Contract PT Pay vs FedEx now

MAKAVELI

For sure, but why would you want to live there? Rather live in AZ if I'm gonna move to the desert.
There are areas along the coast that are different and less expensive than the metro areas as well. More expensive than the desert but worth it.

brown_trousers

I'm in no way saying that $13hr. is good or remotely acceptable, but we all have to start somewhere. The notion that you'll have it all on day one is unrealistic.
Says the guy that bought a house in cali, at 20 years old, while working preload :)

Tell me... does a 2 year preloader in north cali still get paid enough to buy a house?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Says the guy that bought a house in cali, at 20 years old, while working preload :)

Tell me... does a 2 year preloader in north cali still get paid enough to buy a house?
Doubtful, but you're making it sound like $100,000 in '89 was easy. I scrapped, I had a second job, I had been working since 12 years old, multiple paper routes. Nothing was handed to me. No parental help, cosign, nada.

My responses were just to complaints of it being impossible. It's not impossible if you're willing to do what it takes. Many of the preloaders from my building own homes. They have second jobs. They start small, and work up. It's not realistic to think you're going to live the California dream on part time wages though. If you're not willing to move to full time driving, then I guess you're accepting a tough existence here.

brown_trousers

It's not realistic to think you're going to live the California dream on part time wages though. If you're not willing to move to full time driving, then I guess you're accepting a tough existence here.
The california dream is killing us up here in portland. Moving to portland must somehow be a part of that dream, because there is an awful lot of californians moving up here. :)

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
The california dream is killing us up here in portland. Moving to portland must somehow be a part of that dream, because there is an awful lot of californians moving up here. :)
Cheaper to live there and taxes are way less.

Are the Calis moving into Portland Proper or in the burbs or even further out?

I know OR passed laws to tax land ownership over 1 acre about 20 years ago.
Did that slow down the Cali gobble?

sandwich

The resident gearhead
giphy (11).gif

WTFm8

Anybody take advantage of Washington having no state income tax and Oregon not having sales tax?

Or Wyoming and Montana.

That's a dream of mine. Hahaha

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Doubtful, but you're making it sound like $100,000 in '89 was easy. I scrapped, I had a second job, I had been working since 12 years old, multiple paper routes. Nothing was handed to me. No parental help, cosign, nada.

My responses were just to complaints of it being impossible. It's not impossible if you're willing to do what it takes. Many of the preloaders from my building own homes. They have second jobs. They start small, and work up. It's not realistic to think you're going to live the California dream on part time wages though. If you're not willing to move to full time driving, then I guess you're accepting a tough existence here.
Hey! Hey! Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement bro. We're in the same WCT. Washington here. Looking at about 4-years and then it's my turn. How much pension a month is it for us in the West with 81-82 contributory points? If you don't mind me asking. Is the health $390 single, $780 married? Is there any optical or dental plans as a retiree? I'm assuming it's just medical for $390/$780.

Two more questions. How much would your "modest home" sell for today in California? And, did you say you never called in sick or never used a sick day your whole career?

Sorry one more. Do we get our entire sick bank paid out immediately after retirement?

Oops sorry a few more. What becomes of our 401(k) and Pacific Coast Benefits Trust? Our trust fund... Does it get rolled into some other investment arm? I'm thinking you're not 60 yet. I'll ask these questions and set up a meeting at a later point. Thought I'd just see what you can tell me now.

Thanks

Heavy Package

To me, UPS was never about what you started out with, but what you ended up with. When I left, I was making $100,000+, had full medical no copays free prescriptions, 9 weeks vacation annually, sick days, union protection, and a pension/finish line. No burger joint, hardware store, or even FedEx have that potential.

All that being said, UPS needs to step up to a decent starting wage.

I have a college degree and worked in a professional and managerial role for 15 years prior to UPS at other Fortune 500 companies. You hit the nail on the head on why I'm t UPS.

In the end, the job security, pension, and benefits are great. And I'm thankful for a good Union job that will take care of my family and pay me as much as I made wearing a shirt and tie all day.

But we need to be careful this contract (and every contract) to ensure that there are real opportunities out there for good working people who work hard and put in their time. This contract can be improved for us while still making UPS "record profits".

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
Hey! Hey! Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement bro. We're in the same WCT. Washington here. Looking at about 4-years and then it's my turn. How much pension a month is it for us in the West with 81-82 contributory points? If you don't mind me asking. Is the health $390 single, $780 married? Is there any optical or dental plans as a retiree? I'm assuming it's just medical for $390/$780.

