could this be a case of falsification of records

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I think it is safe to say that anytime a driver chooses to cheat on the way he completes a delivery he will "remember the cirumstances" if caught. Its funny how when they hand you that driver follow-up it all comes flashing back. :happy2: I was guilty of it myself once or twice.

I heard that back in the day before driver release the occasional driver might be tempted to sign for a customer's package.

SWORDFISH

I think it is safe to say that anytime a driver chooses to cheat on the way he completes a delivery he will "remember the cirumstances" if caught. Its funny how when they hand you that driver follow-up it all comes flashing back. :happy2: I was guilty of it myself once or twice.

We had a driver that signed the same wavy line over 100 times in a week for residential pkgs. They were riding his but cuz he was to far over allowed so he started signing for pkgs. They caught him cuz someone filed a claim on one of them saying they didnt get their pkg. He actually just ended up resigning instead of getting fired.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I can honestly say that I have never done this. I won't even sign if the customer is standing right there and tells me too because he/she is busy.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Smart move dill....nothing good comes from that

I would have to trust the customer really really well and quite frankly, I don't trust anyone that much. :dissapointed:

I take that back. There are only one or two that I trust that much and they aren't my customers.

Last edited:

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
My friend shipped a package to her fiancee and was signed and received according to the records by her fiancee.The problem is the package is missing and her fiancee was at the time of delivery in different city hundreds of miles away. So... who signed for the package?. The package contains some irreplaceable items like photos, gifts etc. she contacted UPS and filed a claim and the claim is still under investigation. Since his unit is in the gated community and an end unit, I suspect that the driver himself signed for it and left it at front door . I know some bonus drivers in our center do the same and get away with it.
I have withheld detailed information intentionally pending investigation detail

Sounds like a good DR location. Was package sent with delivery confirmation/adult signature required? If not,there would be no reason for driver to sign for pkg.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I heard that back in the day before driver release the occasional driver might be tempted to sign for a customer's package.

Actually it was usually Dr. Knob that signed for the package or the driver could misread the instructions and use REL ### by reversing the last three digits of the account number ... not that I ever did either of those.

Re-Raise

Why didn't she just give the package to her fiancee the next time they were together, rather than send it to him when he was in another city hundreds of miles away?

If the driver went out of his way to have a neighbor sign for the package rather than take it back as NI will you post that information here with an apology?

Sounds like a good DR location. Was package sent with delivery confirmation/adult signature required? If not,there would be no reason for driver to sign for pkg.
Sorry Rose, with just the info supplied, there is not sufficient evidence that it would be a legal DR.

born2Bwild

Why didn't she just give the package to her fiancee the next time they were together, rather than send it to him when he was in another city hundreds of miles away?

If the driver went out of his way to have a neighbor sign for the package rather than take it back as NI will you post that information here with an apology?
If you red my post carefully you'll notice that according to the records the RECIPIENT signed for it when he was 3 states away. He DID NOT go to neighbor's house to get signature.The neighbors do not know his name to sign for it. Why did the dr. just rel. the package I have no Idea maybe he felt that is was not safe to so.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Sorry Rose, with just the info supplied, there is not sufficient evidence that it would be a legal DR.

Gated community definition - In its modern form, a gated community is a form of residential community or housing estate containing strictly-controlled entrances for pedestrians, bicycles, and automobiles, and often characterized by a closed perimeter of walls and fences

Gated communities, usually called guard-gated communities, are staffed by private security guards/ Some gated communities are secure enough to resemble fortresses and are intended as such.

By his own words - gated community - can't get a better description of a good DR than this.... Unless it really isn't a gated community...
We're not talking about a large urban area with apartment buildings that don't have locked doors.
Watch sometime "HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY" and you will see a real gated community!!!

Seriously, was package sent - signature required?

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
If you red my post carefully you'll notice that according to the records the RECIPIENT signed for it when he was 3 states away. He DID NOT go to neighbor's house to get signature.The neighbors do not know his name to sign for it. Why did the dr. just rel. the package I have no Idea maybe he felt that is was not safe to so.

Did you friend ship pkg with delivery confirmation/signature required?

Gated community definition - In its modern form, a gated community is a form of residential community or housing estate containing strictly-controlled entrances for pedestrians, bicycles, and automobiles, and often characterized by a closed perimeter of walls and fences

Gated communities, usually called guard-gated communities, are staffed by private security guards/ Some gated communities are secure enough to resemble fortresses and are intended as such.

