Crash the Tea Party

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hillary? Do you think she was named Secretary of State for her diplomatic charm? She was named as a parting gift for her support in '08 and to keep her out of the way in '12.

wkmac

Hillary? Do you think she was named Secretary of State for her diplomatic charm? She was named as a parting gift for her support in '08 and to keep her out of the way in '12.

But then Hillary gave Obama Rahm to destroy from within to set her up for 2012'. Don't you just enjoy the love these people share amongst themselves!

Any chance we could give them all guns?
:wink2:

moreluck

golden ticket member
I liked Romney last election....now Mass.'s health plan is the albatross around his neck and the Mormon thing is still pretty big !!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I have to agree with Jones on this one.

Palin would have some MAJOR explaining to justify herself.
That would distract her from talking about real issues

wkmac

Might be too early for him but i would love to see this guy run agaist the Messiah. Hw would tear Obama a new one and the Dims could not use the Race card.

http://allenwestforcongress.com/

Regardless of his race, not that it hurts, West would prove a far better future candidate than say a Newt Gingrich or other GOP retread. Let's be honest, a major appeal of Palin was her outsideness and West still has that freshness about thim. Jones point about baggage being dead on the money. The democrats in 08' looked for a Shining Star much like the republicans did in 1980'. A star well outside the Washington Solar System I might add.

Even though the message had differences and Reagan I think the better natural orator because of his background, both men's campaign did share similar features and do now after the election as the very nature of Washington either forced the 2 of them to go against much of what they said during the campaign or they never had any intention of following through. History will decide that answer. Either way, in both cases, you had 2 men that promised one thing and delivered another. I'm not sure West would not find himself trapped in the same dilemma if he got that job too.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I liked Romney last election....now Mass.'s health plan is the albatross around his neck and the Mormon thing is still pretty big !!
Yup, if he wants the nomination (and we know he does) he's gonna have to come up with a credible explanation for his past and present positions on healthcare because his primary opponents will be all over it in the debates. And you are unfortunately correct about the mormon thing, I think it's disgraceful that religion still plays such a role in our political system. Whatever church/temple a candidate chooses to attend (or not attend) should be of no consequence as we're electing a president, not a pastor. People have every right to their own beliefs, but it's a huge turnoff for me when politicians start spouting off about god and how He plays such an important role in their decision making. Are we actually supposed to believe that? Come on now...
I remember after Tony Blair left office he gave an interview in which he was asked why he didn't talk about his faith more while he was Prime Minister and he replied that in the UK, if you went around talking about god all the time, people tended to think you were a bit of a nutter. Would that many of our own politicians could be as circumspect.

bbsam

Staff member
Don't forget that by most accounts she is one hell of a Secretary of State as well.

bbsam

Staff member
I have to agree with Jones on this one.

Palin would have some MAJOR explaining to justify herself.
That would distract her from talking about real issues

Not talk about the real issues? Has she ever? Does she know what they are? How 'bout Supreme Court cases just for starters?

tieguy

Banned
..............ah nevermind, just trying to have an intelligent conversation here and that includes namecalling...........

actually its not name calling but a play on the latest liberal play here. you guys now like to take every conservative poster here and lump us all together with moderate republicans, conservative republicans , tea partiers and any other right wing fringe nut you can find. well if you liberals are going to keep doing that then you have to expect that those who disagree with your efforts to lump us all together may point out just who you are lumped together with in your liberal coalition.

go back and reread the post and apply some of the intelligent thought you were thinking of applying to this conversations. should be pretty clear.

tieguy

Banned
I don't see Newt getting the nod either, too much baggage. Remember that he was sanctioned by the house for ethics violations and eventually resigned his seat. He and Palin both have a valuable role to play for the GOP in rallying the base, but the big ring is probably out of their reach. You make a good point though, I could see either one of them being a VP or possible cabinet pick (assuming a win) for someone else. Even though it's waay early I see Romney as the front runner, I thought he would have been the repub's best choice last time around. They really need someone who will appeal to independents, they can't win with just their base.

