Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckwithapipboy

"All FT sups must wear a shock dog collar that will deliver a charge once their voice reaches above one decibel. Charge level to be determined by the seniority level of the nearest PT worker logged into their scanner."

I agree with the PT wage increases, but we would also need to have a stronger provision about the volume-staffing ratio for the load lines specifically so they wouldn't go back and have yet another bogus reason to understaff every day.

Full PT benefits at nine months instead of a year.

Eliminate superficial PT seniority benefits such as letting people go home early based on rank.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Has anyone done the math on their proposals? $2 to $5 raise is $1.4 billion to $3.125 billion just in raises from the bottom (not that they aren't deserved)? If you give benefits after 3 to 6 months, that is $3.75 billion to $2.25 billion. That is a rough estimate based on 200,000 to 250,000 employees.
Money has to come from somewhere.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Has anyone done the math on their proposals? $2 to $5 raise is $1.4 billion to $3.125 billion just in raises from the bottom (not that they aren't deserved)? If you give benefits after 3 to 6 months, that is $3.75 billion to $2.25 billion. That is a rough estimate based on 200,000 to 250,000 employees.
Money has to come from somewhere.
We raises prices 6% every year like clockwork.

They also raised the divedend 5 cents. That's a 175 million dollar raise for themselves and stockholders.

Last edited:

clean hairy

In the Southern, Full time gets increases in their pension amount upon retirement.
Yet, P/T retirement amount stays the same each year.

Gear

Parts on Order
Id like to see the mechanic progression go away. Or atleast have the progression based off of the current top rate and not the top rate from the late 90s. I think its currently based of off 1999 or 1998 top rate. They want to hire journeyman mechanics. This is someone who can do bumper to bumper repairs with zero help. Which is something you achieve overs years. Cant expect to found any real journeymen who will accept a starting pay of $21. We're going on almost 2 decades with the same starting wage. Meanwhile top rate has gone up almost $10. Need to shorten the gap.

Brownslave688

Id like to see the mechanic progression go away. Or atleast have the progression based off of the current top rate and not the top rate from the late 90s. I think its currently based of off 1999 or 1998 top rate. They want to hire journeyman mechanics. This is someone who can do bumper to bumper repairs with zero help. Which is something you achieve overs years. Cant expect to found any real journeymen who will accept a starting pay of $21. We're going on almost 2 decades with the same starting wage. Meanwhile top rate has gone up almost $10. Need to shorten the gap.
Sounds like they need to do something like my wife's employer did.

The used to have a 4 year progression 10k raise per year no experience or 30 years didn't matter. You went through progression. Guess what only new grads applied.

Now their progression is 7 years with a 30k raise to top out but it's based off of years of experience . So someone with 10 years is going to hire on immediately at full scale.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
9.5 opt off.
Any and all penalties (even a single day) would be automatically reflected in the following weeks paycheck.

No employee shall be disciplined for exceeding personal time, missed scans, AM or PM scan checks or any other form of information technology based on data received from the DIAD/ IVIS.

No driver will be scheduled for more than (1) days ride per year, such day will not be used for disciplinary purposes.

Technology to be used for running the business, package tracking or customer services only. Technology will not be used to discipline.

(Progressive discipline for any driver not taking meal during or recording delivery between the 4th and 5th? Lol joking.)

I like how you think.

And as UpstateNYUPSer has pointed out numerous times, maybe it's time to look at a two-tier system. If part-timers are loathe to go into driving, maybe the workload is simply too much.

UPS's earnings sucked last quarter (according to Wall Street expectations) so where does the next generation of drivers come from?

Two-tier system for drivers ?

How would that work ?

Graduated loads ?

A 4 year wage progression, is contentious enough.

Thanks for playing. ;)

If you give benefits after 3 to 6 months, that is $3.75 billion to $2.25 billion. That is a rough estimate based on 200,000 to 250,000 employees.

I understand what you're saying, but your math is flawed.