By his own words - gated community - can't get a better description of a good DR than this.... Unless it really isn't a gated community...
We're not talking about a large urban area with apartment buildings that don't have locked doors.
Watch sometime "HOUSEWIVES OF ORANGE COUNTY" and you will see a real gated community!!!

Seriously, was package sent - signature required?

Rose, I fully understand the definition of a gated community. That alone does not make it a legal or even a safe DR according to UPS policy . private security guards? I don't care if they carry AK47s, still doesn't make it a safe DR. If the apartment does not have a secluded private entrance with no visibility to passers by, it is not considered a good DR. In other words, the driver must be able to place the package out of sight and out of weather. Are you sure you ever delivered a route? This is DR 101. Strangers that do not live in the gated community are not the only threat to package pilferage.

I would rather take a sharp stick in the eye than watch " Housewives of Orangjuice County". I may live in a relative small city, but we do have more than one gated community.

Red Rose Tea

Chihuahuas Rule!
Rose, I fully understand the definition of a gated community. That alone does not make it a legal or even a safe DR according to UPS policy . private security guards? I don't care if they carry AK47s, still doesn't make it a safe DR. If the apartment does not have a secluded private entrance with no visibility to passers by, it is not considered a good DR. In other words, the driver must be able to place the package out of sight and out of weather. Are you sure you ever delivered a route? This is DR 101. Strangers that do not live in the gated community are not the only threat to package pilferage.

OK ...You win... Yes I know the definition of a good DR... Everyone in our center had to sign DR procedure paperwork, which in each driver;s employee file.

I would rather take a sharp stick in the eye than watch " Housewives of Orangjuice County". I may live in a relative small city, but we do have more than one gated community.

OK you win. We don't have evidence that this location has a secure, locked front door lobby area. That is out of sight and protected from elements. But OP for some reason had to add this was a gated community. Maybe he will be a little more descriptive on this end unit...

If this is a gated community, there has to be management office or security office on the premises. Driver could of gone to one of these locations; there are cases where concierges will sign and driver will clarify with original consignee's address.

We just can not assume right off the bat that the driver falsified the records. And you know as well as I do, it is very difficult to prove - unless he/she has a pattern where they can pull his delivery records to make a case.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would help if you gave us the tracking number, if you have it. If you do have it but don't feel comfortable posting it here, please give us the 9th and 10th digits. If they are A8 or 42 that means the driver had to get either an adult signature (21 or over) or just a signature upon delivery. I would be willing to bet the pkg was signature required (42) and the driver felt comfortable enough with the delivery situation to take a shortcut and sign for the pkg.

Re-Raise

It would help if you gave us the tracking number, if you have it. If you do have it but don't feel comfortable posting it here, please give us the 9th and 10th digits. If they are A8 or 42 that means the driver had to get either an adult signature (21 or over) or just a signature upon delivery. I would be willing to bet the pkg was signature required (42) and the driver felt comfortable enough with the delivery situation to take a shortcut and sign for the pkg.

I see a lot of holes in this whole story. Why would you send pictures and some gifts sig required? Obviously the people don't know the driver so why would he take a short cut for them?

If I were the driver, regardless of whether the tracer is resolved favorably or not, these people would never get another package without having to sign for them.

I hope the original poster tells us how this turns out because it kind of annoys me that they are placing blame on the driver. Obviously he didn't steal their pictures.

It is not a time saver to sign for someone's package, it is just as easy to slap a delivery notice on the door.If anything, the driver's only mistake was trusting the area and trying to get the package delivered.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't think anyone is implying that the driver signed for and then kept the pkg. If I were a betting man (and I am) I would bet that he knew that he was in a gated community delivering to an end unit and decided to take a short cut by signing for and then leaving the pkg. He probably figured that the consignee was probably at work and would be home that evening and had no way of knowing that he was actually 3 states away at the time.

I am also curious as to how this turns out.

Re-Raise

I can't believe he would sign for Sig Required package for a consignee he obviously doesn't know. That would be taking a pretty big risk to save a send again.

Re-Raise

I can't believe how many of you are throwing the driver under the bus. Makes me ill....

Believe me I am not throwing the driver under the bus. The original poster isn't mad that someone in their "gated community" would steal their irreplacable pictures and gifts. They are looking at what the driver must have done wrong.

Are these people still taking pictures on Kodak film? Who doesn't have their pictures stored on the camera or computer if they are so important?