Crickets Chirping...

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Just don't turn it into a political thing...

Yeah, it's not good trying to find supplemental drivers at HD. My customers don't know that my volume triples after about mid November.

"So is BUDGET hiring???"

No, the subcontractors are... they just don't have enough vehicles.

And I still get customers surprised that I'm in a rental.

BTW, Are you gonna be an Amazonian driver?

bacha29

Yeah, it's not good trying to find supplemental drivers at HD. My customers don't know that my volume triples after about mid November.

"So is BUDGET hiring???"

To no one's surprise finding seasonal box luggers is going to be challenging. As soon as the magical words are spoken....drug test.....they turn around and walk out. The station I worked out of wants me back badly for 2 reasons....experience plus drug and alcohol free. I'm doing it as a favor to the service manager who is the most vulnerable in case volume and weather throws them behind and it gives me a chance to see how well these new titanium hip joints perform in a working environment . The job as it turns out pays less than I would like but I never asked that question until after I agreed to go out and help.

vantexan

"So is BUDGET hiring???"

No, decided not to work full-time. Might go to Express station to see about helping at Peak. Heading to Europe in January.

Oldfart

To no one's surprise finding seasonal box luggers is going to be challenging. As soon as the magical words are spoken....drug test.....they turn around and walk out. The station I worked out of wants me back badly for 2 reasons....experience plus drug and alcohol free. I'm doing it as a favor to the service manager who is the most vulnerable in case volume and weather throws them behind and it gives me a chance to see how well these new titanium hip joints perform in a working environment . The job as it turns out pays less than I would like but I never asked that question until after I agreed to go out and help.
I know you make whatever you made when you retired. Do the pay raises come into play as far as what you left at getting a raise?

bacha29

I know you make whatever you made when you retired. Do the pay raises come into play as far as what you left at getting a raise?
If what you're trying to say is will my hourly be advanced due to the years as a contractor? The answer is no. I will be moving from contractor to employee and for all intents and purposes I'm starting at ground zero. I'm doing this as a favor to the service manager who is the only trust worthy person at the station. What worries me is because he is at the bottom of the station management chain of command he stands to be caught between seasonal volume spikes and the failure or inability of the contractors to acquire and deploy the additional assets needed for peak.

It will be fine

If what you're trying to say is will my hourly be advanced due to the years as a contractor? The answer is no. I will be moving from contractor to employee and for all intents and purposes I'm starting at ground zero. I'm doing this as a favor to the service manager who is the only trust worthy person at the station. What worries me is because he is at the bottom of the station management chain of command he stands to be caught between seasonal volume spikes and the failure or inability of the contractors to acquire and deploy the additional assets needed for peak.
You're nuts. Hold out for more cash, let the contractor see failure coming and pony up.

bacha29

You're nuts. Hold out for more cash, let the contractor see failure coming and pony up.
They'd rather have a case of penicillin resistant gonorrhea then to have to ask me to help them. If and I'm sure that you know that if the company has to step in and deploy assets the contractor gets the bill and perhaps a letter to cure. They seem to prefer going that route and that's fine with me. What's comical is that this service manager is calling up and signing up as many people with prior experience and have proven themselves to be reliable and substance free as he can so that the contractors have to train the newbies, the refugees and the recently paroled.
To the contractors I use the old Dennis Hopper Nike commercial to remind them......"Do you know what happens when you're not ready for peak......Bad things man".

It will be fine

They'd rather have a case of penicillin resistant gonorrhea then to have to ask me to help them. If and I'm sure that you know that if the company has to step in and deploy assets the contractor gets the bill and perhaps a letter to cure. They seem to prefer going that route and that's fine with me. What's comical is that this service manager is calling up and signing up as many people with prior experience and have proven themselves to be reliable and substance free as he can so that the contractors have to train the newbies, the refugees and the recently paroled.
To the contractors I use the old Dennis Hopper Nike commercial to remind them......"Do you know what happens when you're not ready for peak......Bad things man".
Are you going to work as a temp or for a contractor? I'd think the contractors would pay more for the reliability.

bacha29

Are you going to work as a temp or for a contractor? I'd think the contractors would pay more for the reliability.
Going out as a temp. It pays better and I simply refuse to be cuffed around by a desperate contractor feeling the heat. Moreover a number of people who worked during peak for a contractor refused to come back the following year unless they were under the temp designation.Nevertheless will I still put in a solid days work despite the fact that everything from my pelvis to my knees in both legs is nothing but titanium rods and plastic bushings Furthermore I don't need the money to begin with not to mention the fact that in the opinion of the contractors who came on afterward they had more power than us three Day1's and they knew more about this line of work than we did . They had no respect for us at all despite the fact that if it were not for the hardship and deprivation the three of us had to endure in order to fight off closure in the twice in the first 3 years the place wouldn't even be there today. It's not up to me to protect their interests but I can see and appreciate your concern.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Nevertheless will I still put in a solid days work despite the fact that everything from my pelvis to my knees in both legs is nothing but titanium rods and plastic bushings Furthermore I don't need the money to begin with

Amazing.

OrioN

Bacha, if they start hiring temps in my area, I may jump ship as well...

are you still in a budget?

Yeah, Caesar, the struggle to get me in a branded FedEx van or truck is real.

As others have stated in other threads, we're scratching our heads as to why it's been so long... I did get that raise though, so I may stick it out since my area knowledge keeps me stress free running around in the darkness.

PS, someone over at the brownie side said we lost the chewy account, is that true???

Because I'm still building my walls with them...
DSC_0015.JPG

bacha29

Bacha, if they start hiring temps in my area, I may jump ship as well...

Yeah, Caesar, the struggle to get me in a branded FedEx van or truck is real.

As others have stated in other threads, we're scratching our heads as to why it's been so long... I did get that raise though, so I may stick it out since my area knowledge keeps me stress free running around in the darkness.

PS, someone over at the brownie side said we lost the chewy account, is that true???

Because I'm still building my walls with them...View attachment 161427
At my terminal contractors pay their people on a per diem basis. They would send them out most of the time stuffed to the max with the expectation that they clean every day. Now it didn't matter if it took them 7 hours or 14 hours it all payed the same. After awhile anybody is going to get tired of it. That explains why people want to sign on as a temp and so do I. Going forward I will not ally myself with a contractor because I'm not going to put up with one of them calling me up at 5 AM frantically wanting me to drop everything else I have planned that day and come running to get them out of their mess after not hearing from them for months.
Understand each one only has 4 routes therefore they don't have the revenue stream to employ people for whom they don't have a route. Nope, I'm not going to be tied to this thing like a dog out in the yard. It's a contractor problem that requires a contractor solution.

OrioN

They're not isp's yet???

With your surgeries, you would be best as a trainer...

Stay employed as a temp, but make it known to the local management that you can get the other incoming temps up to speed with the powerpad functions. They ride shotgun and basically be your package mule, while you're behind the wheel.

Just make sure they scan at the point of delivery since it's now tagged with a GPS marker.

HD? Employ the Garmin GPS integration with the training, showing them how to skip Orion trace is moot point at this time.

They are paid hourly, so it's up to dispatch to make sure the trace won't be making them go in circles...

DEX codes 002 003 006 007 011 are the main ones used, so that's easy on the HD side.

The special ones, like code 010, if you see the box leaking or hear broken glass can be used in conjunction with calling local management about it I guess.

Pickup and call tags should be rare.