could this be a case of falsification of records

pretzel_man

I'm not "whining"...I'm pointing out flaws in the current system that we have and suggesting better ways of doing it.

I am under no illusion that it will do any good.

If I follow your logic to its ultimate conclusion then there is no point in ever posting anything on Brown Cafe at all, since to do so constitutes "whining".

My management team doesnt get to decide how many cars to dispatch. They dont get to decide upon an appropriate SPORH for our center based upon local conditions. They dont get to decide how many or what type of package cars we need, they dont get to decide whether or not a timestudy for a particular route needs to be corrected, they dont get to decide whether or not to improve/enlarge our facility, they dont get to decide what their monthly quota of warning letters should be, and they dont get to decide which bit of Telematics data is going to be the corporate flavor of the week.

If your point is that I should be bringing my concerns to my local management team, my question would be...why should I even bother?

I'm sure you are just quoting what someone told you....

The items I highlighted have been incorrectly explained to you (or your location is doing things not per the method).

Ask the division manager if he is putting out the wrong number of routes? Ask if his planned performance is dictated to him/her. As if he / she has been told how many warning letters to give.

Yes, I have seen some poor managers ask for a warning letter hunt. Its not the norm, but I have seen it. They are poor and inappropriate.

I work the dispatch all the time, and have not been dictated routes by IE. All I need to do is get with the division manager.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I'm sure you are just quoting what someone told you....

The items I highlighted have been incorrectly explained to you (or your location is doing things not per the method).

Ask the division manager if he is putting out the wrong number of routes? Ask if his planned performance is dictated to him/her. As if he / she has been told how many warning letters to give.

Yes, I have seen some poor managers ask for a warning letter hunt. Its not the norm, but I have seen it. They are poor and inappropriate.

I work the dispatch all the time, and have not been dictated routes by IE. All I need to do is get with the division manager.

P-Man
Really?!?!?!?! P-man, who are you saying has discretion as to the number of rtes that go out? Like Sober, I have heard the same.

I ask just so that I am clear on what I thought you said.

Last edited:

pretzel_man

Really?!?!?!?! P-man, who are you saying has discretion as to the number of rtes that go out? Like Sober, I have heard the same.

I ask just so that I am clear on what I thought you said.

Here is how it works.

IE does a volume projection and makes longer term plans. They stop this between 2 and 4 weeks before the operation.

Its true than in the system IE maintains (its called PKG) there is a plan for the number of routes and SPORH.

The PDS (who works for operations) gets that projection and begins publishing plans prior to the operation. In their system (its called DPS), they put in over/under by driver as well as a target paid day for the driver. This information is totally maintained by operations.

Now to be fair, reports will print comparing planned vs. actual. If the local plan is worse than the original, someone will need to explain. I change it all the time. As I said, ask a division manager if they are putting out the wrong number of drivers...

Just like I believe that a poor hourly employee blames everything on the company, a poor management employee blames also. Poor management employees will say that someone else is keeping them from doing their job.

This being said, there are parts of the overall process that I think are not good.... Trying to make every pickup within 15 minutes. Trying to stay too close to a target number of stops. Etc.

Overall however, the process can work very well.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Here is how it works.

IE does a volume projection and makes longer term plans. They stop this between 2 and 4 weeks before the operation.

Its true than in the system IE maintains (its called PKG) there is a plan for the number of routes and SPORH.

The PDS (who works for operations) gets that projection and begins publishing plans prior to the operation. In their system (its called DPS), they put in over/under by driver as well as a target paid day for the driver. This information is totally maintained by operations.

Now to be fair, reports will print comparing planned vs. actual. If the local plan is worse than the original, someone will need to explain. I change it all the time. As I said, ask a division manager if they are putting out the wrong number of drivers...

Just like I believe that a poor hourly employee blames everything on the company, a poor management employee blames also. Poor management employees will say that someone else is keeping them from doing their job.

This being said, there are parts of the overall process that I think are not good.... Trying to make every pickup within 15 minutes. Trying to stay too close to a target number of stops. Etc.

Overall however, the process can work very well.

P-Man
Thanks P-man. :happy2: