dependent benefits

upsczar

I am in Southern CA. Next summer I am eligible to retire under the peer 80 plan. Will my wife lose her health care insurance when i draw from social security? Thank you.

rod

Retired 22 years
I am in Southern CA. Next summer I am eligible to retire under the peer 80 plan. Will my wife lose her health care insurance when i draw from social security? Thank you.

YES---keep her working at a job with health benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You would think that there would be an office staffed with competent personnel willing and able to answer this and any other questions that you may have regarding your upcoming retirement.

upsczar

You would think that there would be an office staffed with competent personnel willing and able to answer this and any other questions that you may have regarding your upcoming retirement.

One can only hope. I have asked several local members including BA and have gotten several answers. Thank you.

rod

Retired 22 years
She won't be happy about that. Does that also mean that if i have any dependents under 26 years of age they too will lose their health care?

Actually they won't lose their insurance until you reach Medicare age--65. Then every family member loses their Teamster insurance--including you. If you are taking early SS (62 and a half I believe it is now) you still are covered until you reach 65. As usual these dates are subject to change.

Pismo Bill

Actually they won't lose their insurance until you reach Medicare age--65. Then every family member loses their Teamster insurance--including you. If you are taking early SS (62 and a half I believe it is now) you still are covered until you reach 65. As usual these dates are subject to change.
not in the west (so cal), i retired in 09 still under ups health plan. when medicare kicks in our health plan becomes secondary. my wife remains on the plan the rest of her life.

upsczar

am also so ca retiree your wife will have our health care the rest of her life

I hope your not being sarcastic.

upsczar

not in the west (so cal), i retired in 09 still under ups health plan. when medicare kicks in our health plan becomes secondary. my wife remains on the plan the rest of her life.

As i understand it we in the west (so cal) are no longer in the ups plan. We are now under the enhanced team care plan. I will have to look into it further.

upsczar

I wonder if that's true nation wide. Or maybe is particular to your region only.

By The Book

I don't think so. You will be covered until you turn 65., and as a dependent on your insurance she will also. Once your 65 you and your wife will not be covered on your insurance. If you draw SS at 62 this should not affect your insurance until you turn 65. If your daughter is under 26 when you go on retiree healthcare she may not be covered unless she's a full time student.

Pismo Bill

I don't think so. You will be covered until you turn 65., and as a dependent on your insurance she will also. Once your 65 you and your wife will not be covered on your insurance. If you draw SS at 62 this should not affect your insurance until you turn 65. If your daughter is under 26 when you go on retiree healthcare she may not be covered unless she's a full time student.
yes sorry i retired in 09 still under ups plan. do not know the rules of teamcare.

By The Book

yes sorry i retired in 09 still under ups plan. do not know the rules of teamcare.
Whatever retiree health plan you and your family had when you retired will stay the same unless they've changed it. You would have received something in the mail saying there was a change. Did you retire as a part time employee? That could explain the UPS plan/team care you mentioned.