Crickets Chirping...

floridays

Please do. You said others were offered what I got and didn't take it. You never said whose fault that was? Is the company at fault if a person never enrolled in the 401k and 20 years later they have nothing in that plan. We had a meeting a while back about retirement benefits and 2 people with almost 30 years admitted they never enrolled and had opted out when the company automatically enrolled people. Now they want to know how they are gonna afford to retire. They aren't.
I'm in the 401k, next point. I'll prove my point without fear of of being proven wrong, quite possibly I have overstated your smarts. I'm very willing to work with you though.

floridays

Please do. You said others were offered what I got and didn't take it. You never said whose fault that was? Is the company at fault if a person never enrolled in the 401k and 20 years later they have nothing in that plan. We had a meeting a while back about retirement benefits and 2 people with almost 30 years admitted they never enrolled and had opted out when the company automatically enrolled people. Now they want to know how they are gonna afford to retire. They aren't.
I never said others were offered what you got and didn't take it. Others were offered the same 2% a year, up to 25 years which would yield 50% based on our top 5 years of earnings. You got your 25 years, yielding 50% of the average of your highest 5 earning years. Countless thousands were topped at what they could acquire in fiscal year 2008 as the defined plan was terminated. That has absolutely nothing to do with the 401k or the portable pension plan. Please don't put words in my mouth or change what I said. A little unsolicited advice, don't put your trust in money.

Oldfart

I never said others were offered what you got and didn't take it. Others were offered the same 2% a year, up to 25 years which would yield 50% based on our top 5 years of earnings. You got your 25 years, yielding 50% of the average of your highest 5 earning years. Countless thousands were topped at what they could acquire in fiscal year 2008 as the defined plan was terminated. That has absolutely nothing to do with the 401k or the portable pension plan. Please don't put words in my mouth or change what I said. A little unsolicited advice, don't put your trust in money.
You said " many, if offered what I was, won't get what I got". Sounds like the offer was there, you just have to take the offer

Oldfart

Anyone that figures to retire solely on their pension, even had they never terminated the Traditional, is kidding themselves. You think you can live comfortably on 30 or 35k per year? That is 50% of a decent courier pay. You just retired and you want to do what you want and work on that bucket list. Build a nice 401k over a 25 or 30 years span and you can get 70% or more of your yearly salary and have some to give your kids when you die.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
By the time I retired I had worked with about 70 senior and ops mgrs.
And I think I worked with enough of them in enough areas of the country to have a decent statistical sample.

You'd worked for 70 of the THOUSANDS and you think that's a decent sized sample. Alrighty then.

But it does come across sometimes that as a group you think we're your inferiors and we're inferior in general to managers in general.

A person who wants as little responsibility as possible and wants it limited to his sort position, his truck, his packages, and his route and who thinks that all of the issues and concerns of FedEx are limited to what he sees with his own eyes and hears with his own ears... he's not in the best position to determine what should be done by people with a level of responsibility he'd never accept, for a group of people larger than he'd ever want to deal with, about issues/concerns that he'd have trouble understanding if he even knew they existed.

59 Dano

I was offered a one on one since scores were so bad this year, management is trying to figure out what went wrong. I declined stating I've been around long enough to know nothing is going to change, regardless of what I, or anyone else says.

The manager tried the whole, well that's why we're having one on one meetings. I replied with "had sfa scores been acceptable to the white shirts in Toronto, would we be having one on one meetings?"

The look on the managers face was absolutely priceless after which I got a "so I'll put you down as not wanting a one on one then..."

"No one is willing to listen to what we have to say."
What do you have to say?
"It doesn't matter."

NEXT YEAR: "Still have the same old crap from last year."

59 Dano

Read this somewhere, seems to apply.

"There are Leaders, and there are Bullies.
And while, in the end, both can accomplish what they set out to do,
Ultimately only one of them will have a loyal following."

And the best way to accomplish a common goal is to be a leader. This premise seems to be lost on management at FedEx,

There are great ones here, lousy ones here, and every other kind in between. No different than anywhere else.

vantexan

You'd worked for 70 of the THOUSANDS and you think that's a decent sized sample. Alrighty then.

A person who wants as little responsibility as possible and wants it limited to his sort position, his truck, his packages, and his route and who thinks that all of the issues and concerns of FedEx are limited to what he sees with his own eyes and hears with his own ears... he's not in the best position to determine what should be done by people with a level of responsibility he'd never accept, for a group of people larger than he'd ever want to deal with, about issues/concerns that he'd have trouble understanding if he even knew they existed.
Many of those managers had worked in other stations and I had worked in numerous stations around the country. Not to mention managers from sister stations who helped out and the occasional director dropping by. And I started in Memphis. I've worked in large city stations too so yeah, I think I experienced a good cross section of what this company is about. And your answer demonstrates what many managers think, that we're only as knowledgeable as the job we do. I've worked with military retirees who've been all over the world. College graduates. Knew one fellow who played for the Boston Red Sox. A woman who worked as a biologist in Alaska. And on it goes. But our management corps too often wants to hang on to this idea that they're superior to most couriers, if not all in some cases. Fact is many of us who've been around awhile once really believed in the company and the future it held for us. Eventually we just had to accept that it was just a group of greedy people with skewed values who would say anything to keep their golden goose going. The types who believe they're winners and if one doesn't "achieve" like they do they're losers.

dezguy

"No one is willing to listen to what we have to say."
What do you have to say?
"It doesn't matter."

