Crickets Chirping...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yeah my boss is the same way. It’s a sad state that most Fedex managers seriously lack leadership effectiveness. Good luck to you and your new employer.

What kind of ego does it take for an employee in an entry level position to make judgments about thousands of FedEx managers you've never worked for, met, or are unable to name? Just curious.

Oldfart

You're almost at the point where you can accurately interpret someone else's post that was written in plain English. Almost.
I can usually understand a post written by a literate and educated person. Kinda explains why I have such trouble with your post. Bummer

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
What kind of ego does it take for an employee in an entry level position to make judgments about thousands of FedEx managers you've never worked for, met, or are unable to name? Just curious.
Point well made. However, it is human nature to derive patterns from observation. Based on one's FedEx experiences, it is only natural to arrive at muckducks conclusion. Not unlike your generalizations about couriers.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Point well made. However, it is human nature to derive patterns from observation. Based on one's FedEx experiences, it is only natural to arrive at muckducks conclusion. Not unlike your generalizations about couriers.

It's the difference between making a judgment about "most FedEx managers" based on interactions with a handful of them vs. making a judgment about large numbers of couriers based on tons of data that comes from large numbers of couriers.

vantexan

I'll put my education (and what I've done with it) up against yours if you want to go that route.
By the time I retired I had worked with about 70 senior and ops mgrs. Some of them were really good people. Many of them weren't. A theme that ran through a lot of them seemed to be that they were intellectually superior. Some were very intelligent. But what came across with many is that because they were good, or at least competent, at their job they were superior in every aspect of life. If you demonstrated any knowledge about literally anything that they weren't familiar they often looked stunned. So many didn't know a lot about much of anything beyond their job. Highly compartmentalized. And I think I worked with enough of them in enough areas of the country to have a decent statistical sample. It's the company's corporate culture. I suspect it salved their minds a bit when we were getting screwed by them that we somehow deserved it. I think you've demonstrated a bit of knowledge about numerous subjects. Not saying you or they lack intelligence. But it does come across sometimes that as a group you think we're your inferiors and we're inferior in general to managers in general. Good luck with your corporate career. If one takes on the responsibility one deserves respect. But many of us didn't choose that path, not because we're innately inferior, but because we have other priorities, other goals, and living for a company in exchange for more money isn't worth it to us. Each of us has one life, and many of us don't want it defined by others.

floridays

It's the difference between making a judgment about "most FedEx managers" based on interactions with a handful of them vs. making a judgment about large numbers of couriers based on tons of data that comes from large numbers of couriers.
Totally subjective, depends on the data and what one is seeking to prove. Give all couriers the a ability to judge management via data and see the results. You're right we have the sfa, I think I used my last sheet last night. Note to self, buy another roll of sfa.

floridays

Yea. But I have all the money. Bummer
Only because fedex didn't screw you like tens of thousands of fellow co- workers. You still don't get it buddy, you are only a creature of time. You hired on at a better time. Many, even offered the same as you, won't be getting what you will. Got that?

bacha29

By the time I retired I had worked with about 70 senior and ops mgrs. Some of them were really good people. Many of them weren't. A theme that ran through a lot of them seemed to be that they were intellectually superior. Some were very intelligent. But what came across with many is that because they were good, or at least competent, at their job they were superior in every aspect of life. If you demonstrated any knowledge about literally anything that they weren't familiar they often looked stunned. So many didn't know a lot about much of anything beyond their job. Highly compartmentalized. And I think I worked with enough of them in enough areas of the country to have a decent statistical sample. It's the company's corporate culture. I suspect it salved their minds a bit when we were getting screwed by them that we somehow deserved it. I think you've demonstrated a bit of knowledge about numerous subjects. Not saying you or they lack intelligence. But it does come across sometimes that as a group you think we're your inferiors and we're inferior in general to managers in general. Good luck with your corporate career. If one takes on the responsibility one deserves respect. But many of us didn't choose that path, not because we're innately inferior, but because we have other priorities, other goals, and living for a company in exchange for more money isn't worth it to us. Each of us has one life, and many of us don't want it defined by others.
Big egos combined with too many trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy along with a completely undeserved sense of self importance.

dezguy

Speaking of SFA.... did any of you guys have a SFA feedback meeting this year?
I was offered a one on one since scores were so bad this year, management is trying to figure out what went wrong. I declined stating I've been around long enough to know nothing is going to change, regardless of what I, or anyone else says.

The manager tried the whole, well that's why we're having one on one meetings. I replied with "had sfa scores been acceptable to the white shirts in Toronto, would we be having one on one meetings?"

The look on the managers face was absolutely priceless after which I got a "so I'll put you down as not wanting a one on one then..."

Oldfart

Only because fedex didn't screw you like tens of thousands of fellow co- workers. You still don't get it buddy, you are only a creature of time. You hired on at a better time. Many, even offered the same as you, won't be getting what you will. Got that?
Everybody doesn't have access to the 401K that is gonna allow me to retire comfortably? I didn't realize that. When did they quit giving everyone access to that amazing program?

If others were offered what I was and didn't take advantage of it, whose fault is that?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I'll put my education (and what I've done with it) up against yours if you want to go that route.
Read this somewhere, seems to apply.

"There are Leaders, and there are Bullies.
And while, in the end, both can accomplish what they set out to do,
Ultimately only one of them will have a loyal following."

And the best way to accomplish a common goal is to be a leader. This premise seems to be lost on management at FedEx,

floridays

Everybody doesn't have access to the 401K that is gonna allow me to retire comfortably? I didn't realize that. When did they quit giving everyone access to that amazing program?

If others were offered what I was and didn't take advantage of it, whose fault is that?
Seriously buddy? I know you are smarter than that, so I'll just conclude that you're just intellectually dishonest. Just in case I'm wrong on the former I'll buy some crayolas this weekend and draw you a picture.
Kick :censored2: on that bucket list.
Yours Truly
Floridays

Oldfart

Seriously buddy? I know you are smarter than that, so I'll just conclude that you're just intellectually dishonest. Just in case I'm wrong on the former I'll buy some crayolas this weekend and draw you a picture.
Kick :censored2: on that bucket list.
Yours Truly
Floridays
Please do. You said others were offered what I got and didn't take it. You never said whose fault that was? Is the company at fault if a person never enrolled in the 401k and 20 years later they have nothing in that plan. We had a meeting a while back about retirement benefits and 2 people with almost 30 years admitted they never enrolled and had opted out when the company automatically enrolled people. Now they want to know how they are gonna afford to retire. They aren't.