Two more questions. How much would your "modest home" sell for today in California? And, did you say you never called in sick or never used a sick day your whole career?

Sorry one more. Do we get our entire sick bank paid out immediately after retirement?

Oops sorry a few more. What becomes of our 401(k) and Pacific Coast Benefits Trust? Our trust fund... Does it get rolled into some other investment arm? I'm thinking you're not 60 yet. I'll ask these questions and set up a meeting at a later point. Thought I'd just see what you can tell me now.

Thanks
Hey! Hey! Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement bro. We're in the same WCT. Washington here. Looking at about 4-years and then it's my turn. How much pension a month is it for us in the West with 81-82 contributory points? If you don't mind me asking. Is the health $390 single, $780 married? Is there any optical or dental plans as a retiree? I'm assuming it's just medical for $390/$780 Thanks, I am enjoying retirement very much. I had 81 points when retiring. It's really not based on the points how much you will receive. It's more about the contribution. Retiring at age 60 with 20 years will net you less than retiring at age 50 with 30 years. I was (late)49 with 32 contribution years. There are also about 20 different payout options, with the largest being that your pension dies with you, no money continuing on for your spouse. That amount for me was roughly $4400mo. As far as medical, dental & vision, here we've been diverting 91 cents an hour for many years so that when we retire, there is no charge for our retirement medical, dental & vision. So you'll have to look into that yourself.

Two more questions. How much would your "modest home" sell for today in California? And, did you say you never called in sick or never used a sick day your whole career? I'm sure I'll get killed for calling my home modest, but my home is worth about $700k now. No, I couldn't afford to buy my house in today's market. I only paid about $225k. I just happen to have bought in a very desirable area. I've put a lot of work in to my home, a nice pool, etc... It is my oasis. I always say I vacation in my back yard!

Most definitely used my sick days. All of em, every year. I was saying I never cashed em in. Every year, they came around and asked us if we'd like to cash in sick days. I think if you had more than 40 on the books, they automatically cashed out any days over 40. They also wouldn't cash out any if you were under a certain number, not sure what it was. I never ever gave away an opportunity at a day off! You could also cash in your Option A and B vacation weeks....never, ever did!

Sorry one more. Do we get our entire sick bank paid out immediately after retirement? Here, they allowed us to either use them up on your way out the door, or they paid them out after retirement. I used up last years days to get to my set date a week earlier. I left this past June officially. I used 9 weeks of vacation plus a week sick to get out in April. Then here in July, they paid me all the sick time that I've accrued for this year, which was about 5 days worth. They have to pay you every penny you've accrued sick, vacations, birthdays, etc. in order to get you off their books clean.

Oops sorry a few more. What becomes of our 401(k) and Pacific Coast Benefits Trust? Our trust fund... Does it get rolled into some other investment arm? I'm thinking you're not 60 yet. I'll ask these questions and set up a meeting at a later point. Thought I'd just see what you can tell me now. Both the 401k and the PCBT can either stay right where it is until you need it, or you can roll it over into another qualified account. I'm 50 now, so I can't touch either without penalty until 59 1/2. If I were to remove either without rollover, I'm subject to the 20% tax plus the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. I've chosen to leave my 401k where it is for now, but am going to roll over that PCBT account in to an IRA. It's only $15k, but from what I've seen, it's a PITA to withdraw and the returns on that money are minimal. I've heard it takes forever to get out, and since I've got 9 1/2 years to go, I've got time to work on it now.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Hey! Hey! Congratulations. Enjoy your retirement bro. We're in the same WCT. Washington here. Looking at about 4-years and then it's my turn. How much pension a month is it for us in the West with 81-82 contributory points? If you don't mind me asking. Is the health $390 single, $780 married? Is there any optical or dental plans as a retiree? I'm assuming it's just medical for $390/$780 Thanks, I am enjoying retirement very much. I had 81 points when retiring. It's really not based on the points how much you will receive. It's more about the contribution. Retiring at age 60 with 20 years will net you less than retiring at age 50 with 30 years. I was (late)49 with 32 contribution years. There are also about 20 different payout options, with the largest being that your pension dies with you, no money continuing on for your spouse. That amount for me was roughly $4400mo. As far as medical, dental & vision, here we've been diverting 91 cents an hour for many years so that when we retire, there is no charge for our retirement medical, dental & vision. So you'll have to look into that yourself.

