DIAD V Revealed

pretzel_man

Hang on a sec now ,why not?
I WANT A CAMAWA waaaaaaaaaaaaaa

OK I can live without it....I like what I see
Hey pretz ,one question,is the sig pad still upside down?
or a key to switch it either way?
also my best choice for the sig button would be the triangle
depending of course if the screen was upside down

I asked that question, but I'm not 100% sure I remember the answer. I beleive they told me its still upside down with the thought the driver maintains contol of the device. Since its easily held in one hand, it may be reasonable....

p-Man

DiadDude

OK, Let's see if I can hit the highlights.

I hope those buttons illuminate in the dark...

Signature button is still in the wrong spot.

Not heavy enough to put a dog down.

Wonder if the fat fingers will hit the right function at the bottom of the touch screen.

Otherwise looks very nice.

Sig Button - I don't know for sure if this is the final keyboard, but I can tell you that the weight and shape of the device makes it that the customer will not hold it near the keyboard. D4, your hand naturally falls right where the sig is. Not so for the D5.

Needs qwerty

This one always comes up, but no one ever thinks about how small it will make the keys. If you have a QWERTY keyboard, you MUST have 10 keys across. Look at that device and do a little thinking about what the keys would look like if there were 10 per row. If you can make a QWERTY keyboard on a device that narrow that is actually uasble, you sir are a better man than I.

I think DIAD IV is going on 5 or 6 years old. And I think I remember DIADdude saying that the warranties are about to expire. Or something like that.

DIAD 4 was introduced in 2003. It is now 7 years old, and yes they are going out of warranty, and we are no longer able to purchase some parts for the D4.

I heard that DIAD6 will have a secret button that will activate an ultrahigh frequency soundwave that can't be heard by humans that will temporarily incapaciatate a dog. It's called the "down boy" button.

Some group actually asked for us to include a device similar to the "Dazer" in the DIAD 5. It was investigated and ultimately rejected.

Will the font on the screen be reduced even further since it's smaller? I already can't see the one we have now.

The font on the DIAD 5 is taller and narrower than the DIAD 4 font. The DIAD 5 display is also higher resolution than the D4. There are actually 4 times as many pixels on the screen for D5 than D4. Most people have been very pleased with the display on the D5.

Is the lightning bolt key a Taser?

Not a taser, but a way to access some other functions within the device. The plan is to have certain functionality which is not easily accessible in the D4 to be placed on a menu that you access with the lightning bolt key.

Did anyone know that you can use space and 'Z' on the D4 to see more info on your EDD view? Instead of that functionality being in a non-obvious place like it is on the D4, it will likely be on a menu in the D5.

It's likely that the keylight functionality will also be on that menu, as well as one other function alot of you guys asked for. :smart:

spif91

Im really not trying to sound "obvious" but its the one with the hand holding the pen :smart:

Thanks but reading BC on my iPhone at 2 in the morning at the hub waiting on my triples it's to small of a pic to see the button with the hand holding the pen on it. I guess it's the one opposite the "lightning bolt/taser button on the right hand side?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Will the screen be visible while wearing polarized sun glasses? Or will it be like the gas station or some of the odometers and be invisible to polarized eye lenses?

Carrig

Clandestine User
What? I'm hangin' here! :dissapointed:

I’m told the lightning bolt key will provide another way to access the functions hidden on the keypad.
As DIAD Dude mentioned:
Pressing the “Z” key in the EDD manifest presents you with a consignee view
Pressing the “right arrow” (space forward key) in the EDD manifest, shifts addresses to the right.
Pressing the “alpha” key twice followed by the “cycle” key twice turns the keypad backlight on or off.

Carrig

Clandestine User
Will the screen be visible while wearing polarized sun glasses? Or will it be like the gas station or some of the odometers and be invisible to polarized eye lenses?

What I’ve heard makes me believe that everyone is aware of the problem associated with polarized sunglasses.
I would be very surprised if it isn’t considered in the choice of the new screen.

Ms.PacMan

I would like the consignee last names on the business portion of my route stored in memory like the street names.

A stored, perfectly legible, consignee signature would also be great but would be open to all kinds of abuses.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
If I take the last train to Clarksville will you meet me at the station??
Beat me to it sir.:happy2:

OK, Let's see if I can hit the highlights.

Sig Button - I don't know for sure if this is the final keyboard, but I can tell you that the weight and shape of the device makes it that the customer will not hold it near the keyboard. D4, your hand naturally falls right where the sig is. Not so for the D5.

This one always comes up, but no one ever thinks about how small it will make the keys. If you have a QWERTY keyboard, you MUST have 10 keys across. Look at that device and do a little thinking about what the keys would look like if there were 10 per row. If you can make a QWERTY keyboard on a device that narrow that is actually uasble, you sir are a better man than I.

DIAD 4 was introduced in 2003. It is now 7 years old, and yes they are going out of warranty, and we are no longer able to purchase some parts for the D4.

Some group actually asked for us to include a device similar to the "Dazer" in the DIAD 5. It was investigated and ultimately rejected.

The font on the DIAD 5 is taller and narrower than the DIAD 4 font. The DIAD 5 display is also higher resolution than the D4. There are actually 4 times as many pixels on the screen for D5 than D4. Most people have been very pleased with the display on the D5.

Not a taser, but a way to access some other functions within the device. The plan is to have certain functionality which is not easily accessible in the D4 to be placed on a menu that you access with the lightning bolt key.

Did anyone know that you can use space and 'Z' on the D4 to see more info on your EDD view? Instead of that functionality being in a non-obvious place like it is on the D4, it will likely be on a menu in the D5.

It's likely that the keylight functionality will also be on that menu, as well as one other function alot of you guys asked for. :smart:
Okay, and, what about the camera? Can I upload my own sounds? Like say I want the Star Wars theme so when I press the scan button it sounds like I'm shooting a laser gun.:wink2:

DiadDude

What I’ve heard makes me believe that everyone is aware of the problem associated with polarized sunglasses.
I would be very surprised if it isn’t considered in the choice of the new screen.

I have not seen the production screen, but full visibility through polarized lenses was a requirement of any device submitted by our vendors.