NEXT YEAR: "Still have the same old crap from last year."
As I said, I have been around long enough to know our opinion no longer matters and one on one meeting are now just to make it seem like they care about what we think.

Year after year, they do their stupid little sfa and year after year, nothing has changed. Why would I continue to care? Hell, the only reason I do the sfa is because it's an easy 15 min of pay.

I no longer care if they want to know what I think because I don't care about the company. The only thing I care about, from them is whether my cheque clears.

Last edited:

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

So, your superior attitude comes from your position. Were you consecrated at the same time you were promoted? People who think they are better than those whom they outrank, are morally bankrupt. IMHO.

floridays

I think it is an excellent sample size . Considering each manager goes through the same training, the same exact materials, it is a standardized program. They are cutting cookies that are hopefully identical in their perfect business world. Lets not play a game, basically each courier that responds to you relays this to you. 59 you still haven't got it. I can actually see a lot of your intelligence but you have really missed something, it may be clouded by the fact that managers shovel manure based on talking points from you superiors. That is not managing, that is being a messenger boy or girl, whichever applies. I hope you are going into corrections (penal) or you may find yourself insufficient to the task.
Only my opinion, don't get unhinged like most fedex managers would. I'm sure you've been versed in how to respond an attack like this. I await the corporate approved management response.

Schweddy

Balls
There are great ones here, lousy ones here, and every other kind in between. No different than anywhere else.

Very accurate for such a vague statement. You gonna put up your IQ or what?

I think it is an excellent sample size . ...... I await the corporate approved management response.

He's ditching the company with no notice to "show em who's boss" because he's "time and again" tried to work with his senior and director and whoever else and is Fredup. Throw your team under the bus and give the uppers a "plan" of correction. OR...dano is on the verge of being terminated for leadership failure. That would be an epic plot twist.

It's peculiar that he has a problem with my sentiment towards FX "leadership" but he's gonna quit because of them. Good one Dano.

bacha29

Very accurate for such a vague statement. You gonna put up your IQ or what?

He's ditching the company with no notice to "show em who's boss" because he's "time and again" tried to work with his senior and director and whoever else and is Fredup. Throw your team under the bus and give the uppers a "plan" of correction. OR...dano is on the verge of being terminated for leadership failure. That would be an epic plot twist.

It's peculiar that he has a problem with my sentiment towards FX "leadership" but he's gonna quit because of them. Good one Dano.
You know what happens when you go to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy too many times? ........Bad things man.....Look at Dano. It just molested his mind.

vantexan

Anyone that figures to retire solely on their pension, even had they never terminated the Traditional, is kidding themselves. You think you can live comfortably on 30 or 35k per year? That is 50% of a decent courier pay. You just retired and you want to do what you want and work on that bucket list. Build a nice 401k over a 25 or 30 years span and you can get 70% or more of your yearly salary and have some to give your kids when you die.
Glad to see you admit $60k-$70k is decent courier pay. Most I ever made was $48k and I volunteered for every bit of OT I could get to make that much. Glad to see the better pay plan now but when people were making $35k-$40k and had families to support it was pretty difficult to properly fund a 401k. With the new plan and their spouse working they have a decent shot at a decent retirement if they're careful. As for living on just your traditional pension, I'm getting $22k a year and can easily live on that overseas. By living on half of that we'll get the car and house paid off and use the house for rental income. There are more ways to skin a cat than to run like crazy until one is 67-70.

Oldfart

Glad to see you admit $60k-$70k is decent courier pay. Most I ever made was $48k and I volunteered for every bit of OT I could get to make that much. Glad to see the better pay plan now but when people were making $35k-$40k and had families to support it was pretty difficult to properly fund a 401k. With the new plan and their spouse working they have a decent shot at a decent retirement if they're careful. As for living on just your traditional pension, I'm getting $22k a year and can easily live on that overseas. By living on half of that we'll get the car and house paid off and use the house for rental income. There are more ways to skin a cat than to run like crazy until one is 67-70.
Who wants to live overseas unless it's Italy or some exotic place? Who is working till 67 or 70? You complained about the Traditional being done away with and now you brag how well you can live on what you got. They could have kept the Traditional and you could have gotten 35k a year in pension alone and you still would have cried. You can't help it, that is all you know. Bummer