Cutting On Car Supervisors

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
I was at a block party tonight and was talking with a retired driver who had a relative that worked in a Northern Michigan center. She told him they recently got rid of most of their on car sups due to Orion. I told him we haven't seen that in our metro area centers. The Norhern area is alot more rural. Maybe Orion works better there. Anyone here of UPS cutting Supervisor positions due to Orion anywhere else?

JustDeliverIt

I was at a block party tonight and was talking with a retired driver who had a relative that worked in a Northern Michigan center. She told him they recently got rid of most of their on car sups due to Orion. I told him we haven't seen that in our metro area centers. The Norhern area is alot more rural. Maybe Orion works better there. Anyone here of UPS cutting Supervisor positions due to Orion anywhere else?

We had one retire in July I think it was and one was fired the next week. They scrambled to fill those two spots, doesn't sound like anything they are going to do here any time soon.

thecamel

Waiting to put the re in front of tired
Explains why our Orion is such a nightmare. On cars have to come in frequently to "save the day". That has always been a little theory of mine.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If they get rid of OCS then who will train the 22.4s and deliver routes when we don't have enough drivers? I'm not seeing layoffs here.

dudebro

Everyone understands that a key deliverable of this investment in technology is to handle more and more of the routine cases, so special cases can be handled by fewer and fewer management people.

No one currently in management is worried about it because all UPS has to do in a given year to reduce management by 10% is not promote anyone. We've always reduced by attrition, at least so far.

You can say it's evil, and maybe it is, but if THIS company doesn't do it, there are a bunch of others trying.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I'd be fine never seeing an on car sup again. They just slow me down in the middle of my pick up route, right before the deadline for the air drop, with their reviewing clearly made up safety observations (gotta put down something to improve on, hyuck hyuck). Or when they are doing a ride along, standing right in my way, talking on their phone while I'm trying to get out of the car. "How were we an hour over today? Durrr."

I only involve my sup in situations that I would get written up for deciding what to do on my own. I generally tell them what needs to be done, and if they are smart enough they agree. Otherwise I have to wait until it's too late for them to come up with a solution that wouldn't have worked anyway. Go bother someone who actually needs supervision.

source (1).gif

Everyone understands that a key deliverable of this investment in technology is to handle more and more of the routine cases, so special cases can be handled by fewer and fewer management people.

No one currently in management is worried about it because all UPS has to do in a given year to reduce management by 10% is not promote anyone. We've always reduced by attrition, at least so far.

You can say it's evil, and maybe it is, but if THIS company doesn't do it, there are a bunch of others trying.
Maybe more buyouts?

DumbTruckDriver

Allergic to cardboard.
We’ve had a huge influx of new drivers, and they’re all running Orion because they don’t know any better, leading to a ton of service failures. Orion is job security for our sups.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
50¢. They used to do that here but for some reason they quit doing it.
that lasted about a week here.. But it is not Orion who reduced the need, its telematics. They need one person there in the morning to tell everyone who sucked according to bs numbers the day before. Because telematics tells everything else.