Contract talks ... any news? C'mon feeder fill us in!

Inthegame

Finally, if the negotiations are not completed by the end of April it is my understanding that Mr. Hall intends to take his ball and go home. This would put more pressure on management to negotiate in good faith as we get closer to August 1st and our competition uses a possible work stoppage to suck more of our customers away.
End of March.

willybad

Relax this is obviously a negotiation ploy. It's not really fair because you retired guys can't vote but it is what it is. If I were you I wouldn't freak out until around may sometime if this all looks the same.

brownslave688,i like your user name.i wasn't complaining about not having a vote,and if you haven't been a brown slave long enough to be thinking about retirement ,ignore my post.the 1st half of my carrer at ups i didn't even allow myself to dream about retirement.ups was on my a-- so much,i never thought i'd make it,but if you're reading this,and to the point you've started to dream of retirement,don't let them take that dream away. the letter ups sent us,says it is happening on 8/1/2013.when i talked to human resources at ups.they said this was already negotiated in the last contract,and is going to happen on 8/1/2013.it's only after reading the language in the contract-posted on another thread here,that i even thought these negotiations could make a difference.ploy or not,if it's not addressed in the current negotiations,it will happen.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
If our pay scale is an issue perhaps we should discuss different top scales dependent on your location. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a top scale driver in let's say New York City and a top scale driver in Billings Montana have different costs of living. I read years back that 90% of drivers are in the top 5% income brackets of their respected areas. Food for thought when we are discussing how bad we have it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If our pay scale is an issue perhaps we should discuss different top scales dependent on your location. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that a top scale driver in let's say New York City and a top scale driver in Billings Montana have different costs of living. I read years back that 90% of drivers are in the top 5% income brackets of their respected areas. Food for thought when we are discussing how bad we have it.

I know it's sad how many poor people there are out there that won't get up
And work.

cino321

The cost of living here is unbelievable. I'd be better off broke, or in the top 1%. The middle class is getting buried here in NYC.

bigblu 2 you

tiger woods and phil michelson are leaving california due to costs/taxes.some states have desirable rates and breaks but as soon as those areas populate or get a radical refreshing and all empowering politician its over.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
tiger woods and phil michelson are leaving california due to costs/taxes.some states have desirable rates and breaks but as soon as those areas populate or get a radical refreshing and all empowering politician its over.

Which means they will soon leave the country. It makes no sense to over tax the rich. You know what money does for u? It gives You the freedom to move if you want.

QKRSTKR

Tiger left California when he turned pro and moved to Florida, where they have no state income tax.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
The terms of our surrender are still being negotiated. Something about leaving with our shirts on or off our backs. Stay tuned.

[video=youtube;5m4_9PGBOjA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m4_9PGBOjA[/video]

As a mechanic I'd like to see UPS do something for us. In Florida drivers complain about having to buy brown socks and think the company should supply them, REALLY so that 40 thousand dollars I have in tools means nothing. Feeder drivers make more money than me and I'm given a tool allowance of $300 a year. That barely buys a set of screwdrivers. I have to know my job and the drivers, I have to have a CDL and DOT card but I'm paid less. They also REALLY need to do something about harrassment, I had a day job. I got hurt by blowing out my knee. Because it hurt their numbers my job was washed and now it's on nights. What a great company. The management always wants to know why the attitude sucks, well "attitude reflects leadership" You suck at managing and so follows the attitude.

ups clerk

I think we will hear something when it happens. I mean do we all really think if something huge happens we won't hear about it?

Uh no. That is why they call it a brown out. The negoiatiing team for UPS said they are going to make their stand on this contract and not give in to concessions. At this point I don't believe the Teamsters anymore I trust the company considering how we got screwed in the last contract.

ups clerk

I keep hearing year round helpers!!!! That will never fly........ If you vote for that you justed voted yourself out of a job!!!!!!!!!!
The thing is drivers keep complaining of excessive overtime. The company isn't going to open up more routes...they will just hire driver helpers like they do peak season. When they do that, and they will, drivers will be wishing they had that over time back.

ups clerk

you guys have to be kidding, why in the world would anyone vote for a 2 tier pay scale? That would be selling out the people that work right along side of you doing the same work for less pay. That will make for a completely dis functional work enviroment, managers tageting senior drivers to get them out, new drivers hating on senior drivers because of pay difference.

You can't say well I had my time, made my money and screw the new guys because they are the ones that will be stuck here doing the job with more technology less routes and more packages to deliver. For less pay no friend-ing way! If you want to vote for a 2 tier scale then you should get a cut to that top rate whatever it is, and be screwed like everyone else. we work together, do the same job we get paid together thats what i thoght a union was about. Don't sell out the rest of us because it won't affect you, thats just as bad as siding with management against the union. This is how it all starts to fall apart they make us turn on each other.

Id rather see a pay freeze, same contract as last time w/ a reasonable bump in pay for p-timers.. I believe thats more than fair for all. And then see what happens for the next one, once you give something back you will never get it back! DON'T BE A SELL OUT BECAUSE IT WON'T AFFECT YOU..Think as if you were a new hire how would that make you feel?
Hey gotbrown
If the company wants this contract passed they will offer signing bonuses as desperation like they did in 1982 and 1985. Drivers took the money and ran because it didn't affect them. This time the part timers will do the same thing. They will take the money and run. They don't give a **** about you drivers because they don't plan to be working at UPS as a career. The only thing we can hope for is that the company doesn't offer a signing bonus because if that happens alarm bells should ring out in all of us because the company is bribing us and relying on the part timers to vote to get their signing bonus. Let's hope hall has the gonads to walk out as he has done before if the company offers us a signing bonus.

ups clerk

You have high wages because you drive safe and are a professional, you work safe and do the best that you can within reason...and most importantly you take care of the customer better than the competition...don't try to justify the poor work enviroment that we have here as" its always has been like this..." Poor excuse.
Excuse me, but the high wages is not due to being safe drivers and being professional. The high wage is because it is in the contract and they HAVE to give it to us whether they like or or not. The high wage is not a bonus to safe drivers.

Turmlos

They don't give a **** about you drivers because they don't plan to be working at UPS as a career.
If they 'don't give a ****' about their temporary job, what makes you think they would even vote? I doubt a signing bonus would make much of a difference in PT voter turnout.

I am a career part timer. Although I know the drivers have screwed us over in the past, I would never throw my brothers & sisters under the bus for some petty cash. My beliefs can't be bought.

slantnosechevy

Hey gotbrown
If the company wants this contract passed they will offer signing bonuses as desperation like they did in 1982 and 1985. Drivers took the money and ran because it didn't affect them.

You'd have to be completely ignorant to believe that statement. Part-timers received the signing bonus too. Part-timers also set on many of the negotiating teams at locals who negotiate independently and have the strongest contracts.

They don't give a **** about you drivers because they don't plan to be working at UPS as a career.

For most part-timers, with the way technology is eliminating the job market, they should re-think that stance. For most, the possibility of landing a full-time driving job may be their best chance at making a living wage.

slantnosechevy

As a mechanic I'd like to see UPS do something for us. In Florida drivers complain about having to buy brown socks and think the company should supply them, REALLY so that 40 thousand dollars I have in tools means nothing. Feeder drivers make more money than me and I'm given a tool allowance of $300 a year. That barely buys a set of screwdrivers. I have to know my job and the drivers, I have to have a CDL and DOT card but I'm paid less. They also REALLY need to do something about harrassment, I had a day job. I got hurt by blowing out my knee. Because it hurt their numbers my job was washed and now it's on nights. What a great company. The management always wants to know why the attitude sucks, well "attitude reflects leadership" You suck at managing and so follows the attitude.

Mechanics are the most important hourly employee at UPS. A really good one is gold. They really are under paid and under appreciated which lumps them in with the rest of us. UPS treats everyone the same.

stink219

Uh no. That is why they call it a brown out. The negoiatiing team for UPS said they are going to make their stand on this contract and not give in to concessions. At this point I don't believe the Teamsters anymore I trust the company considering how we got screwed in the last contract.
I really don't think we got screwed at all last contract. The way companies were dropping off and given the economy that we had, I think we did well. Us drivers went up 10 dollars an hour in the last 11 years. Not too bad. The only exception was the 9.5 language. It was because it was new and we had a learning curve. I assure you that it will be addressed and has been. I agree that part timers need a slice of the pie, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter what you start at, it matters what you end at. I started at 8 bucks an hour years ago, and I made 90k last year. I'd rather a stale starting rate if my final progression was high. We always think we are smarter than the labor lawyers and negotiators. It's called a negotiation for a reason, otherwise it would be called a TAKE.