I'm not so sure. I think Romney is too liberal to get elected. Bushs 2004 voting landslide was exactly because he was able to energize the bible thumping base of the conservative right. I think Romney would be another version of McCain and end with the same result. the conservative base was turned off by the liberal McCain and either stayed home or like my family voted for other more conservative candidates.

the good news for all the various repbulicans and conservatives is the democratic party in 2004 was also viewed as being in disarray. Whats troubling is the democrats seem to be trying to screw up in every way imaginable as if they want to lose in 2012. The republican candidate for 2012 should probably hire Obama as his psuedo campaign manager. Just keep playing excerpts of Obamas many mistakes and gaffs , broken promises and play up how he arrogantly pushed through the health care reform bill that fix's absolutely nothing.

it makes you wonder if the democrats are setting up the republicans for 2012. The worst part of the health care spending bill kicks in after 2012. the bill for Obamas exhorbent spending will start coming in then. what better way to set up and destroy the republican party then to leave them with the clean up bill for the democrats laisse faire spending spree.

wkmac

He won the straw pole at the repub. meeting in New Orleans so he has to be considered a front pack possible. Very true about the Mass. Health care and here's a damn if you do, damn if you don't moment. Romney's plan was a model influence on the national plan of Obama/democrats although they packed on extra goodies to buy votes for passage, not that this hasn't happened before. If the national plan shows signs that are positive, Romney could claim some of that success but he'd be a slap in the face of the massive oppostion stirred with help by GOP operatives and if the nominee, they stay home election day as the vote comes down to the real Obama or an Obama wanna-be. If the national healthplan proves a failure and Romney is linked, then he suffers the blame and same results as first example.

This may prove far more a problem for Mitt than his Mormonism. Even many evangelicals have so looked past this to even openly embrace Mitt so I don't think it's a problem. Besides Mitt got elected governor in a State where religious wise, Catholicism rules (44% of pop.) so I'm not so sure his religious affliation is a big deal. But the clock ticketh so we'll find out a lot sooner than we realize.

wkmac

Romney the 2012' front runner for the GOP as per the lastest straw pole, is according to some here, a liberal. McCain the 2008' nominee for the GOP and again according to some here, McCain is a liberal. If one looks at both McCain and Romney and their policies, they very much equal the policies of George Bush and in fact both men highly praised and still praise and support Bush and in the case of Romney, he openly supported and campaigned for McCain. Using the previous construct stated by others here, if McCain and Romney are liberal and both follow policies equal to Bush then we can conclude that Bush is a liberal as well, using the previously stated guidelines.

To conclude, if Bush, McCain and Romney are liberals, the GOP has them as President, Presidential nominee and serious potential nominee and highly valued party leader, then what does this make the GOP? That said, what does that make someone who votes exclusively for the GOP? What does that make someone who demeans and condemns others who don't do likewise, even voting for some 3rd party option?

2000 vote: GOP liberal
2004 vote: GOP liberal
2008 vote: GOP liberal
2012 vote: locked into a construct, GOP liberal

If one votes for a liberal in 4 straight elections and see no other option or alternative but to vote for whatever liberal the GOP puts forward, would this not make said person a liberal themselves?

Using the criteria established already by a GOP diehard, I'm just saying!

tieguy

Banned
Back on topic

I could be wrong but they look like normal americans. And there appears to be quite a few of them there.

tieguy

Banned
Here's a nice piece.

First they show a CNN reporter doing a story on the tea party protest using the democratic tactics and talking points.

they then show a conversation after the story was run where members of crowd confront the journalist for her shoddy reporting.

I love the part where the reporter tries to claim she did not see a sign bashing republicans that is five feet away from her.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

On a side note---wouldn't it be interesting if we had footage from the events which led up to the original Boston Tea Party to compare to the activities of our current version? I wonder what similarities and/or differences would exist between the two. Obviously the basic theme of taxation without representation would be the same but I wonder what else they would have in common.