Contract talks ... any news? C'mon feeder fill us in!

rudy5150

For most part-timers, with the way technology is eliminating the job market, they should re-think that stance. For most, the possibility of landing a full-time driving job may be their best chance at making a living wage.

I dont think technology or computer scanners pick packages off belts and load them in driver trucks

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I really don't think we got screwed at all last contract. The way companies were dropping off and given the economy that we had, I think we did well. Us drivers went up 10 dollars an hour in the last 11 years. Not too bad. The only exception was the 9.5 language. It was because it was new and we had a learning curve. I assure you that it will be addressed and has been. I agree that part timers need a slice of the pie, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter what you start at, it matters what you end at. I started at 8 bucks an hour years ago, and I made 90k last year. I'd rather a stale starting rate if my final progression was high. We always think we are smarter than the labor lawyers and negotiators. It's called a negotiation for a reason, otherwise it would be called a TAKE.

Yeah, $5/hr added to my pension and roughly $5/hr added to my pay. Hoffa, please sell us out some more!

ups clerk

I really don't think we got screwed at all last contract. The way companies were dropping off and given the economy that we had, I think we did well. Us drivers went up 10 dollars an hour in the last 11 years. Not too bad. The only exception was the 9.5 language. It was because it was new and we had a learning curve. I assure you that it will be addressed and has been. I agree that part timers need a slice of the pie, but in my opinion, it doesn't matter what you start at, it matters what you end at. I started at 8 bucks an hour years ago, and I made 90k last year. I'd rather a stale starting rate if my final progression was high. We always think we are smarter than the labor lawyers and negotiators. It's called a negotiation for a reason, otherwise it would be called a TAKE.
Let's put it this way, Stink. When the company holds PCM's asking us to vote for the contrac, alarm bells should ring out because they want something.
They did this the last two contracts. Especially the last one when they gave UPS 5 billion dollars to get out of Central States. If they do it again this contract we are in trouble...such as the company offering a signing bonus, which I heard they might do. Or making us pay for insurance. They did it in 1982 and 1985.

ups clerk

I am a career part timer. Although I know the drivers have screwed us over in the past, I would never throw my brothers & sisters under the bus for some petty cash. My beliefs can't be bought.
You might not throw the your fellow workers under the bus, which is commendable, but everybody else will becasue they get crap for pay, no insurance for the first year, harrassed constantly etc. They will take the money and get out of Dodge.

Read more: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/f39/contract-talks-any-news-cmon-feeder-fill-us-347955/#ixzz2Jbo79u9x

ocnewguy

I dont think technology or computer scanners pick packages off belts and load them in driver trucks

Isn't sorting all automated in worldport? i know that's a special example that isn't the standard across the board but the technology is there.

kingOFchester

Are the part timers really getting screwed?

Lets take a look at the number (not including over time.)

A part timer (not skilled) is making $11 an hour after 3 years.
The insurance for a part timer with a family costs the company 19k a year.
Working the minimum of 3.5 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 910 hours a year.
That comes to $10,010.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $29,010.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $31.87 an hour for a part time job.

Take a driver making $32,00 an hour after 3 years of progression.
Health care at $19,000.00 a year for family.
Working the minimum of 8 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 2080 hours a year.
That comes to $66,560.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $85,560.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $41.13 an hour for a driver.

Bottom line:
Part timers are getting $31.87 an hour in wages in health care for part time work.
Drivers are getting $41.12 an hour in wages in health care for full time work.

Not saying they couldn't do better and I know the insurance I get for full time is very rare in any full time work, But it is unheard of for part time in ANY company to get the insurance they get. I think the part timers should be allowed to opt out of the insurance package if they have other insurance for a higher pay.

To add, a part timer pretty much gets the insurance and pay by just showing up and applying for the job. My center if you have a heart beat you get hired. The hoops and hurdles drivers have to go threw to make it to a full time gig certainly warrants a higher pay then a part timer. As a driver I am held to a much higher standard then any part timer.

Last edited:

stink219

too bad.
Let's put it this way, Stink. When the company holds PCM's asking us to vote for the contrac, alarm bells should ring out because they want something.
They did this the last two contracts. Especially the last one when they gave UPS 5 billion dollars to get out of Central States. If they do it again this contract we are in trouble...such as the company offering a signing bonus, which I heard they might do. Or making us pay for insurance. They did it in 1982 and 1985.
Yes, what a lucrative central states pension there was. Your mixing up the facts though. It was UPS that need to pay 6.1 billion in unfunded liability which brought them from 48% funded to 70% funded overnight. The new pension was restructured to fit in the guidelines of the new pension rules at the time. You made it sound like the teamsters gave UPS 5 billion. Why do you think the the #1 reason the company would want to have a yes vote early? Keeping our business. I'm 100% on board for soaking this company for everything. Some of us can't afford to be lifetime part timers. As far as signing bonuses, that's been on the table, it's been in the proposal since the 80's in EVERY contract. That's why we have a "Brown Out".

stink219

Are the part timers really getting screwed?

Lets take a look at the number (not including over time.)