Two more questions. How much would your "modest home" sell for today in California? And, did you say you never called in sick or never used a sick day your whole career? I'm sure I'll get killed for calling my home modest, but my home is worth about $700k now. No, I couldn't afford to buy my house in today's market. I only paid about $225k. I just happen to have bought in a very desirable area. I've put a lot of work in to my home, a nice pool, etc... It is my oasis. I always say I vacation in my back yard!

Most definitely used my sick days. All of em, every year. I was saying I never cashed em in. Every year, they came around and asked us if we'd like to cash in sick days. I think if you had more than 40 on the books, they automatically cashed out any days over 40. They also wouldn't cash out any if you were under a certain number, not sure what it was. I never ever gave away an opportunity at a day off! You could also cash in your Option A and B vacation weeks....never, ever did!

Sorry one more. Do we get our entire sick bank paid out immediately after retirement? Here, they allowed us to either use them up on your way out the door, or they paid them out after retirement. I used up last years days to get to my set date a week earlier. I left this past June officially. I used 9 weeks of vacation plus a week sick to get out in April. Then here in July, they paid me all the sick time that I've accrued for this year, which was about 5 days worth. They have to pay you every penny you've accrued sick, vacations, birthdays, etc. in order to get you off their books clean.

Oops sorry a few more. What becomes of our 401(k) and Pacific Coast Benefits Trust? Our trust fund... Does it get rolled into some other investment arm? I'm thinking you're not 60 yet. I'll ask these questions and set up a meeting at a later point. Thought I'd just see what you can tell me now. Both the 401k and the PCBT can either stay right where it is until you need it, or you can roll it over into another qualified account. I'm 50 now, so I can't touch either without penalty until 59 1/2. If I were to remove either without rollover, I'm subject to the 20% tax plus the 10% penalty for early withdrawal. I've chosen to leave my 401k where it is for now, but am going to roll over that PCBT account in to an IRA. It's only $15k, but from what I've seen, it's a PITA to withdraw and the returns on that money are minimal. I've heard it takes forever to get out, and since I've got 9 1/2 years to go, I've got time to work on it now.
Thank you.

Enjoy your new life. You did real good. Very good.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation

Also, I am going to check into this healthcare you have. Our local did the same thing in the 90's. Can't remember if it was 91-cents more for dues. Yet said if you vote Yes for .XX more dues and pay at least 1-year... you'll get healthcare paid for when you retire. We voted for it by a whopping 99%. Only 1% voted against it and we all knew it was new hires or future management. Since 2000 I've talked to all the retirees I know of... over 10 and they said it's $390/$780 what they pay.

Also our mangers never let the retirees use all their sick bank and stay on the books as employees to get a month or two extra time in for more pension. They just cashed them out. Like I said.... our management is no where near as soft & giving as most here state theirs is.

I read on here some guy racked up $43,000 in grievance pay last year. Where I'm from if that happened(which it wouldn't), they would surround that guy from several centers and divisions. Not just multiple 3-day rides. They'd make his life so miserable he'd never file again. He'd be damn lucky to make it to retirement. No bs!

Glad it all worked out for you tho'. :)

brown_trousers

Both the 401k and the PCBT can either stay right where it is until you need it, or you can roll it over into another qualified account. I'm 50 now, so I can't touch either without penalty until 59 1/2.
I have heard from others that the PCBT (pacific coast benefits trust) can be distributed penalty free after you quit working at UPS. regardless of age.

In fact, i think i read the fine print on the back of the statement a while back, and it said something to the effect of recieving that money penalty free, after waiting "x" months after you leave UPS.

It might be worth looking into. Now I am a bit curious, perhaps Ill look at it when i get home.

Foamer Pyle

Those Damn pesky mudslide, earthquakes and Forrest fires....other than that...
Don’t forget about the soon to be forced water rationing. They are proposing a 50 gallon limit per day. Also forcing all new homes to have solar, whether ya want it or not. What about the state income tax, on top of the Federal income tax? What about they pay at least a buck more per gallon of fuel? Your reasons plus the ones i listed, i will never step foot in Cali. Did i forget to mention the total :censored2: Nancy Pelosi?

Don’t forget about the soon to be forced water rationing. They are proposing a 50 gallon limit per day. Also forcing all new homes to have solar, whether ya want it or not. What about the state income tax, on top of the Federal income tax? What about they pay at least a buck more per gallon of fuel? Your reasons plus the ones i listed, i will never step foot in Cali. Did i forget to mention the total :censored2: Nancy Pelosi?
How did I forget about Nancy???