Decline of the Middle Class

vantexan

Hey it’s very simple.

I’ve listened to politicians talking endlessly about burdening future generations with debt...and then running up more debt.

Don’t care what party you point at. The leaders have lead poorly but that doesn’t change who owes the debt. It’s not your children’s inheritance you squandered. It’s your retirement savings.

The boomers were given everything. They took it, lived high on the hog and now have the nerve to talk down to younger generation.
Some do. Plenty of poor boomers who scraped by all those years. But when you want to blame a whole group for your troubles you conveniently ignore that. Many boomers like myself started out in the middle class and were forced out of it by the companies we worked for. Blame the leadership, blame the corporate heads, but to say we're all responsible because we were born during a certain time frame is a gross mischaracterization.

vantexan

You don't have to defend yourself to that jackass Van.
There are people on here that must be met head on. Letting them have their say without challenging them gives a skewed view to other readers. But you're right, he's not worth the money I pay to post here.

bbsam

Staff member
Some do. Plenty of poor boomers who scraped by all those years. But when you want to blame a whole group for your troubles you conveniently ignore that. Many boomers like myself started out in the middle class and were forced out of it by the companies we worked for. Blame the leadership, blame the corporate heads, but to say we're all responsible because we were born during a certain time frame is a gross mischaracterization.
We live in a representative republic where leaders are held accountable. The voting public, the boomer generation, you van, are responsible. It is not a mischaracterization to say that future generations will have to pay for a generation that refused to “pay as you go”. The boomer generation ran up the credit card and wants to skip town.

El Correcto

god is dead
We live in a representative republic where leaders are held accountable. The voting public, the boomer generation, you van, are responsible. It is not a mischaracterization to say that future generations will have to pay for a generation that refused to “pay as you go”. The boomer generation ran up the credit card and wants to skip town.
Don’t worry bush and obama got us more credit cards. It’ll be fine, keep the debt train rolling. We need to spend more on education, healthcare, the military, infrastructure, Congress needs a raise, etc etc.

I like how you blame “pay as you go” instead of cutting spending. Makes it seem like the government should be taking more money, which they piss away in spectacular fashion.

bbsam

Staff member
Don’t worry bush and obama got us more credit cards. It’ll be fine, keep the debt train rolling. We need to spend more on education, healthcare, the military, infrastructure, Congress needs a raise, etc etc.

I like how you blame “pay as you go” instead of cutting spending. Makes it seem like the government should be taking more money, which they piss away in spectacular fashion.
“Pay as you go” covers cutting spending as well.

However, by definition, to reduce the debt, yes, the government should be taking more taxes. Or abolish Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare.

vantexan

“Pay as you go” covers cutting spending as well.

However, by definition, to reduce the debt, yes, the government should be taking more taxes. Or abolish Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare.
You'll be happy to take Social Security when your time comes. And why not, you've paid into all these years. Of course you're a businessman too, and you have to match your employees contributions. Interesting how the people who advocate ending SS the most are business owners.

vantexan

Why isn't your generation responsible too? You vote Democrat, and they're responsible for the bulk of the debt. The youngest boomers are 54. Seems your generation should be accountable too. And this is silly. There happens to be a lot more boomers. Pretty soon most will be out of the workforce and there will be plenty of jobs available. Even with automation. Probably why they're coming up with machines to do a lot of the work because there won't be enough workers. You at your age may be caught in between the same as many of us at Express got caught between top out and the most recent pay plan. You'll do ok with your business, but some will get screwed in the transition. That's life.

bbsam

Staff member
Why isn't your generation responsible too? You vote Democrat, and they're responsible for the bulk of the debt. The youngest boomers are 54. Seems your generation should be accountable too. And this is silly. There happens to be a lot more boomers. Pretty soon most will be out of the workforce and there will be plenty of jobs available. Even with automation. Probably why they're coming up with machines to do a lot of the work because there won't be enough workers. You at your age may be caught in between the same as many of us at Express got caught between top out and the most recent pay plan. You'll do ok with your business, but some will get screwed in the transition. That's life.
Abolish SS Medicare and Medicaid will affect my generation.

In fact, we were always told not to count on the safety nets bein there.

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Decline of the Middle Class" may mean that "we're movin' on up to the east side to a deluxe apartment in the sky...."

vantexan

Abolish SS Medicare and Medicaid will affect my generation.

In fact, we were always told not to count on the safety nets bein there.
Who's telling you that? Social Security Administration says trust fund will be exhausted around 2032 if nothing is done. After that weekly paycheck contributions plus employer match will pay 78% of promised benefit until about 2090. Plenty they can do to shore it up.

Serf

My perspective is: Deal on the table to only have 17k to my name in my late 50's but be in perfect health, with some semblance of muscle tone. Instead of an unhealthy boob w/ several hundred thousand and no muscle tone whatsoever. I take the perfect health everyday & twice on Sunday.
If you really want to blame someone for the decline of the middle class, it would be easy to shift blame on the Uni-Party. Neo liberals are Dems & Repubs. One focuses on social issues, the other free markets. Both want to replace you with cheap labor & cheap votes. Great men don't come around that often.

bbsam

Staff member
Who's telling you that? Social Security Administration says trust fund will be exhausted around 2032 if nothing is done. After that weekly paycheck contributions plus employer match will pay 78% of promised benefit until about 2090. Plenty they can do to shore it up.
There’s the tax money then. That’s the “pay down the debt” fund.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Only 50K, I'd think that is a minimum for most degreed, with student loan debt.
IMG_20180512_115753309.jpg

My son graduated yesterday with NO student loan debt.

rickyb

I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).
both have done a great job of destroying it. plus we let a few number of people in big corporations make all the decisions in the economy. they also happen to be the ones with all the wealth. correlation?

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Nice, great job..... But, no employers wants a degree from a big 10 school. :wink2:

Go dawgs
View attachment 193204

In all seriousness, you should be so proud.
Thanks! One proud dad yesterday! Next a year of grad school before the real world.

One of my son's best friends from high school / UW who also graduated yesterday hopes to attend Washington for medical school. At least he got a great start in the Big10! :rolleyes: