Crickets Chirping...

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
But statisticians use samples of thousands to extrapolate what occurs in millions, so I think for the size group we're talking about I have a decent sized statistical sample.

I can't stop laughing!

You see a professional management corps, I see a team of unequals. Bet your experience working with various mgrs is considerably less than mine.

I see a professional management corps that is tasked with multiple short, long, and middle-term goals that affect multiple parts of the company in multiple all over the country. They are evaluated on making those goals and a boatload of other objective criteria. I didn't know many of them and the relative few that I did know I didn't know well. By design, I was rarely around any of them for a long enough amount of time to have a reason to look at their work in anything less than a purely objective manner.

You see a bunch of different managers and you judge them based on how well you think they did meeting whatever expectations you have of them and if they were nice to you.

But of course you're naturally superior so that overrides decades of experience dealing with FedEx management.

You don't see the fundamental difference in your experience of "dealing with" FedEx management and my experience "dealing with" FedEx management.

vantexan

I can't stop laughing!

I see a professional management corps that is tasked with multiple short, long, and middle-term goals that affect multiple parts of the company in multiple all over the country. They are evaluated on making those goals and a boatload of other objective criteria. I didn't know many of them and the relative few that I did know I didn't know well. By design, I was rarely around any of them for a long enough amount of time to have a reason to look at their work in anything less than a purely objective manner.

You see a bunch of different managers and you judge them based on how well you think they did meeting whatever expectations you have of them and if they were nice to you.

You don't see the fundamental difference in your experience of "dealing with" FedEx management and my experience "dealing with" FedEx management.
What I saw over and over were managers who routinely lied to couriers. I saw more than a handful fired for screwing, literally, their employees. I saw quite a few who depended on their employees to run the sorts and load balance because they didn't know what they were doing. I saw quite a few arrogantly believe that they knew everything, couldn't be told anything, tried to make things happen that couldn't possibly work, and seethed with anger when employees went over their heads about it. Managers that surrounded themselves with a few buddy couriers who made things tough on the rest of couriers. Once saw a senior come in temporarily who showed us a way to unload containers faster that was actually easier on us physically. When our senior got back he said not policy and made us go back to old way. You really don't know what goes on, but make certain assumptions that aren't always valid. More often than not. Tell me, when a director is trying to get a plum directorship elsewhere and tasks managers with goals that are impossible to make without breaking policy to the point they're defrauding customers and threatening employees, do you think it's just a matter of they aren't being nice? What you assume is we're not bright enough to understand the big picture, yada yada.

Last edited:

Oldfart

Left at noon on Tuesday, hoss.
I didn't hear anything about the 3 people that had their life ruined having jumped off a bridge. I guess you wern't as important as you thought. Just another ignorant first level manager that most likely left before he was asked to. Bummer

Oldfart

What I saw over and over were managers who routinely lied to couriers. I saw more than a handful fired for screwing, literally, their employees. I saw quite a few who depended on their employees to run the sorts and load balance because they didn't know what they were doing. I saw quite a few arrogantly believe that they knew everything, couldn't be told anything, tried to make things happen that couldn't possibly work, and seethed with anger when employees went over their heads about it. Managers that surrounded themselves with a few buddy couriers who made things tough on the rest of couriers. Once saw a senior come in temporarily who showed us a way to unload containers faster that was actually easier on us physically. When our senior got back he said not policy and made us go back to old way. You really don't know what goes on, but make certain assumptions that aren't always valid. More often than not. Tell me, when a director is trying to get a plum directorship elsewhere and tasks managers with goals that are impossible to make without breaking policy to the point they're defrauding customers and threatening employees, do you think it's just a matter of they aren't being nice? What you assume is we're not bright enough to understand the big picture, yada yada.
Still complaining about things that happened in the 90's. Wow.

Express Courier

iYCLV7Z.gif

Oldfart

Not complaining, just recounting. Would you like me to go into what FedEx did, not managers, but the company? Would be happy to accommodate you.
Can you explain it? For the 50th time. Dude, these events happened YEARS ago. You retired. MOVE ON. Staying angry and bitter years after you left a company accomplishes NOTHING. Well, it does give you something to whine about.

