DIAD IV

J

jackvette

Wkmac,

As usual, you're right on...

The information in the DIAD is displayed in the planned delivery order. Its not necessarily loop order. The default is loop order, but the sup and driver can change that based on how they feel the best order should be.

It shows all addresses, number of packages to deliver, the commit time of the packages, any special handling needed like COD, Signature, etc.

The driver can scroll the list and choose where to go next. They are not forced into a single choice.

By the way, 20% less keystrokes too. No more keying addresses. Scan a package and the address is filled out.

Maps and driving directions will be coming, but probably 3 years out.

Next step will be use of GPS. It will tell the driver if a package is being delivered to the wrong address.

The new DIAD has 20 times the memory of the last one. We'll use it.

Jack

J

jackvette

Danny,

That's the beauty and risk with PAS.

Rather than worrying about knowledge, sups should spend more time training on methods, safety, and employee relations.

One building moved all their loaders into new positions and didn't miss a beat. As you said an inconsistent load can ruin your day.

Jack

S

sendagain

One of the difficulties I see coming is that the computer will list your packages, but that doesn't mean all the packages will be there. If the loader carries the wrong package into another car, then you have a parcel missing from the information in your computer. If you have a stop of 50 packages mixed into a commercial building with scores of other packages, how will you discover the package that isn't there? You will tear apart your load trying to find 1 package that might be on the route next to you. This would cause horrible delays. I have walked into my truck and discovered 5 bad parcels in one morning. When the new diad comes out, these packages will be missing; all of which must be found if we are to complete a delivery. I haven't seen the new diad, but how do I search for a needle in a haystack. Also, some deliveries require multiple trips back and forth. All the while when you are going back to the truck, people can be moving or taking packages away from where they were set, making it impossible to discover a missing package. Was it removed from their mail room, or was it ever in the car to begin with?

D

dannyboy

OK, so tell me. I have my last air stop that is also my first bulk stop. 200 packages or so each day. All packages that are over 50 pounds get unloaded at one dock, then I move to the other side of the building to unload the others. Most days I have to switch docks several times to put the packages where they need to go. Also, the NDA are delivered to the dock, but the Express clerks have to sign for them. Then there are the contractors that have to sign for their own packages. Then add to that the NDA for the corp office are split, Letters go to the corp mail room 2 miles down the road, and all the rest for them is delivered to the main rec. dock. So there are days that there are as many as 10-12 stops at the Eastman. It is confusing enough if you know what you are doing. For someone that doesnt......well you see what I mean. While my loader is great, keeping the contractors etc. separate might be a bit much.

d

P

proups

There will be some bugs to work out once PAS is installed nationwide, but from what I have read and heard about it, every preloader will be more efficient and our service will improve greatly.

The new DIAD will enhance our service. There will be problems with some stops, as Dannyboy describes with Eastman, but the positives outweigh the negatives by far.

IMHO, I envision UPS in the next three to five years being a company that provides perfect, 100% on-time service to our customers. With the technology that I have read about, loaders won't have misloads in either the hubs or preloads, and a driver's day will be planned out in the DIAD board for them. All of these jobs will have the guess-work taken away, and will benefit all of us.

Pretty awesome stuff!

D

dannyboy

Sounds Good to me! I allways welcome ideas that make my day better, and improves service to the customer!

d

S

steamheat

"and a driver's day will be planned out in the DIAD board for them"

Is this new system going to properly line up the 8 -10 NDA rural routes that constantly vary on a day to day basis and can account for 80 - 100 miles of travel before you really begin your route.
wink4.gif

D

dannyboy

And with all the technology, in 15 years they wont need live drivers either
grin.gif
, so who's gonna pay into my retirement???

That has been one of the better things about this job, getting to know how to shave corners off your paid day without shaving the service to the customer. I hope with all the thought that has gone into this system, that it still will leave some discretion to the driver on how to do the job more efficiently, and not leave all thinking done on this job to someone behind a desk
wigglebrow.gif

I could see how that would cut out managemnent training new drivers, no need now, just send them out on their own.

d

J

jackvette

Danny,

The intent is to give you flexibility but also to aid you with decision making.

Don't you think you could make better decisions if you knew exactly how many committed packages you have on car, their address, and where in the car they are loaded?

How about also knowing if you have ground packages for the same address. I would bet you could make better decisions that BOTH improve productivity and service.

If you knew you had 4 packages for an address, you would not have to keep looking for a 5th.

How about if the system told you that you were delivering a package to the wrong address? Would that not improve service?

So far, all these things have been witnessed. UPS drivers are the highest regarded area in UPS. Giving the customers exact information when you pull up will improve your professionalism in their eyes.

I think you will like the new system. So far, all the employees do.

Jack

D

dannyboy

hehehehe.....Jack

I know EXACTLY how many commited packages there are on my package car each morning. Excepting Eastmans, they are all in the cab as ther is no room anywhere else. I also have so many, and so many miles that I never have time to deliver ground as I go, and there are many that I do go back for later on in the day. The one exception to that is AFG glass. If by some miracle I have 3 extra minutes to spare, I deliver them as I go. They are loaded right infront of the bulkhead door. ANd if I dont, they are the first delivery after Eastman. I also know all the NDA cod's that I have and call the customer enroute so it will be waiting on me.

My loader loads so well I never look past the next package on the shelf.

I havent misdelivered a package in 6 years.

So while I might like it, I dont see how it will help me all that much.

Now if it could have warned me today to keep my fingers out of the chainsaw, that would have been nice
wacky.gif

d

C

clarkie

A stop for stop loader? Damm, it makes my day when my loader doesn't throw an off area misload on me...

D

dannyboy

Clarkie, I couldnt load it as well as he does. It has helped that he went into delivery, and didnt like it, so went back. Their loss, my gain. And even with al the territory that I cover for air, never loose a package off the shelves. And its every day that way. The only drawback is that he cant count past 50.
wall.gif

d

J

jackvette

Danny,

I guess you don't need the system.

By the way, I analyzed routes for 1,400 drivers and you are certainly an exception.

Jack

D

dannyboy

Would be pleased for you to ride with me. We might both learn something
cheers.gif
. I have allways prided/prodded myself in being the best I can be. And having a loader that is as good as Richie, well that just makes my job what it should be. LAst week he was recognised for his 25th year. I would rather go back to the old P1000, no power steering, 1st step 8 inches further off the ground, no room in the cab, than to loose Richie.

d I take him breakfast at least twice a week during the year, and every day in November and December.