Delivering during lunch break?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I would if it were a reasonable person, and if it saved me time. Or kept me from having to go to a part of town I would rather not. A sdn would work, with the find bar code feature, if it needed a sig. Unless it was adult only required in person. Then they would have to wait, if I could not turn my board on.
To each their own. Now if I am making a rare phone call, yes they would wait.
But usually I am just planning the Quickest way to get out of my browns.

tourists24

Don't forget our jobs are based on the customer , a happy customer is a paycheck

Its good to hear guys like you still feel this way.... I don't anymore.... Nowadays our jobs are all about memorizing DOK and maintaining a high SPORH... oh and answering to report discrepancies....

Indecisi0n

I would if it were a reasonable person, and if it saved me time. Or kept me from having to go to a part of town I would rather not. A sdn would work, with the find bar code feature, if it needed a sig. Unless it was adult only required in person. Then they would have to wait, if I could not turn my board on.
To each their own. Now if I am making a rare phone call, yes they would wait.
But usually I am just planning the Quickest way to get out of my browns.

How do you use a SDN for a signature required package? You sign the screen?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Here's what I'm having trouble with:

You (a shop steward) think it's OK for Soberups to disregard the contract, while at the same time calling another member who wants to follow the contract an :censored2:.

I am not calling someone an :censored2: because they "want to follow the contract".

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they would make a disabled veteran stand there in the rain...or limp back to his car and wait....for the 12 minutes left on their break instead of just doing the right thing and giving that customer their package.

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they are so hell-bent on a rigid, narrow and flawed interpretation of the contract language that they are incapable of applying that language with any human compassion or common sense.

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they are incapable of differentiating between standing up to an abusive management person and taking care of an ordinary customer who just needs a package of medication and has the bad luck of encountering the driver during their break.

You know what? As a steward, I would vigorously defend that employees right to an uninterrupted lunch if management attempted to discipline them in any way for refusing to deliver the package on their lunch or break. I would quote the relevant contract language. I would help that employee file a grievance if one was necessary. I would do everything within my power to ensure that the employees rights under the contract were protected. After that...having fullfilled my obligation as a steward....once we were off of the clock and out of the building, I would take my shop steward hat off and put my human being hat on and politely inform the employee that, in my personal opinion, he was being an :censored2:.

over9five

Staff member
I am not calling someone an :censored2: because they "want to follow the contract".

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they would make a disabled veteran stand there in the rain...or limp back to his car and wait....for the 12 minutes left on their break instead of just doing the right thing and giving that customer their package.

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they are so hell-bent on a rigid, narrow and flawed interpretation of the contract language that they are incapable of applying that language with any human compassion or common sense.

I'm calling someone an :censored2: because they are incapable of differentiating between standing up to an abusive management person and taking care of an ordinary customer who just needs a package of medication and has the bad luck of encountering the driver during their break.

You know what? As a steward, I would vigorously defend that employees right to an uninterrupted lunch if management attempted to discipline them in any way for refusing to deliver the package on their lunch or break. I would quote the relevant contract language. I would help that employee file a grievance if one was necessary. I would do everything within my power to ensure that the employees rights under the contract were protected. After that...having fullfilled my obligation as a steward....once we were off of the clock and out of the building, I would take my shop steward hat off and put my human being hat on and politely inform the employee that, in my personal opinion, he was being an :censored2:.

OK, let's stop the drama queen disabled veteran BS. Do you do the same for everybody?

You know, I can guarantee you that your management team is using your breaking the contract (for yourself) against the other drivers who want to follow the contract:

"SOBERUPS will deliver during his lunch, why won't you??"

"SOBERUPS will break the contract to help us out, why won't you??"

Who cares about your personal opinion. You're a steward, you're there to uphold the contract.
If your personal issues are getting in the way of that, it's time to pass the torch.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Im assuming you guys that don't want to be bothered during lunch leave a business when you notice someone eating and reattempt later. Or are you the rude people that still ask for a signature?
According to UPS every business we deliver to takes lunch between 12-1 so we don't have that problem.

Just shut your mouth and falsify records as directed!

I kind of had it out with the OMS last week. I walk into a stop at 12:39. Customer had a COD, which I collected on, and a call-tag which she told me that she wouldn't have pkg ready for until the following day so I sheet it as NR1 and move on.

At 3:30 here comes the message: "can you void c/t for 51 xxxxxx street, re-sheet as NR?. Cant sheet tags as NR1" between 12-1.

I replied "no" (because this was merely asking me rather than telling me - big difference here) with "not willing to voluntarily falsify a company record".

A few mins later the message came telling me to do it, to which I snapped a picture of with my phone and then worked as directed.

UPS is clearly a one-size-fits-all with their ridiculous rules as it regards to customers out to lunch.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I've never had a signature required in the DIAD (not a signature required sticker on the box)that accepted a SDN.
The ones the center designates as sig required can be released by a sdn. I am not sure of the number after the shipper, I know 35 and 42 cannot be.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Just shut your mouth and falsify records as directed!

I kind of had it out with the OMS last week. I walk into a stop at 12:39. Customer had a COD, which I collected on, and a call-tag which she told me that she wouldn't have pkg ready for until the following day so I sheet it as NR1 and move on.

At 3:30 here comes the message: "can you void c/t for 51 xxxxxx street, re-sheet as NR?. Cant sheet tags as NR1" between 12-1.

I replied "no" (because this was merely asking me rather than telling me - big difference here) with "not willing to voluntarily falsify a company record".

A few mins later the message came telling me to do it, to which I snapped a picture of with my phone and then worked as directed.

UPS is clearly a one-size-fits-all with their ridiculous rules as it regards to customers out to lunch.

You made contact with a customer, collected a COD, and got gigged for a NR1 call tag?

Damn, I'm glad I'm outta there! That is ridiculous.

oldngray

nowhere special
You can sheet call tags as NR1 between 12-1. NR indicates you made contact with the customer and it wasn't ready. Similar to NM1 for a COD. You can't sheet as CLO1 (NI should be residential so time shouldn't matter anyway) between 12-1 because that indicated closed at lunch time. Stupid rule. Few of my businesses took lunch from 12-1 but the geniuses in IE decided that was the LAW so you need to follow it no matter how stupid it is.

laffter

I feel like the phrase "falsifying records" implies intent. You intentionally did something with the purpose of being dishonest.

If you perform an action in an attempt to do your job, which results in an inaccurate record, that is rather different.

UPS may not see a difference, however, if they're out to get you or need to throw someone under the bus.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

A couple of years ago I was instructed to falsify a delivery record. I had a Next Day Air misload for a business in a town 40 miles away. I found it late in the day, no possible way to get there before they closed, so I recorded it as "missed." The office sent me a message instructing me to void it and re scan it as "no such number". I responded by saying no, thats dishonest, I wont do it. Got a message back saying I was being given a direct instruction to record as NSN. I responded once again by saying no. After the 3rd or 4th exchange, I got pissed and told them to go ahead and fire me, but I wasnt going to falsify a delivery record. Got back to the building that night and faxed in an Art 37 grievance (being instructed to falsify records constitutes harassment and coercion) to the local union hall, and the next day I got an apology from the center manager for instructing me to lie. He wound up getting fired a few months later for dishonesty involving some other situation. I am still here.