Deferred Delivery Coming

PACNW

A center in our area was notified yesterday that starting Monday they are implementing a deferred delivery program. Everything is being run by a corporate IE team that showed up one day. Sounds like 20%, or so of the routes are affected and will only go out 3 days per week. Of course these are the routes that have the highest seniority drivers now displaced 2 days per week. There is one center in Washington and one in NY going live on Monday with expansion across the country to follow.

PACNW

That's the same response I got when I posted that a Saturday ground pilot program was being implemented in Portland several years ago with plans to expand across the country. Feel free to go back and check that post. Nobody believed it would happen.

These drivers are understandably livid.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
That's the same response I got when I posted that a Saturday ground pilot program was being implemented in Portland several years ago with plans to expand across the country. Feel free to go back and check that post. Nobody believed it would happen.

Umm.... Ok.

About what ?

They exercise their seniority and bump junior people. They get their guaranteed hours. Right ?

PACNW

Yes, of course they can do that. I didn't say they are getting laid off. That's little consolation for a 25+ year driver that has done their time and finally got a cushy rural route, and now only gets to run it 3 days per week. It was a 5 day a week route at the time of the bid.

You can't understand why a guy might be upset about that?

Yes, of course they can do that. I didn't say they are getting laid off. That's little consolation for a 25+ year driver that has done their time and finally got a cushy rural route, and now only gets to run it 3 days per week. It was a 5 day a week route at the time of the bid.

What do they do the other 2 days?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I can absolutely understand that. It sucks.

There's the way it should be.... and there's the way it is.

That's why there is contract language to protect the member in these types of situations.

The Union can't dictate to the company how to run their business....but, can instill safeguards.

PACNW

They will have to bump lower seniority guys.
What do they do the other 2 days?
They will have to bump lower seniority guys. The IE group didn't have a lot of answers to the driver questions at the PCM yesterday. They acknowledged that there are going to be some hiccups, like priority air medical packages that will still need to be delivered to those areas. They said solutions to those things are still being worked out.

Doesn't sound like it's very well thought out and could be a disaster. They did something like this a little over 20 years ago and it didn't last. I'm not claiming that I'm an expert or have all the details, just relaying to the forum that this is happening near me and at the PCM the corporate IE folks gave, the intent is to expand it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
First of all, the company gets a Fred Berry Award if they bring back this failed business model of yesteryear...

upload_2016-10-27_18-46-52-png.102363

Secondly, the union, utilizing social media, could quickly and effectively create a public relations campaign against remote delivery. Hide behind a citizen action group that you create or hire.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Portland lolol. I wonder if the peaceful protesters take the weekend off from stabbing people

What'dyabringmetoday???

You don't actually think that he cares do you?

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
First of all, the company gets a Fred Berry Award if they bring back this failed business model of yesteryear...

upload_2016-10-27_18-46-52-png.102363

Secondly, the union, utilizing social media, could quickly and effectively create a public relations campaign against remote delivery. Hide behind a citizen action group that you create or hire.
Love it!

One day at a time

They will have to bump lower seniority guys.

They will have to bump lower seniority guys. The IE group didn't have a lot of answers to the driver questions at the PCM yesterday. They acknowledged that there are going to be some hiccups, like priority air medical packages that will still need to be delivered to those areas. They said solutions to those things are still being worked out.

Doesn't sound like it's very well thought out and could be a disaster. They did something like this a little over 20 years ago and it didn't last. I'm not claiming that I'm an expert or have all the details, just relaying to the forum that this is happening near me and at the PCM the corporate IE folks gave, the intent is to expand it.
Are these the same guys who gave us Orion and the disaster diad 6?

Frozen

We’ve been told it’s coming to centers in South and North Dakota in April, management said they would defer whole zip codes, routes with under a certain amount of pkgs and other technicalities I can’t remember… also routes couldn’t be cut on Monday’s and also no more than 2 days a week. What a joke