Cover Driver Side Jobs?

TSJ

I am a part time cover driver for 3 years now, only working a few days a week. I was just wondering if any of you guys had jobs on the side to bring in some extra money. I was thinking about getting a license to sell insurance on the side to have a little more financial freedom. What do you guys do? Any recommendations?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We have a couple of people that sell real estate on the side. They usually show houses on the weekend. I know one of them makes some pretty good money despite the current economy.

TSJ

We already have a guy in our neighorhood who walks dogs, he's mentally challenged, so I would hate to compete with him. Real estate was something I've been thinking about for about a year, but I'm not sure tottally sold on it yet. Any other thoughts?

reydluap

Back in the day. I worked at a Heating/AC business on the side cleaning up at their job sites. The boss didn't want to pay the professional installers to pick up boxes,used material and sweep floors. They didn't need me every day of the week but it was good for a couple of hundred bucks a week. And that was back in 1978. Another job I had was working for a dairy delivery company stocking milk/dairy products on the shelves at grocery stores. I also had a lawn mowing/sidewalk shoveling gig that I created on my own that turned out to be a money making occupation. That's just a few of the odd jobs I done.

browniehound

How about trying to start a lawn cutting business? It doen't take much cash to get started and you can do it whenever you want. I know some landscaping companies can get over $100 a lawn and add in a spring clean-up and we are talking $250. I've thought about trying to doing something like that on the side even with my full-time driving job at UPS.

The most difficult thing would be getting the customers, but you could probably under-cut everyone else in price. One approach I saw was a flyer saying "let me cut your lawn for $15 the first time and if you like my job you can hire me for the season". I think it could be a very lucrative business if you put your mind to it.

Or, what about I job pouring beer on the side? There is defintely opportunities to earn more cash while you hold your UPS job. That's what great about it. You have a good part-time job with great benefits that allows you to seek other money-making opportunities.

TSJ

I definitely appreciate the input. Does anyone have any info on which realty company would be good for someone in my position? I definitely want to look into aquiring a skill or license in another part time job that I can use to build my resume and marketabilityhee. Besides, the girlfriend won't let me bartend :-/

Cementups

Box Monkey
Back in the day when I was part time I worked at a video store where, get this, we rented videos out on TAPE!!! Absurd, right? TAPE?!?!? WHat the heck were they thinking 15 years ago?!?!

djkre8r

I have seen a good many of the cover drivers starting lawn care businesses.

Personally, I own a DJ business (www.djrome.com) and work as the TV Director for our local minor league baseball team (Rome Braves).