floridays

Cellphones
Cable TV
Netflix
Tattoos
WiFi
Starbucks coffee
X box

All expenses that didn’t really exist 50 years age. How much would one save without these?
All personal choice, and I don't disagree with you. I offered another component you haven't responded to, most likely you are UPS and still working under a collective bargaining agreement.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).
not another political thread??????

bbsam

Staff member
I stipulate that you are correct. What is your solution? Do you have a solution to offer or are you just rubbing noses? It is your chance to shine smart guy. Offer one possible solution to the current predicament. @bbsam . To be noted it is a hell of a lot more than 27 (your number) trillion dollars, have you heard of unfunded liabilities?
First let’s stipulate that the idea that tax cut pay for themselves and then some is complete bunk.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Is there such a place? Taxes are EVERYWHERE. State, local, sales, real estate, excise, environmental, permits, personal, not to mention payroll and income.
You're telling me you're not a yankee with high state and local taxes?

I'm pretty happy with the amount I pay in taxes. Doesn't really affect my spending or saving much. Sorry things are so tight financially for you, hope it gets better. Hang in there bud.

floridays

First let’s stipulate that the idea that tax cut pay for themselves and then some is complete bunk.
Do you understand what a stipulation is? You weren't agreeing with something I stated or alleged. Now, if you would like to argue the second part of your statement, I'm up for it.

floridays

I'm pretty happy with the amount I pay in taxes. Doesn't really affect my spending or saving much. Sorry things are so tight financially for you, hope it gets better. Hang in there bud.
Pride comes before the fall.......... smartass.

vantexan

That’s really not true in this discussion. You’re part of the generation that put us $27 trillion in the hole. Therefore you own a portion of that debt.
That's like saying if you're an American you're responsible for all the wars our government got us into. It's not everyone's fault in one generation. Following generations are just as likely to overspend, get in debt, get fat etc. It's just that eventually the piper has to be paid. So now you have younger generations pointing fingers because they can't now participate in the largesse that was available to Baby Boomers and their parents. You have to give acknowledgement that it's a different world now. No one is going to pay you union wages to make things they produce for much less in China and elsewhere. If they did you'd be very unhappy with the prices at the store. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Blaming a group because your group isn't doing well is no different than blaming Jews in Germany before WWII. I doubt you're going to round us all up but the concept is the same. Don't worry though, Bernie Sanders has all the tried and proven solutions that will make everyone equal and life will be great for your generation. I say that in jest but it looks like that's the direction we're going. He may be gone by then but it looks like enough college kids, our future leaders, buy into that.

Thanks, but finance are not tight. It’s the uncertainty going forward that is so terrible. Kinda puts my life on hold.

bbsam

Staff member
Do you understand what a stipulation is? You weren't agreeing with something I stated or alleged. Now, if you would like to argue the second part of your statement, I'm up for it.
There is nothing to argue. That’s the point of the stipulation.

If we don’t have common ground to start from, how do w accomplish anything.

bbsam

Staff member
That's like saying if you're an American you're responsible for all the wars our government got us into. It's not everyone's fault in one generation. Following generations are just as likely to overspend, get in debt, get fat etc. It's just that eventually the piper has to be paid. So now you have younger generations pointing fingers because they can't now participate in the largesse that was available to Baby Boomers and their parents. You have to give acknowledgement that it's a different world now. No one is going to pay you union wages to make things they produce for much less in China and elsewhere. If they did you'd be very unhappy with the prices at the store. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Blaming a group because your group isn't doing well is no different than blaming Jews in Germany before WWII. I doubt you're going to round us all up but the concept is the same. Don't worry though, Bernie Sanders has all the tried and proven solutions that will make everyone equal and life will be great for your generation. I say that in jest but it looks like that's the direction we're going. He may be gone by then but it looks like enough college kids, our future leaders, buy into that.
Hey it’s very simple.

I’ve listened to politicians talking endlessly about burdening future generations with debt...and then running up more debt.

Don’t care what party you point at. The leaders have lead poorly but that doesn’t change who owes the debt. It’s not your children’s inheritance you squandered. It’s your retirement savings.

The boomers were given everything. They took it, lived high on the hog and now have the nerve to talk down to younger generation.