Courier Base Rate Step Progression

Oldfart

Ummm... We all do the same job, do we not? Why shouldn't we get paid the same rate?

Besides, in my experience, having worked at both small stations and large stations, you generally work much harder at a small station. And seeing how small stations are usually in areas of the country with the lowest pay scale, it would seem to me those people deserve be paid at least as much as those at larger stations based on the extra amount of work they do.

Other professions pay their employees according to market conditions. UPS is one of the few companies that pay everyone the same rate along with UAW workers. That is a union policy. Like I used in my earlier example. Should Little Rock pay its police officers 100k a year because a police officer in NYC makes that? No disrespect to first responders, I have brothers and nephews doing that stressful job. There is no way you can justify paying a Little Rock officer the same as a NYC officer.
The same with couriers. You say we should all make the same. What if the company decided to pay everyone the same and used the Little Rock salary as its new rate. YOU WIN, we all make the same. Pay a NYC courier 60k a year and watch them run for the hills. You can not live in NYC on that salary. Almost everything you pay for is adjusted by the part of the country you buy it in. Housing, cars, clothing, even meals at restaurants cost more in NYC and LA than they do in Little Rock. You have to adjust your salaries accordingly. Go to NYC or LA and see the difference in the courier's day. It is day and night different than that of a Little Rock courier.

MAKAVELI

Other professions pay their employees according to market conditions. UPS is one of the few companies that pay everyone the same rate along with UAW workers. That is a union policy. Like I used in my earlier example. Should Little Rock pay its police officers 100k a year because a police officer in NYC makes that? No disrespect to first responders, I have brothers and nephews doing that stressful job. There is no way you can justify paying a Little Rock officer the same as a NYC officer.
The same with couriers. You say we should all make the same. What if the company decided to pay everyone the same and used the Little Rock salary as its new rate. YOU WIN, we all make the same. Pay a NYC courier 60k a year and watch them run for the hills. You can not live in NYC on that salary. Almost everything you pay for is adjusted by the part of the country you buy it in. Housing, cars, clothing, even meals at restaurants cost more in NYC and LA than they do in Little Rock. You have to adjust your salaries accordingly. Go to NYC or LA and see the difference in the courier's day. It is day and night different than that of a Little Rock courier.
Your analogies are apples and oranges. Comparing police officers who work FOR DIFFERENT cities is not the same as employees who work FOR THE SAME corporation. You are also missing one very important part of the market level scam. It has zero to do with cost of living. The market levels are based on job market conditions in an area and employee retention rates.

Oldfart

Your analogies are apples and oranges. Comparing police officers who work FOR DIFFERENT cities is not the same as employees who work FOR THE SAME corporation. You are also missing one very important part of the market level scam. It has zero to do with cost of living. The market levels are based on job market conditions in an area and employee retention rates.
LOL Cost of living is related to job retention. If you dont pay a person more in a high cost of living market, you wont retain employees. Maybe you need to read Forbes or Morningstar or other business related magazines and put away the MAD MAGAZINE. It is very obvious your understanding of basic business principles is VERY limited. Your posts are using hatred and bitterness as their basis. Mine are using facts that are posted in respected publications as its basis. I am sitting in my recliner watching the Nascar race reading an article from Forbes. It says GEOGRAPHY is one of the leading factors that companies use when considering salary structure. It used Salary.com for its research and said simply by entering different zip codes, they saw the same companies offering different salaries for the same job. YOU won't find that useful information in Mad Magazine.

vantexan

LOL Cost of living is related to job retention. If you dont pay a person more in a high cost of living market, you wont retain employees. Maybe you need to read Forbes or Morningstar or other business related magazines and put away the MAD MAGAZINE. It is very obvious your understanding of basic business principles is VERY limited. Your posts are using hatred and bitterness as their basis. Mine are using facts that are posted in respected publications as its basis. I am sitting in my recliner watching the Nascar race reading an article from Forbes. It says GEOGRAPHY is one of the leading factors that companies use when considering salary structure. It used Salary.com for its research and said simply by entering different zip codes, they saw the same companies offering different salaries for the same job. YOU won't find that useful information in Mad Magazine.
I've heard directors say that cost of living isn't the primary consideration when setting payscales. As I've already pointed out there are numerous places with very high costs of living that are on the two lowest payscales. The company will pay the lowest pay they think they can get away with. There's a station in Silverthorne, CO that couldn't retain people at A pay. The company held out for as long as possible before going to E. That didn't work so finally they stopped the hemorrhaging with friend pay. But it was like pulling teeth getting them to do what they should've done to begin with.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've heard directors say that cost of living isn't the primary consideration when setting payscales. As I've already pointed out there are numerous places with very high costs of living that are on the two lowest payscales. The company will pay the lowest pay they think they can get away with. There's a station in Silverthorne, CO that couldn't retain people at A pay. The company held out for as long as possible before going to E. That didn't work so finally they stopped the hemorrhaging with friend pay. But it was like pulling teeth getting them to do what they should've done to begin with.
I have a feeling they're going to have to bump up my market level soon. I'm in an expensive area and we are in a higher market, but they still can't keep people. They keep hiring and hiring. We have a Job Fair coming up soon and they just had a District Job Fair about a month ago.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a feeling they're going to have to bump up my market level soon. I'm in an expensive area and we are in a higher market, but they still can't keep people. They keep hiring and hiring. We have a Job Fair coming up soon and they just had a District Job Fair about a month ago.

