DIAD IV

J

jackvette

Again, Wkmac you're right....

New scanners should be in all buildings by the end of 2004. Its called UPScan.

Initially, it won't tell you if you're misloading. The problem is linking the destination zip code with the load and package. A much larger effort than it seems.

Its being worked on however....

Jack

T

trouble1903

How does the customer sign? Please dont tell me
we have to carry it!! I lose my ink pen all the time.

J

jackvette

Trouble,

The customer signs on the screen, the same as the DIAD III. If you're asking where the stylus goes, there is a slot that it slides into.

Its similar to how a PDA holds a stylus.

Jack

W

wkmac

Prt-time,
First off, what I'm saying is strictly my own opinion and nothing more. I'm in no way connected to the decision process on how UPS does anything. Probably a good thing to because I'd screw it up and we'd all be out of work. LOL! Also what I'm saying is one potential picture of the future. The real future may be far, far different and in all probablity it will be.

The sortation process is one part of it but also data gathering for tracking purposes. Instead of loader having to scan a package the embedded label with RF device would signal a transponder upon entry into a trailer or the diversion by say a diverter into a trailer may signal the linking of the package. The nice part about this is the loader would only have to load rather than scan also. The system could also be built to check for misloads and therefore the only thing the loader would have to do is load. No scanning, no checking every package only loading.

Another interesting aspect of information is the ability to track inventory levels for companies and also track various raw materials and commodities as they are use to manufacture, build, service, etc. so we can position ourselves to help companies literally increase their bottomlines with more profit. Just in time supply chain literally means just in time at all levels. Why have capital tied up in inventory that's sitting there when you can put that money to work elsewhere and buy the widgets and have them there the moment you need them. This process can lead to more earnigns and as the commercial sez, "you do remember profits don't you?" That statement is far deeper than a little catch phrase for a commercial.

There is a central question concerning technology and that is, does it eliminate jobs? Yes, this is very true for those unwilling to change. However for those willing to adapt to change this is not the case. As time goes on we will probably see more and more technology introduced into the workplace and some jobs that are present now will no longer be needed but technology will also require different jobs to be created to meet it's own demands. Look at Worldport for example. Very heavy on the latest technolgy but it also employs 1000's of workers of which part timers are a big part of so the theory of technology eliminating jobs is not always true. Also hourlies are not the only one threatened by technology, management is as well. For starters, less hourlies mean less management also but some levels of management are nothing more than information coordinators for the upper levels of management and technology handles this and in many cases in real time. Technology in some situations can even make decisions with certain parmeters and criteria built in and thus eliminate the need for the management structure. This is only my opinion but of what I've learned of PAS (enough to be dangerous) it has the potential to head in the direction if not achieve that very thing over time. Management won't decide what get's dispatched, a computer program will based on the real need of the business. No more guess work, no more emotions involved just pure logic. Good morning drivers. I'd like you to meet your new manager, Mr Spock! LOL! So you see this is not by any means a one way street here.

Nobody likes change including me but the reality is all of us should try to look ahead and prepare as best we can for change. You spoke of the union who for most of it's years has been there for the trucking industry. Look carefully at where the union is going as far as organizing is concerned. Some trucklines yes but airlines, police officers, etc. so even the union is adapting to change. Look deeper at this move to diversify and you may also see a hint of the future of the trucking industry also. Oh yes, it's only a matter of time before the need for a driver (tractor trailer) is eliminated and technology takes over. Anytime soon? Who knows because technology changes on a daily basis and the breakthrough for this could be today, tomorrow or 50 years from now but it will happen. If we're prepared for change then when it happens it can be exciting and loaded with more opportunities than we ever imagined but if not we're in for a very rough time.

O

over9five

"I plan on becoming a part-time supervisor "
PLUS
"a lot of my friends "

No, too easy........... !

R

rushfan

When this PAS system is online, my question is what if the preloader is "sleep loading". Hey I was a preloader and "slept loaded" at times. Will the scanners have something to wake up the preloader to alert them that they are loading the package in the wrong car.

Hey, as I said, I was a preloader.

R

rushfan

Hey prt-time. Have fun doing more work, and not getting paid as you should for it.

J

jackvette

Wkmac,

You're pretty close....

Rushfan,

no..... good news is that the job gets a lot easier....

They have shown to load at 99.5% accuracy with PAS. Still working that last 1/2%

Jack

U

ups_vette

rushfan:
Damm....it was you who loaded my car when i drove. Thanks for all the overtime your loading gave me with your "sleep loading".

C

clarkie

question...how far off are we from the time when all packages in the system have a 'smart label' and the preload knows what the stop count on each truck is going to be before they even start?

T

trouble1903

We are getting the PAS system sometime this summer and I cant wait!!! Any thing has to be an improvement over what they are trying to make preload do, and what is given to us in the morning.

R

rushfan

When I want the overtime, the preloader doesn't sleep load. When I need to be off early, well they sleep load.

B

brownmonster

Hey Rushfan
Wev'e taken care of everthing
The words you read
The songs you sing
The pictures that give pleasure to your eye
One for all and all for one
Work together common sons
Never need to wonder how or why

J

jackvette

Clarkie,

The PAS system does what you say. A label is put on the package telling the preloader which car and where in the car it goes. It also counts stops and loads the DIAD with all the information.

Trouble,

Which building are you in?

Jack

S

sendagain

I've been on the new system for over 6 months. Some problems are when the person scanning the box puts the routing label onto the wrong package, also the loader sometimes carries the parcel into the wrong vehicle. Once he gets into the truck, it gets loaded onto the designated shelf and is not found until the driver comes across it. Other problems are bad addresses which get loaded into the trucks and are not found until you are out on the road. Also, if the system goes down, no preloader can load any packages at all. This has fortunately only occured once for about half an hour.

J

jackvette

Sendagain,

You must be in Eugene?

Luckily, the system fails rarely... But even if its 99.9% up, that means 1 - 2 centers a day will have a problem.

The problems with putting labels on the wrong package or putting a package into the wrong car happens about .5% of the time. (99.5% is okay) That's still package a day per car unfortunately.

Hopefully, you'll admit its much better than a manual preload. There are no silver bullets, but shortly (within a month) you'll load the DIAD with the info and things will get even better.

Do you agree?

Jack

D

dannyboy

But then if you had a loader like I do..... two missloads in three years, every package face up or forward, all NDA in cab, except for Eastman. All hazmat in pouch, all packages lip loaded. So getting the packages on the right car is nice, but there is a lot more to loading a car than that. I could see where training a new loader would benifit, as when my loader is off, you can bet I and the other two that he loads will have an extra hour added to the day.

d

W

wkmac

jackvette,
Does or will the DIAD bring up the packages in loop order for the driver to deliver or does the driver just operate from his/her skills and knowledge and take the delivery path they believe to be the best?

How long before embedded mapping info gives directions?

The uses in the future regarding technology is only as endless as the imagination!