Decline of the Middle Class

rod

Retired 22 years
I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).

I'd like to have a dollar for every kid that graduated with a 4 year degree and 50k in student loan debt and don't work in the field they majored (or minored) in. Stupid -stupid-stupid

floridays

I'd like to have a dollar for every kid that graduated with a 4 year degree and 50k in student loan debt and don't work in the field they majored (or minored) in. Stupid -stupid-stupid
Only 50K, I'd think that is a minimum for most degreed, with student loan debt.

Indecisi0n

I read today that half of all people between the ages of 56 and 61 have less than $17,000 saved for retirement. In your opinion, which political party is more responsible (arguments must be supported by factual data). This is a serious thread (no trolling please).
Obama

rod

Retired 22 years
Only 50K, I'd think that is a minimum for most degreed, with student loan debt.

Ok--I'm out of touch with reality. All I know is I have friends who talk about how much their kids (or grandkids) owe in student loans and it floors me to think a person has to start out adult life with that much debt just to get a degree in some useless subject.

floridays

Ok--I'm out of touch with reality. All I know is I have friends who talk about how much their kids (or grandkids) owe in student loans and it floors me to think a person has to start out adult life with that much debt just to get a degree in some useless subject.
Senseless unless the degree is in STEM. WTF do I know though. I majored in gender studies.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
That's like saying if you're an American you're responsible for all the wars our government got us into. It's not everyone's fault in one generation. Following generations are just as likely to overspend, get in debt, get fat etc. It's just that eventually the piper has to be paid. So now you have younger generations pointing fingers because they can't now participate in the largesse that was available to Baby Boomers and their parents. You have to give acknowledgement that it's a different world now. No one is going to pay you union wages to make things they produce for much less in China and elsewhere. If they did you'd be very unhappy with the prices at the store. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Blaming a group because your group isn't doing well is no different than blaming Jews in Germany before WWII. I doubt you're going to round us all up but the concept is the same. Don't worry though, Bernie Sanders has all the tried and proven solutions that will make everyone equal and life will be great for your generation. I say that in jest but it looks like that's the direction we're going. He may be gone by then but it looks like enough college kids, our future leaders, buy into that.
You keep saying "we".
You don't even live in America bro.
Your opinion is worthless.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
It amazes me what some people think is useless.

rod

Retired 22 years
It amazes me what some people think is useless.

So you think being in debt right out of the box for 50k with a degree you probably will never use is good? I bet every car salesman in my town has a 4 year degree in some useless subject. I have no facts but I bet 3/4 of all people who graduate college end up in a job that has nothing to do with what they majored in (99 out of a 100 if you count a liberal arts degree)

floridays

So you think being in debt right out of the box for 50k with a degree you probably will never use is good? I bet every car salesman in my town has a 4 year degree in some useless subject. I have no facts but I bet 3/4 of all people who graduate college end up in a job that has nothing to do with what they majored in (99 out of a 100 if you count a liberal arts degree)
You're an old man and you are a smart one as well.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I think debt is a problem.
The borrower is slave to the lender.

Thing is, I hear people say certain degrees are useless cause they don't make a lot of money. Teachers don't make a lot of money. Are teachers useless? It's a societal problem, and there's an important conversation here that no one really wants to have.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I like your avatar. Nice of you to think of your President
The new season of AHS is great you should check it out. It's pretty funny in a lot of ways, hits hard on dims and repugs. Probably my least favorite season but still better than the majority of the garbage on TV.

rod

Retired 22 years

Thing is, I hear people say certain degrees are useless cause they don't make a lot of money. Teachers don't make a lot of money. Are teachers useless? It's a societal problem, and there's an important conversation here that no one really wants to have.

You need to donate your brain to science after you die. Somewhere in it there is something wired wrong. I'm not saying your post is wrong- I'm just saying how the friend did you turn my comment into that mumbo jumbo?

rod

Retired 22 years
The new season of AHS is great you should check it out. It's pretty funny in a lot of ways, hits hard on dims and repugs. Probably my least favorite season but still better than the majority of the garbage on TV.

There isn't a whole lot on tv that interests me anymore

floridays

It's a conservation you wouldn't like to have with a person who thinks as I do. There will never be a meeting of the minds.