Coyotes stealing our loads !!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Which is what they did. Guaranteed then 4 weeks of work.

Before the rush hits, that means that a few UPS employees are laid off right now. You know, Business 101. Make good on your contract.

So pay the few at home to honor your contract and get everything moved this peak.
If our guys are staying home they are in a weak local....no reason feeder drivers need to stay home IF they want to work....in these locals they should be using some casual feeder drivers so are they working also and making our guys stay at home too????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Before the rush hits? Man, we are working 6 days a week here and they are talking about working the Monday after Christmas even though it's an observed holiday. I think the rush is here. Christmas sneaks up on the company every year.
No they just try to go cheap every year and always get caught .....unacceptable for a company the size of this who has gone through 100 plus peaks....

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
OK, today might be the first day we have an alleged lack of work for all of our feeder drivers.

Am I required to call in to verify if work or shifting is available? How many hours do we file for? We would be getting more than 40 per week if we were being utilized.

Contractors are running out of our building 24/7.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
How many hours per day do you file for? Is it based on what runs are contracted out?

We have runs being contracted out 24/7 and they are starting to say they have no work for some of us.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
How many hours per day do you file for? Is it based on what runs are contracted out?

We have runs being contracted out 24/7 and they are starting to say they have no work for some of us.
Hoff better get off his hoff and be checking into this.....lmao yeah right...!!!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
If our guys are staying home they are in a weak local....no reason feeder drivers need to stay home IF they want to work....in these locals they should be using some casual feeder drivers so are they working also and making our guys stay at home too????

They are staying home but they are getting paid!!

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Here, we have agreed to 10 hours if a feeder driver is laid off and they use shiny wheels.

Too difficult to keep track of what the shiny wheels ran, so a good compromise was 10 hours, no questions asked.

May have been able to come in and work longer than 10, but not a bad compromise to not even have to file a grievance. 10 hours pay to sit at home.

I'd take it any day.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Here, we have agreed to 10 hours if a feeder driver is laid off and they use shiny wheels.

Too difficult to keep track of what the shiny wheels ran, so a good compromise was 10 hours, no questions asked.

May have been able to come in and work longer than 10, but not a bad compromise to not even have to file a grievance. 10 hours pay to sit at home.

I'd take it any day.
Blows my mind. Would kill for some extra feeder runs put in here. We're getting 50% of our volume after 7AM. Can't process it all.

dudebro

They step over a $100 bill to grab a nickel....their world let em burn it down if they want...

Or maybe it's STILL cheaper to contract out a load, pay the driver who would have taken it a grievance, and not have to hire a full time equivalent for the entire year instead.

Due to eCommerce, peak is getting peakier, if that makes sense. Peak day is larger than a regular day by a bigger margin than it used to be.

We probably know we're going to have the loads. We know the drivers are going to grieve, and we know we're going to pay the grievance.

We know we have to provide the contractor with some certainty so they'll work with us, which means where we come up with fewer loads, drivers will stay home.

All of that is almost certainly cheaper than hiring another permanent driver, and buying / maintaining another tractor, which is the alternative. More like stepping over a Franklin to grab a gold bar.

And, I'd bet my paycheck all of this was discussed with the Union at a high enough level, and it's leverage for whatever else the Union can negotiate. The Teamsters are not unaware that there are contractors running loads. That's impossible.

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Or maybe it's STILL cheaper to contract out a load, pay the driver who would have taken it a grievance, and not have to hire a full time equivalent for the entire year instead.
We probably know we're going to have the loads. We know the drivers are going to grieve, and we know we're going to pay the grievance. We know we have to provide the contractor with some certainty so they'll work with us, which means where we come up with fewer loads, drivers will stay home. All of that is almost certainly cheaper than hiring another driver, and buying / maintaining another tractor, which is the alternative.
Cheaper to run our guys. We tried to go around feeders in my building because we were struggling to get enough work there on time. We did the math that for the run we wanted to hire someone for it would cost the company 480 bucks a day in wages, not including benefits/pension. Went to the freight broker and they said best they could do was 2000 a day, maybe 1800 if we wanted a guy who got his CDL from a homie south of the border.

dudebro

Cheaper THAT DAY, absolutely, to run a UPS driver. But you have to commit to a certain workload, and you'd have to have the UPS driver on payroll to run that load (or another one) in every case.

Somewhere, that's another driver assigned, and that means probably 200k per year, fully allocated. That's overall though.

In individual lanes, our projections are going to miss in some spots, and we're going to pay a contractor and a grievance for a load we could have taken here and there.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Cheaper to run our guys. We tried to go around feeders in my building because we were struggling to get enough work there on time. We did the math that for the run we wanted to hire someone for it would cost the company 480 bucks a day in wages, not including benefits/pension. Went to the freight broker and they said best they could do was 2000 a day, maybe 1800 if we wanted a guy who got his CDL from a homie south of the border.

Well, that's just too damned reasonable.

The UPS way, go figure.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Well, that's just too damned reasonable.

The UPS way, go figure.
I will say this though, they were running every feeder driver they had. There just wasn't enough.

But that makes you scratch your head even more. Why not hire a few contractors to run some rentals at 18.75 an hour??

Overpaid Union Thug

Meanwhile....at my center....we still have plenty of empty trailers on our lot (which neans not enough parking for drivers in the mornings) and there are feeder drivers laid off in our local. We are in the same local as the OP!

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I will say this though, they were running every feeder driver they had. There just wasn't enough.

But that makes you scratch your head even more. Why not hire a few contractors to run some rentals at 18.75 an hour??
Last week they couldn't get enough contractors so they called the wreckers and had loads towed.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Last week they couldn't get enough contractors so they called the wreckers and had loads towed.
133349-the-office-ryan-speechless-sil-XnDC.gif