59 Dano

I didn't hear anything about the 3 people that had their life ruined having jumped off a bridge. I guess you wern't as important as you thought. Just another ignorant first level manager that most likely left before he was asked to. Bummer

No shortage of straw men, I see.

59 Dano

You really don't know what goes on, but make certain assumptions that aren't always valid.

I don't know every last detail about each of your personal anecdotes that are the basis of such broad, general, and sweeping assumptions about the company as a whole. I also don't know every last detail about some other courier's personal anecdotes that are as overwhelmingly positive as yours are negative, upon which he bases his broad, general, and sweeping assumptions about the company as a whole.

Why would I discount a large data set in favor of one person's anecdote?

What you assume is we're not bright enough to understand the big picture, yada yada.

You go out of your way to prove it.

Oldfart

No shortage of straw men, I see.
No shortage of ignorant first line managers like you that can't tell their butt from a whole in the ground. If there is anything I learned in all my years. Managers come and go like the season. Bad ones normally get run off or quit because they can't handle their job. Which was it with you? I have met very few managers that were as good at their job as I am at mine. That is why I have had a good career and don't get hassled like ole Tex did. I get left alone and watch my manager spend a good part of his day putting out fires the useless employees start. Bad employees usually get the raw end of every deal and the way tex talks, that was his entire career. Bummer

vantexan

I don't know every last detail about each of your personal anecdotes that are the basis of such broad, general, and sweeping assumptions about the company as a whole. I also don't know every last detail about some other courier's personal anecdotes that are as overwhelmingly positive as yours are negative, upon which he bases his broad, general, and sweeping assumptions about the company as a whole.

Why would I discount a large data set in favor of one person's anecdote?

You go out of your way to prove it.
You admit you don't know any managers but stick to your belief that they're this professional corps that are tasked with duties we couriers are incapable of understanding. OK, let's put it this way: the majority of managers came out of the courier ranks. Now you can drop to your knees, put your head in your hands, come to the shocking conclusion that you've given so many of your good years to a company run by couriers. There there, I know it's hard. Hey Oldfart, give him some of that special courier love, he needs it.

vantexan

No shortage of ignorant first line managers like you that can't tell their butt from a whole in the ground. If there is anything I learned in all my years. Managers come and go like the season. Bad ones normally get run off or quit because they can't handle their job. Which was it with you? I have met very few managers that were as good at their job as I am at mine. That is why I have had a good career and don't get hassled like ole Tex did. I get left alone and watch my manager spend a good part of his day putting out fires the useless employees start. Bad employees usually get the raw end of every deal and the way tex talks, that was his entire career. Bummer
19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story building I had never been in in downtown Seattle. That was my career. Talk all you want, I had a manager describe me in my record as superhuman. And today my knees hurt when I stand up. I earned the right to be critical while you skated. Bummer.

Oldfart

19 stops in 24 minutes in a 36 story building I had never been in in downtown Seattle. That was my career. Talk all you want, I had a manager describe me in my record as superhuman. And today my knees hurt when I stand up. I earned the right to be critical while you skated. Bummer.
That's right. I heard about you. You ran 150% and ran uphill BOTH ways on your rt. Your pad went down and you sheeted your stops and still ran 150%. You had a flat tire and put all your stops on your back. You saved a baby from drowning. You gave a customer CPR. You helped carry people out of a burning house. You helped build a house for the homeless. You were the greatest.

Oldfart

I get to skate because my manager loves me. Never call in sick, no accidents, never late. I don't give him any grief.

Your managers hated you because you bitched, whined and complained. You admitted you called them out every chance you got. You were a pain in their butt and they took every opportunity to screw you over.

Meanwhile I can do about anything I want and get away with it and make the good money and good retirement. You said you got screwed and only have 24k a year to live on. You bitched and lost. I did my job and came out a "WINNER" Bummer