Do they do exit surveys at these job fairs? I would be curious as to the reason(s) they are having a hard time attracting qualified applicants. Pay cannot be the only reason.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do they do exit surveys at these job fairs? I would be curious as to the reason(s) they are having a hard time attracting qualified applicants. Pay cannot be the only reason.
I doubt it. Fedex is reactive, not proactive. The biggest reason they can't find people is people can't pass the drug test. I've had multiple managers tell me that.
The reason they quit is pay not meeting the work and lack of training.

vantexan

She pointed out "they keep hiring and hiring." They can find qualified people, they can't retain them. People soon realize the hype they were told doesn't match the reality. A lot of them quit before they get too drawn in.

Oldfart

I have no idea what A B C friend or any letter pay means. I don't even know what letter I am at. Been there forever and don't consume myself with stuff like that. Maybe Silverthorne is near Vail. Cost of living is high in Vail.

Maybe thats why they couldnt keep people. Do you survey people across the nation to get these stories so you can be more miserable? You seem to know what is happening everywhere else. I prefer tunnel vision. I only worry about what affects me. Worrying about thousands of other people and stations will only make you bitter and miserable. Kinda like many on here are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Forbes is about as Right Wing as they get. Anti-union, anti-worker etc. I have a subscription and enjoy the Far Right editorial rants by nutty Steve Forbes and his reactionary staff.

I'm not going there with NASCAR.

vantexan

I have no idea what A B C friend or any letter pay means. I don't even know what letter I am at. Been there forever and don't consume myself with stuff like that. Maybe Silverthorne is near Vail. Cost of living is high in Vail.

Maybe thats why they couldnt keep people. Do you survey people across the nation to get these stories so you can be more miserable? You seem to know what is happening everywhere else. I prefer tunnel vision. I only worry about what affects me. Worrying about thousands of other people and stations will only make you bitter and miserable. Kinda like many on here are.
I'm aware of it because I was a domiciled courier in Colorado. And you are reinforcing Fedex's mushroom strategy: keep'em in the dark and feed them bullschnitzel. And if you had transferred around a bit you'd be familiar with the payscale system, represented by letters, that they've just done away with. And hey, telling me what I should think sounds just like something you were knocking in another post. And a bit communistic too.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I doubt it. Fedex is reactive, not proactive. The biggest reason they can't find people is people can't pass the drug test. I've had multiple managers tell me that.
The reason they quit is pay not meeting the work and lack of training.

This. When we have job fairs, very few people show-up, and those that are still interested don't qualify due to the reasons ON listed.

whenIgetthere

This. When we have job fairs, very few people show-up, and those that are still interested don't qualify due to the reasons ON listed.

I was told by a manager that the last job fair we had, only eight people were said to be qualified. Six showed interest he said, but only one of six passed the drug screen.

dezguy

Interesting analogy, using first responder pay. As a matter of fact, every police service in my province uses the highest paid police service in the province as a base for negotiations.

Interesting that seems to work here but wouldn't work for FedEx, in your opinion.

Oldfart

Interesting analogy, using first responder pay. As a matter of fact, every police service in my province uses the highest paid police service in the province as a base for negotiations.

Interesting that seems to work here but wouldn't work for FedEx, in your opinion.
According to mainstream business publications, it doesn't work for many companies. Just check glassdoor or salary.com. and you can see salary differences between US cities for the same job and the same company. A doorman in NYC can make 100k with tips. Don't believe a doorman in Little Rock is gonna bring that home.

dezguy

According to mainstream business publications, it doesn't work for many companies. Just check glassdoor or salary.com. and you can see salary differences between US cities for the same job and the same company. A doorman in NYC can make 100k with tips. Don't believe a doorman in Little Rock is gonna bring that home.
Why not? They do the same job.

Why is it OK that a worker at McDonald's in New York makes minimum wage as a McDonald's worker in Boise? By your analogy, shouldn't the New York McDonald's worker be making more?

MAKAVELI

The difference for the doorman would be in the tips not wages. Your analogies just keep failing and making you look stupid. Keep trying.;)