Crickets Chirping...

vantexan

Who wants to live overseas unless it's Italy or some exotic place? Who is working till 67 or 70? You complained about the Traditional being done away with and now you brag how well you can live on what you got. They could have kept the Traditional and you could have gotten 35k a year in pension alone and you still would have cried. You can't help it, that is all you know. Bummer
Always twisting things aren't you? Not bragging about anything. I can comfortably get by on my pension overseas until I'm 67 when it will drop to $228 a month. I'm trying to discuss something with you if you know how. If they had kept the traditional I'd still be working because under the new pay plan I could finally get paid enough to get 5 decent years on the traditional. To get $35k I'd have to have a $70k average which still involves getting enough OT if it's available. As for who works until they're 67-70 looks like a lot of people will to get a better Social Security check, more 401k, more in the portable pension. They aren't going to have the traditional pension you have nor will they be able to leave as early as 55. Well, they could leave, but not with a monthly check and a whole lot less of the above.

floridays

Anyone that figures to retire solely on their pension, even had they never terminated the Traditional, is kidding themselves. You think you can live comfortably on 30 or 35k per year? That is 50% of a decent courier pay. You just retired and you want to do what you want and work on that bucket list. Build a nice 401k over a 25 or 30 years span and you can get 70% or more of your yearly salary and have some to give your kids when you die.
Again you are putting words in my mouth I never said. I have two pensions,personal investments, and hopefully social security will still be in place.
My fedex pension will not be as large as yours simply because they changed the rules. Once again, You are only a creature of time. You got in its entirety one of the tools fedex used to entice employees to come work, and continue their employment with the company. Many thousands, enticed with the same as you, who were employed at a later date, have the rug pulled out from under us.
Can you understand that?

bacha29

Again you are putting words in my mouth I never said. I have two pensions,personal investments, and hopefully social security will still be in place.
My fedex pension will not be as large as yours simply because they changed the rules. Once again, You are only a creature of time. You got in its entirety one of the tools fedex used to entice employees to come work, and continue their employment with the company. Many thousands, enticed with the same as you, who were employed at a later date, have the rug pulled out from under us.
Can you understand that?
Don't degrade yourself by getting into a spitting contest with the guy. The 21st century world has simply left him behind.

Oldfart

Always twisting things aren't you? Not bragging about anything. I can comfortably get by on my pension overseas until I'm 67 when it will drop to $228 a month. I'm trying to discuss something with you if you know how. If they had kept the traditional I'd still be working because under the new pay plan I could finally get paid enough to get 5 decent years on the traditional. To get $35k I'd have to have a $70k average which still involves getting enough OT if it's available. As for who works until they're 67-70 looks like a lot of people will to get a better Social Security check, more 401k, more in the portable pension. They aren't going to have the traditional pension you have nor will they be able to leave as early as 55. Well, they could leave, but not with a monthly check and a whole lot less of the above.
Dont tell me you took the Social Security leveling option? Hopefully you arent that ignorant.

vantexan

Guess you are that ignorant. They dont call that the "suckers" option for nothing. They sure found 1 in you. Bummer
That option will allow me to get our house paid off and then use it for income if needed. Will get more from rent in the long run than from a smaller pension. Not to mention health issues that probably will cut the pension short. We didn't get the income you did, had to make hard choices.

Oldfart

Pension leveling is not an option for us.
It is not an option because only an idiot would take it. Kinda like someone on here. Lets look at his story.

1. He cries CONSTANTLY that his pension is too small because the company changed it.
2. He brags that he can live on half of his 22k pension. I thought it was too small.
3. Now I figured out he took the WORST option possible on his pension.
4. Should something happen to him today, his wife gets NOTHING from his pension.
5. He is an idiot for making that choice and not looking past "fast" money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I Googled "advantages of pension leveling" and this is what I got:

The leveling applies to the amount of pension payments and not to the amount of Social Security you will receive. If your employer offers a Social Security level option as a Pension Plan Payout Option, it may be easier to take an early retirement.

Oldfart

That option will allow me to get our house paid off and then use it for income if needed. Will get more from rent in the long run than from a smaller pension. Not to mention health issues that probably will cut the pension short. We didn't get the income you did, had to make hard choices.
You didn't make the sacrifices I did for the last 35 or so years to be able to retire comfortably. While I was driving old paid for cars, selling stuff on Ebay and Craiglist and driving for Uber and Lyft and doing whatever for side money, what sacrifices did you make to make retirement a reality?

vantexan

You didn't make the sacrifices I did for the last 35 or so years to be able to retire comfortably. While I was driving old paid for cars, selling stuff on Ebay and Craiglist and driving for Uber and Lyft and doing whatever for side money, what sacrifices did you make to make retirement a reality?
I worked for FedEx, which was a mistake. Should have gone with UPS when they offered me a job. But it was ok, because FedEx was offering a traditional pension and promises of better pay. That's what I did, naively believed them. And I am retired, made it a reality on my own. You keep forgetting you're the one who's still working. Afraid to pull the trigger?

vantexan

It is not an option because only an idiot would take it. Kinda like someone on here. Lets look at his story.

1. He cries CONSTANTLY that his pension is too small because the company changed it.
2. He brags that he can live on half of his 22k pension. I thought it was too small.
4. Should something happen to him today, his wife gets NOTHING from his pension.
My wife would've gotten a $1000 a month and still have a mortgage over her head if something happened to me. As is I've got term insurance that'll take care of her. I also have heart disease, diabetes that's getting worse, and knees going bad. Not everyone is in the position you're in. But it makes you feel manly to run over others while thinking you know it all.

Oldfart

I Googled "advantages of pension leveling" and this is what I got:

The leveling applies to the amount of pension payments and not to the amount of Social Security you will receive. If your employer offers a Social Security level option as a Pension Plan Payout Option, it may be easier to take an early retirement.
Correct, it does not affect your SS when you take it. It seriously reduces your pension once you start SS. PLUS, your spouse gets NOTHING if you die. It is fast money but NOT smart money. It takes an idiot to use that plan.

Oldfart

I worked for FedEx, which was a mistake. Should have gone with UPS when they offered me a job. But it was ok, because FedEx was offering a traditional pension and promises of better pay. That's what I did, naively believed them. And I am retired, made it a reality on my own. You keep forgetting you're the one who's still working. Afraid to pull the trigger?
You are still crying about things that happened years ago.

I work because I enjoy my job. Checking off my bucket list and calling it quits in about 15 months or so.

You quit because you HATED your job, your life and everything in it.

vantexan

And get it through your thick skull, I have enough to get by on because I'm willing to live in Eastern Europe. Something you don't have the cajones to do and never will.

Oldfart

My wife would've gotten a $1000 a month and still have a mortgage over her head if something happened to me. As is I've got term insurance that'll take care of her. I also have heart disease, diabetes that's getting worse, and knees going bad. Not everyone is in the position you're in. But it makes you feel manly to run over others while thinking you know it all.
You made a BAD choice and took quick money.

vantexan

You are still crying about things that happened years ago.

I work because I enjoy my job. Checking off my bucket list and calling it quits in about 15 months or so.

You quit because you HATED your job, your life and everything in it.
I quit because after almost 15 years I was making almost $7hr less than top out and under the new plan I'd have to work another 9 years to top out. I'd save more living overseas on a small amount than continuing to work at this God forsaken company.

Oldfart

I quit because after almost 15 years I was making almost $7hr less than top out and under the new plan I'd have to work another 9 years to top out. I'd save more living overseas on a small amount than continuing to work at this God forsaken company.
Yet you stay on here day and night bitching. You don't work here no more. Quit letting it run your life. Move on.