The company is not hiring that many. See what I mean ?

We raises prices 6% every year like clockwork.

Valid point.

But, the price of everything goes up.... every year.

They also raised the divedend 5 cents. That's a 175 million dollar raise for themselves and stockholders.

Union members that hold UPS stock, won't complain.

I wonder why.... that financial "love" didn't filter down to lower level management ??

:biggrin:

-Bug-

BROWNCAT

This.

And...

a) A raise for PTers from $10.00/hr to $15.00/hr.

b) More Art 22.3 positions.

At least I know that here at local 804 part-timers will have to get a $15.00 starting wage because of the increased minimum wage in NYC, Westchester County, Nassau County and Suffolk County. As of right now minimum wage here is $10.00 with a dollar increase every January 1 of every year till reaching $15. Well see how that goes...

km3

At least I know that here at local 804 part-timers will have to get a $15.00 starting wage because of the increased minimum wage in NYC, Westchester County, Nassau County and Suffolk County. As of right now minimum wage here is $10.00 with a dollar increase every January 1 of every year till reaching $15. Well see how that goes...

With the federal minimum wage for federal contractors being $10.15 or $10.20 (whatever it is these days), UPS always used that as an excuse to not give out full raises. Somebody who should've gotten a $0.50 raise ($10.00 to $10.50) got a $0.35 raise ($10.15 to $10.50), etc..

People under $15.00/hr probably won't be getting any raises for a good while in that scenario. Better to just change the rates in the contract.

Brownslave688

Lots of unions are against this. The reasoning is while you may only make $10 an hour your overall compensation is more like $25-$30 an hour.

Gear

Parts on Order
Sounds like they need to do something like my wife's employer did.

The used to have a 4 year progression 10k raise per year no experience or 30 years didn't matter. You went through progression. Guess what only new grads applied.

Now their progression is 7 years with a 30k raise to top out but it's based off of years of experience . So someone with 10 years is going to hire on immediately at full scale.

That progression sounds fair and makes sense.
But it definitely wouldn't be considered union fair.

Brownslave688

That progression sounds fair and makes sense.
But it definitely wouldn't be considered union fair.
There's a difference in what you guys do and what a ups driver does.

A mechanic that's been working 10 years should have no problem jumping right in. A guy that's been delivering bread for 10 years isn't gonna have a clue what ups delivery is like.

So I see how the experience thing would work with mechanics. I mean it's the exact same job.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Let's see, what the "hive" at the BrownCafe has to say.

Be realistic.

Don't be stupid.

It's an honest question, and I would like honest answers.

I'll start:

1) Maintain H&W.... and improvements.

2) Maintain our pension.... and improvements

(including a cost of living increase for retirees)

3) Eliminate 17-I from the Central Region supplement

It's your turn.

Go.

-Bug-
Half hour lunch for package/feeder, with 2- 15 minute paid breaks.

BROWNCAT

Lots of unions are against this. The reasoning is while you may only make $10 an hour your overall compensation is more like $25-$30 an hour.

I'm one of them against it... $15 minimum is too much of a stretch... everything else goes up because there isn't such a thing as an entry level pay available anymore... One example is the dollar menu (dollar and more) in McD already was put to sleep here...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

And....

We have winner.

Don't look at the bottom line (as in wages)

Does the average UPS driver, know what the $amount is being paid in benefits ??

Cool. (in keeping with the thread topic)

What do you get now ?

-Bug-

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
No thanks. I'll take the hour thanks. 60 routes in my center, at -.50 for lunch, that's 30 hours. You just cut almost 4 routes for that idea. Nooooo thank you!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm one of them against it... $15 minimum is too much of a stretch... everything else goes up because there isn't such a thing as an entry level pay available anymore... One example is the dollar menu (dollar and more) in McD already was put to sleep here...

Does your Mickey D's have automated ordering?

Brownslave688

And they'll just be replaced by kiosks. It's already happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.