A part timer (not skilled) is making $11 an hour after 3 years.
The insurance for a part timer with a family costs the company 19k a year.
Working the minimum of 3.5 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 910 hours a year.
That comes to $10,010.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $29,010.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $31.87 an hour for a part time job.

Take a driver making $32,00 an hour after 3 years of progression.
Health care at $19,000.00 a year for family.
Working the minimum of 8 hrs a day, 52 weeks a year equals 2080 hours a year.
That comes to $66,560.00 a year in pay.
Add the $19,000.00 for health care and you come up with $85,560.00 in wages and health.
Divide that by the hours worked and you get an hourly rate of $41.13 an hour for a driver.

Bottom line:
Part timers are getting $31.87 an hour in wages in health care for part time work.
Drivers are getting $41.12 an hour in wages in health care for full time work.

Not saying they couldn't do better and I know the insurance I get for full time is very rare in any full time work, But it is unheard of for part time in ANY company to get the insurance they get. I think the part timers should be allowed to opt out of the insurance package if they have other insurance for a higher pay.

To add, a part timer pretty much gets the insurance and pay by just showing up and applying for the job. My center if you have a heart beat you get hired. The hoops and hurdles drivers have to go threw to make it to a full time gig certainly warrants a higher pay then a part timer. As a driver I am held to a much higher standard then any part timer.
Excellent post brother.

Spicybrother

As a mechanic I'd like to see UPS do something for us. In Florida drivers complain about having to buy brown socks and think the company should supply them, REALLY so that 40 thousand dollars I have in tools means nothing. Feeder drivers make more money than me and I'm given a tool allowance of $300 a year. That barely buys a set of screwdrivers. I have to know my job and the drivers, I have to have a CDL and DOT card but I'm paid less. They also REALLY need to do something about harrassment, I had a day job. I got hurt by blowing out my knee. Because it hurt their numbers my job was washed and now it's on nights. What a great company. The management always wants to know why the attitude sucks, well "attitude reflects leadership" You suck at managing and so follows the attitude.
What? Man the only thing lazier than a feeder driver is a mechanic.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Yes, this technology does exist. It's in the infancy stages, but it's working and the industry is growing.

No, the technology does not exist. We're still many years away from having a robot that could efficiently load a package car. And we'll be dead before the technology becomes affordable.

FedEx Ground touts that most of its hubs are completely automated. People unload & load packages, but a series of conveyors and diverters scan & route the packages to the proper slide (although people manually scan packages to different degrees in many locations). UPS has integrated this technology into its newest & converted many of its largest facilities, but indefinitely shelved plans for wide deployment among many of its larger facilities... because it's not cost effective.

bluehdmc

No, the technology does not exist. We're still many years away from having a robot that could efficiently load a package car. And we'll be dead before the technology becomes affordable.

FedEx Ground touts that most of its hubs are completely automated. People unload & load packages, but a series of conveyors and diverters scan & route the packages to the proper slide (although people manually scan packages to different degrees in many locations). UPS has integrated this technology into its newest & converted many of its largest facilities, but indefinitely shelved plans for wide deployment among many of its larger facilities... because it's not cost effective.

I could see where the robot for loading might not be cost effective, but it would seem a sorting system wouldn't have to take breaks, sickdays, vacations, and would practically eliminate missorts.
Although trying to reengineer a running hub while in operation would be a nightmare.

brown_trousers

Im sure they said the same thing about computers when they were first invented, or going to the moon, or splitting an atom.
Technology is moving quick. Who's to say the technology doesnt already exist??? are any of us here experts in the electronics/robotics industry, to make such a claim?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I could see where the robot for loading might not be cost effective, but it would seem a sorting system wouldn't have to take breaks, sickdays, vacations, and would practically eliminate missorts.
Although trying to reengineer a running hub while in operation would be a nightmare.

Absolutely, which is why most new construction facilities have this technology. But the cost of gutting / re-building / replacing a facility isn't cost effective vs. keeping things status quo. And then there's the logistics (no, not UPS Logistics) of doing so.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Im sure they said the same thing about computers when they were first invented, or going to the moon, or splitting an atom.
Technology is moving quick. Who's to say the technology doesnt already exist??? are any of us here experts in the electronics/robotics industry, to make such a claim?

A little over a year ago I completed a robotics class (as part of my degree's technology requirement) and we discussed such things. We're still many years away from having robots that can act like humans in performing complicated tasks such as loading package cars. Sure, the technology will be developed in most of our lifetimes, but it won't be cost effective for mass deployment until most of us are dead. For comparison, it wasn't cost effective for full computers to run things like cash registers, ATMs, etc. until the last several years.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
I like how a recent AP article claimed that truck driver jobs were imperiled because of driver-less technology like Google is working on. OK so you can get a truck to drive itself down a freeway. Can you get it to put the set together? Fix minor issues? React to things not picked up by the sensors in the road? Be creative when necessary? Not happening.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I didn't mean "loading package cars" per se, that is a bit specific and complicated of tasks. My point is that there are robotics capable of doing human work and chores. Surely the technology is only in it's infancy stage, which I also mentioned. I think these advances will come about more quickly than you suggest, unless you are much older than I. ;)