Current president & potential strike.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
A UPS strike is well below the requirements that a U.S. president has to intervene.
If it had to do with National safety, then yes.
He's not going to force us to eat a bad contract though I'm sure we'll hear about it on his Twitter account.

giphy.gif
6% of the GDP travels through UPS. If he can claim Canadian steel is a national security risk, he can claim us striking is one too

bacha29

After reading you posts may I add two comments. First there's little chance GDP growth will be enough to offset the revenue loss resulting from the tax cut which means that the federal government will have to go into the credit markets and borrow more money. Net result.....higher interest rates. Trump strike intervention,,,,Remember this is an election year and he will do what will best assure the preservation of his political majority. Odds of a strike ....my guess one in three,,,,,,,but a tentative settlement will not be reached until the final hours. This one will cut it close.

542thruNthru

After reading you posts may I add two comments. First there's little chance GDP growth will be enough to offset the revenue loss resulting from the tax cut which means that the federal government will have to go into the credit markets and borrow more money. Net result.....higher interest rates. Trump strike intervention,,,,Remember this is an election year and he will do what will best assure the preservation of his political majority. Odds of a strike ....my guess one in three,,,,,,,but a tentative settlement will not be reached until the final hours. This one will cut it close.

I'd believe you but @bbsam told me you were a single route contractor for FedEx ground and are always wrong.

Sorry it's just what I was told.

ski or die

Ski or Die
From past experiences, including 1997, this will not be resolved by August 1st. There will be an extension as the union will say we only have a few small differences to work out. It will be very difficult to force the union to strike. Probably won't be settled until October on November. Even then, probably not all supplements in some locals may not be resolved. That's the difference between Mr. Carey and current administration. Mr. Carey was not afraid to stand up to UPS and follow the memberships wishes.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The Teamsters kick the company's arse.

hqdefault.jpg

From past experiences, including 1997, this will not be resolved by August 1st. There will be an extension as the union will say we only have a few small differences to work out. It will be very difficult to force the union to strike. Probably won't be settled until October on November. Even then, probably not all supplements in some locals may not be resolved.

God bless retiree's.

Nothing better to do.... than try and live in 1997.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

IMG_1892.GIF
So I’m new to the site, but have been following post for a while now. I’m just curious because I’ve seen quite a few people that love the current president. Which is fine, your decision. But how many genuinely believe that there is any chance he backs workers during a massive strike? Him & his party are anti-labor, and working to spread right-to-work laws to as many states as possible. For those who talk about “dems raising taxes again”. How many of us were even paying the top tax rate before, or now? My guess is that most of us currently pay between 12-24%, and previously paid 15-28%. I just don’t believe that a president who is backed by some of the most anti-labor, union busting advocates will have a change of heart because we go on strike. Pretending to be all about the working man, and woman publicly, while attempting to weaken unions behind the scenes doesn’t make it seem that he loves workers as much as he says on the mic.

bacha29

I'd believe you but @bbsam told me you were a single route contractor for FedEx ground and are always wrong.

Sorry it's just what I was told.
I'm only mentioned a few of many possible outcomes. In the meantime if Teamster membership were to strike and it's members failed to position their own personal finances in a way that could absorb a protracted strike and in the end have to go crawling back to UPS , well that too is a real possibility.