Contract proposals for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManInBrown

When I left, virtually all discharges were someway attached to dishonesty.
1. Cardinal sin. can't work while disputing.
2. Offer your job back (without back pay). Same BS move.

I don't see that changing. I do suspect the day is coming when they are not going to offer the job back, and try to make some examples. Then the super duper screwing of all super screwing will commence.
I hate to sound negative, but things have been on a downtrend for awhile. This snowball is huge now.
Soon will be hearing horrible rumors of losing this and that along with our first born child. So when they offer to let us keep our first born, we're tickled pink and accept the screwing again - and thank god for having a job. Happens every contract! Good luck, my brothers!
In my entire career as a driver at UPS. I have yet to see someone walked off and not come back. No driver has been fired. And we have some real dandy's in my center. The closest I have seen to someone being fired, is a driver was out for about 9 months, and then right before it went to panel or arbitration, whatever they call it. He was offered his job back with no back pay, or he could take his chances at panel. He took no back pay.

The thing that is most scary to me is, they can put you out of a job for a long time, waiting around to see if you get it back. I'm a good employee with a clean file so I don't ever imagine being in that position, but it sure seems unfair.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
In my entire career as a driver at UPS. I have yet to see someone walked off and not come back. No driver has been fired. And we have some real dandy's in my center. The closest I have seen to someone being fired, is a driver was out for about 9 months, and then right before it went to panel or arbitration, whatever they call it. He was offered his job back with no back pay, or he could take his chances at panel. He took no back pay.

The thing that is most scary to me is, they can put you out of a job for a long time, waiting around to see if you get it back. I'm a good employee with a clean file so I don't ever imagine being in that position, but it sure seems unfair.
9 months for panel?

ManInBrown

9 months for panel?
Whatever last option is. Panel, arbitration? I'm not sure but it's the one at the end. I think it might have been even more than 9 months. Might have been a year. This wasn't this drivers first rodeo. His file was thick. They gave him the option of coming back with no back pay and last chance. He took it.

twoweeled

Only if you consider another 5 years very soon.
considering most of us will spend 30-45 years there. Plus who knows how long after retirement. 5 years is soon. That's just one contract. How many contracts have we been through. Yes, it's soon for me. But it's relative to the individual.

twoweeled

That is exactly what I meant. It's the game played. They discharge you for "dishonesty". Stealing time is the most common GIGANTIC UMBRELLA, encompassing many different things. May be as serious as falling asleep for hours, to getting a cup of coffee without being on break. They hold you off of work through grievance procedure, and you know they are going to deny that one. Just procedure, nothing more. Then they old you outta work for however has been decided to teach you a lesson. Then they offer you your job back without pay. Sad thing, is the company nor the Union wants to go to arbitration. Cost money, and it takes time. You push the choice of arbitration, and the reality is, neither side is thrilled about it. You've just thrown a wrench into the way things "normally"work. Sad that this has become the norm.

Inthegame

IBT is planning pretty good regarding it's officers pension(s).
Another swing and a miss. Like most locals, our officers pensions are the same as the members. In some UPS locals in the Central, officers/agents pensions are worse.
The IBT seems to have one main focus. Keeping the dues coming in.
Strike two...If dues was all that concerned the IBT why didn't they legally charge back dues on retro checks for any UPS employee? Our local union lost close to $56,000 by not getting dues increases for those 7 months. Why does the IBT continue to negotiate improved benefit contributions that don't raise one cent of dues revenue?
You need some batting practice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Another swing and a miss. Like most locals, our officers pensions are the same as the members. In some UPS locals in the Central, officers/agents pensions are worse.
Strike two...If dues was all that concerned the IBT why didn't they legally charge back dues on retro checks for any UPS employee? Our local union lost close to $56,000 by not getting dues increases for those 7 months. Why does the IBT continue to negotiate improved benefit contributions that don't raise one cent of dues revenue?
You need some batting practice.

Our BA told us that they (our local) decided not to take back dues "because they were being nice". I didn't realize that it was a national thing.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Our BA told us that they (our local) decided not to take back dues "because they were being nice". I didn't realize that it was a national thing.
They were trying save face nationally, in the wake of a huge PR nightmare for the IBT.
It was a drop in the bucket compared to what they gained dues-wise over the course of the 5 year contract.....and beyond.

Last edited:

anHOURover

Just like when the
Oops...

TDU talks a lot of smack. :biggrin:

Bug people are bringing up good points and facts and all you do is say Tdu and say we are wrong. You need to open your eyes.
We are sooo short on our promised article 22 jobs. They rarely get filled in my local.
If they are reposted the job is changed to be very unattractive to everyone. 2 hour lunches or split pay jobs. FACT
LISTEN TO THE MEMBERS MR KNOWIT ALL

Coldworld

60 months and counting
considering most of us will spend 30-45 years there. Plus who knows how long after retirement. 5 years is soon. That's just one contract. How many contracts have we been through. Yes, it's soon for me. But it's relative to the individual.
45 years.... Lmao...to quote one of @UpstateNYUPSer little sayings...."not this kid!!!"

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Just like when the

Bug people are bringing up good points and facts and all you do is say Tdu and say we are wrong. You need to open your eyes.
We are sooo short on our promised article 22 jobs. They rarely get filled in my local.
If they are reposted the job is changed to be very unattractive to everyone. 2 hour lunches or split pay jobs. FACT
Totally agree... Not sure if the bugmeister was calling me tdu or what but only thing I know about those wannabes is what I read on this site so not sure where he got that from...

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Just like when the

Your local and employees should be enforcing the contract. There should be a list on file.

Inthegame

They were trying save face nationally, in the wake of a huge PR nightmare for the IBT.
It was a drop in the bucket compared to what they gained dues-wise over the course of the 5 year contract.....and beyond.
And you would prefer the IBT (and locals) not negotiate raises for their members?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
And you would prefer the IBT (and locals) not negotiate raises for their members?
Sure???...but that isn't what we were talking about???

Are you saying that dues aren't predicated on our hourly rate of pay?

There are many who would have accepted a smaller raise, in order to keep superior benefits and work conditions....

....yet we have what we have.

Last edited:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Your local and employees should be enforcing the contract. There should be a list on file.
Where can these employees reference this "list"???....

....and if it actually exists, how do you suppose they cross reference this "list" with other locals when a 22.3 job is supposedly "moved"???

Seeing that this is a national issue, governed by national language, shouldn't it be policed by the International?
Don't we have enough to do locally, while paying ample dues, to have this national issue policed by the IBT?

After all, these jobs are assigned a number???

Help me understand???

Inthegame

Sure???...but that isn't what we were talking about???
I have no idea what you're talking about. An uniformed retiree thinks all the IBT cares about is dues, I point out instances that defeats his ridiculous position, you agree with him, and then post this inanity.
You do understand locals and the IBT need additional revenue each year just to match the negotiated raises and benefit pkgs, not to mention utilities and numerous other cost increases.
Losing $56K isn't a drop in any bucket in my book.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not sure if the bugmeister was calling me tdu or what

Nah.

Was just trying to draw a parallel.

We are sooo short on our promised article 22 jobs.

Where do you get that information from ?

They rarely get filled in my local.
If they are reposted the job is changed to be very unattractive to everyone. 2 hour lunches or split pay jobs.

There is no contract violation for changing a 22.3 job content.

There is no contract violation for moving a vacated 22.3 job to another local.

So I'm not sure of your point.

It doesn't help.... when 22.3 people don't work their entire shift, and go home everyday.

-Bug-

Status
Not open for further replies.