Contract rumor 2 tier and Grandfathering PTimers

kingOFchester

Heard a rumor that 2 tier pay is an option. Anyone working at UPS at time of contract would be grandfathered in. Makes sense as it would be a bit unfair for someone to start working part time now, under the impression that when they go driving they will be making the same as other drivers once threw progression.

Just a rumor that I would take with a grain of salt.

kingOFchester

I agree, I also know that we have discussed the 2 tier option. What I was recently told was that the insiders at time of contract would not fall under the lower tier if they exercise their right to go full time.

kingOFchester

Gee, where have I heard this before?

Perhaps you take the time to read every thread. Would you mind showing me the exact post where it states the rumor about part timers being grandfathered into the 2 tier pay if they go full time? Not saying it isn't out there, just that it hasn't crossed my radar.

menotyou

bella amicizia
He's been saying it for a while, as have a couple others. I don't think they started a thread about it. I am not positive, or stating it as fact, just know I've read the discussion before in the threads about part timers here and there. To be fair to you, you have a life. I don't, hence why I have probably read it and you haven't. :bigsmile2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I had not heard about current PTers being grandfathered in---to be blunt while this would be the right thing to do it doesn't make economic sense. These employees were never promised that they would be making x amount of dollars per hour if and when they go FT. With the average wait to go FT 10 years or more it would take an awful long time for this to kick in. I just don't see it.

U

uber

This happens and the list of prospective drivers waiting in the wings.....shrinks even more. I've seen the guys waiting to be drivers at my large hub. Its slim and those that are waiting aren't exactly driving material.

menotyou

bella amicizia
The top seniority guy on our preload scans all morning and makes $23 an hour. He passed on the last FT slot, and I wouldn't be surprised if he passes on the one or two coming up this Feb.

bigblu 2 you

I had not heard about current PTers being grandfathered in---to be blunt while this would be the right thing to do it doesn't make economic sense. These employees were never promised that they would be making x amount of dollars per hour if and when they go FT. With the average wait to go FT 10 years or more it would take an awful long time for this to kick in. I just don't see it.
please dont use the words "right thing to do"and "economic sense"when discussing ups decisions,thank you,,,

stink219

Heard a rumor that 2 tier pay is an option. Anyone working at UPS at time of contract would be grandfathered in. Makes sense as it would be a bit unfair for someone to start working part time now, under the impression that when they go driving they will be making the same as other drivers once threw progression.

Just a rumor that I would take with a grain of salt.
My best friend whom happens to be president of our local, my BA and the secretary treasure who are all on the national negotiating committee say that the original poster is 100% correct that it is a rumor. Wages to be discussed after the new year.

kingOFchester

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I understand that we all know about the rumor as far as the 2 tier system. What I was trying to communicate was the part about the grandfathering of the part timers.

61 of the 71 words in my first post were about the grandfathering of the part timers.

Seems as though you are like a cat in an attack stance waiting to pounce on a poster for whatever warped reasons you may have. Maybe this is why there is such aversion for you and your posts.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I understand that we all know about the rumor as far as the 2 tier system. What I was trying to communicate was the part about the grandfathering of the part timers.

61 of the 71 words in my first post were about the grandfathering of the part timers.

Seems as though you are like a cat in an attack stance waiting to pounce on a poster for whatever warped reasons you may have. Maybe this is why there is such aversion for you and your posts.

You were very clear--this is why I posted that I had not heard about the grandfathering proposal.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The first post was made after just reading the thread title.

The second was after reading your post.

I still don't see how they can grandfather current PTers in and still save money in the short run.

kingOFchester

The first post was made after just reading the thread title.

The second was after reading your post.

I still don't see how they can grandfather current PTers in and still save money in the short run.

Understood. Hindsight being 20/20, i should of added the grandfathering in the title.

I would hope that UPS looks at the "big picture" and look towards the future when having a business plan.

Also, I would bet that the union is the one trying to add the grandfathering in the contract. It would be fair to their members if the 2 tier system was implemented with grandfathering. I am sure that there could be an uprising from the part timers that have full time in their sites. As with all negotiations there is a give and take. The only way they could implement the 2 tier system with out pissing off teamsters would be to use the grandfathering and I must say I would be more for that then having some poor part timer who has worked 8 years under the impression that someday they would have a shot at making what I am making but instead get the shaft.

Inthegame

My best friend whom happens to be president of our local, my BA and the secretary treasure who are all on the national negotiating committee say that the original poster is 100% correct that it is a rumor. Wages to be discussed after the new year.

Grandfather, grandmother, aunt or uncle it's just a rumor. No one is negotiating anything right now. Remember, dues are based on wages. Lower wages through a two tier, the IBT/Locals get less dues. This rumor is a very long shot.