Dark Brown Lies

J

jibbs

I haven't read (or even heard of) it but your post piqued my interest and ended up with me on:

http://darkbrownlies.com/

just trying to get a feel for the book. I think I'll be picking this up next time I wander by Books-a-Million (I really, really miss the Borders we used to have in my area :().

Have you read it, wefly?

weflyboxes

I haven't read (or even heard of) it but your post piqued my interest and ended up with me on:

http://darkbrownlies.com/

just trying to get a feel for the book. I think I'll be picking this up next time I wander by Books-a-Million (I really, really miss the Borders we used to have in my area :().

Have you read it, wefly?
I haven't read it yet but I've been thinking about it. I'm a 20 year UPS retiree.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I haven't read the book but the reviews says its all true. as a women I had many instances of sexual harassment for many years until I got to be a tough beech ( hence my name )

I used to be a nice person until I started working here. it was either get tough or perish . that is really not a good thing because the harassment and their methods were and still are unethical.

there is a right way and a wrong way for a company to run a business and the way they treat their people and this company uses the wrong way more often than not. can you just imagine how profitable this company would be if they treated employees well???

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I listened to a clip she recorded of her talking to a manager and a union steward and honestly I think she might have a victim complex. Her supervisor ask her if she is refusing to sign, and she goes to management and says she felt threatened. I'm not saying sexual harassment doesn't happen, or harassment but I have a feeling this woman might be off her rocker. There were and are numerous ways to stop harassment at UPS. People who work at UPS tend to forget how other companies run. If she refused to sign something at another business then she could have been walked out the door. I don't know I need to read the book, but I have a feeling she might be the type who thought everyone was out to get her, and thinks that a supervisor doing his/her job is considered harassment.

Bren_dan

there is a right way and a wrong way for a company to run a business and the way they treat their people and this company uses the wrong way more often than not. can you just imagine how profitable this company would be if they treated employees well???

How do you mean that last part? In what way would happier employees lead to higher profits? I'm just curious. I always thought they did the bare minimum for us in terms of employee comfort and happiness because it saves them money. For instance, it would be nice to have fully functioning heaters in the warehouse, because I would be less miserable. But that would cost money. It would be nice to get an allowance for boots and gloves, but that would cost the company money.

Do you mean from like a legal standpoint it would save the company money?

On topic, the book seems interesting. I would prefer it was written by a driver who came up the ranks so I could relate more, but I'll probably read it still.

Bren_dan

I think she means a happy employee is typically more productive than his or her unhappy counterpart.

Perhaps that's true, it just seems like most of the actions I've seen taken by management, actions that might upset a package handler or driver, were geared towards improving numbers and saving money. But I agree, if there wasn't such a tension between management and union, better work would probably get done. Yet, we do work pretty damn hard as it is.

J

jibbs

I agree with you, Brendan, but your point and hers aren't mutually exclusive. I'm with the both of ya.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
How do you mean that last part? In what way would happier employees lead to higher profits? I'm just curious. I always thought they did the bare minimum for us in terms of employee comfort and happiness because it saves them money. For instance, it would be nice to have fully functioning heaters in the warehouse, because I would be less miserable. But that would cost money. It would be nice to get an allowance for boots and gloves, but that would cost the company money.

On topic, the book seems interesting. I would prefer it was written by a driver who came up the ranks so I could relate more, but I'll probably read it still.
its a proven fact that employees that like their employer are more productive. business 101.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
There is a right way and a wrong way for a company to run a business and the way they treat their people and this company uses the wrong way more often than not. can you just imagine how profitable this company would be if they treated employees well???

This company could do much better they way they treat the employees, not so grandiose as Google and such but there are things that would boost morale and productivity.

Brendan, it's been proven that when an employee is happy, they are more productive. When they are happy they are less likely to take sick days, which saves the company money by not paying two people to do one job. Happy employees are less likely to commit theft which saves the company money from shrinkage and loss and subsequent actions to investigate and recover losses. Happy employees are more apt to pay better attention which could reduce injuries and which would save money by having workers not out on comp or disability. Too many ways to list but you get the idea.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

I'm sorry but being a 30 year mechanic doesn't make you a pioneer. It makes you a 30 year mechanic. Very admirable, but nothing pioneering.