can't stop laughing.

-Bug-

If that's your take you are not comprehending what you are reading because that is not what is happening here.

I am happy you are entertained though. You're welcome.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If that's your take you are not comprehending what you are reading because that is not what is happening here.

My comprehension level, is well beyond your pay grade.

So....

What exactly was your contribution to this thread ?

As far as contract proposals ?

I welcome all comers.

-Bug-

brownIEman

My comprehension level, is well beyond your pay grade.

So....

What exactly was your contribution to this thread ?

As far as contract proposals ?

I welcome all comers.

-Bug-

When it comes to smarmy comments on an internet froum I assure you nothing is beyond my pay grade.

I came here initially merely clarifying wide loads interaction with a brother. So since you seem offended by the derail I will bring it back to that. Your brother wide load would like an addition to Article 37. Immediately following the sentence about employees will treat other employees and the employer with respect add the following "Calling employees or employer 'maroon by employer or other employees shall in no circumstance be considered a violation of this article '

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Your brother wide load would like an addition to Article 37. Immediately following the sentence about employees will treat other employees and the employer with respect add the following "Calling employees or employer 'maroon by employer or other employees shall in no circumstance be considered a violation of this article '

@wide load.... never said that. Stop trying to put words in his mouth.

(and you're not even quoting the language correctly)

What's your contract proposal ?

I'm all ears.

-Bug-

A

Article 3

In a sense you are correct. UPS could collect the data and try to come up with a formula for applying specific weight and size for each actual package. It would not be like flipping a switch as you seem to think and would likely involve potentially millions of dollars worth of code design development and testing.

Now if UPS spent that kind of money on developing that improved accuracy package allowance, do you really think in the long run you would get more of an allowance? Or do you think in the current environment some miserable SOB of a former operations manager at corporate would make dann sure it resulted in a net loss of allowance? Would you take a wager?

In any event it would not even address your other variables like percentage of red lights and floors.
Inputting the floor in the info for the stop used to give an allotment per floor. It's been years ago but I think I still have the documentation on that. It was 20+ seconds per floor.

Since we used to only turn right the red lights were not allotted any extra time.
image (2).gif

Now we have a lot more time on Orion.

brownIEman

Oh and I missed this part. These measurements are not entered into OUR system by all shippers. Many shippers use 3rd party systems or their own software developed in house (usually so it can tie in seamlessly with their own data systems) to do their shipping. They import our rate tables, but it is not UPS's software they use for shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.