Did not pass intergrad

Cementups

Box Monkey
When you are driving and have to say everything that you are doing and what you see on the road.

Example. Checking left mirror, clean on the driver's side. (Meaning no cars coming) right shoulder is clear so I have an escape path. I have a six second space cushion and I see a stale green light that I'm approaching.

Oh yeah I always fail that, lol. They don't even ask me anymore. I told them a long time ago I'm not doing that because I think it's dumb. Problem solved

jaker

trolling
In Cali if you are a FT driver you need one year safe driving , if you are combo you have to go driving for one year safe only then you can go feeder

The big issue with that most of us hate the most is as soon as a combo got the one year in they go to the top of the feeder list

So you have 15 combo workers who get their one year in pkg done vs 12 years pkg driver
I kinda said this wrong , a combo can go feeder after having one year safe driving in pkg car

AlliSeeisBrown

In my center, if you sign a bid and get DQ'd you can't sign for that same position for a year but you CAN sign for another position. For example, if I got DQ'd for FT Service provider, I can't go for it again for a year, BUT I could sign for air driver, RTD, TCD etc...

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
There was a driver who went to three schools in three consecutive weeks because he kept failing. Then he finally passed the third time. He was 45 minutes his first day of being an actual driver and he was terminated.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
We have been told that any Air driving does not count towards your one year safe driving. FT or PT.

I had a decade or more of safe driving time in as an air driver and I never received a single award .
I usually did about a hundred miles a day except Sat. where only about 50 miles was average.

barnyard

KTM rider
We have a combo guy that has fought for recognition for safe driving years and was told that it does not count until he is FT. There has been conflicting info about signing a feeder school bid. I suspect that it would boil down to if no package car drivers signed or were not qualified.

Grey

When you are driving and have to say everything that you are doing and what you see on the road.

Example. Checking left mirror, clean on the driver's side. (Meaning no cars coming) right shoulder is clear so I have an escape path. I have a six second space cushion and I see a stale green light that I'm approaching.

That doesn't sound very safe.

AlliSeeisBrown

This may sound dumb, but in my opinion, the driver drill takes away from safe driving. At least the way I was taught to perform it. My instructor told me I couldn't say anything that contradicted the scanning method (left-front-right-front-left). I failed first try because I stated something left, then right, but didn't include the front in between. Found myself frantically trying to state BS left front and right and not focusing on what was actually going on.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This may sound dumb, but in my opinion, the driver drill takes away from safe driving. At least the way I was taught to perform it. My instructor told me I couldn't say anything that contradicted the scanning method (left-front-right-front-left). I failed first try because I stated something left, then right, but didn't include the front in between. Found myself frantically trying to state BS left front and right and not focusing on what was actually going on.
Your "instructor" was training incorrectly.
I took the week long class and training by Mr. Smith, the originator of the Smith System or as UPSers' call it "All Good Kids Love Milk".
He did not use UPS terminology and his words were different from UPS in some instances.
I also spent a year as the District Safety Manager training operations manager and supervisors how to train using the Smith system.
The scanning process was used mainly in the training on how to keep your eyes moving but it was not a prescribed method to implement as a method.
The 10-point commentary was suppose to be a tool for the trainee to demonstrate that he/she understood and applying the 5 Safe Driving Habits.
The "Train the Trainer" was very successful in keeping individuals from changing the training by mistake or on purpose.
I think it was "too costly" and dropped around 1995 or so. CBT was all the rage.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
CBT was all the rage.
Still is apparently. Completing a DIAD computer based training module that takes hours to finish, before you've ever even seen one in person, what a waste of my time.

I was born in the 80's, give me 10 minutes to play around with a DIAD and we can call it a day. Instead I wasted 4 hours going through their BS CBT's that taught me nothing. Once I got one in my hands I felt like I should retake the training so I could actually learn something. What a joke.

AlliSeeisBrown

Your "instructor" was training incorrectly.
I took the week long class and training by Mr. Smith, the originator of the Smith System or as UPSers' call it "All Good Kids Love Milk".
He did not use UPS terminology and his words were different from UPS in some instances.
I also spent a year as the District Safety Manager training operations manager and supervisors how to train using the Smith system.
The scanning process was used mainly in the training on how to keep your eyes moving but it was not a prescribed method to implement as a method.
The 10-point commentary was suppose to be a tool for the trainee to demonstrate that he/she understood and applying the 5 Safe Driving Habits.
The "Train the Trainer" was very successful in keeping individuals from changing the training by mistake or on purpose.
I think it was "too costly" and dropped around 1995 or so. CBT was all the rage.

That's initially what I thought. Our class instructor (different guy) gave us the run-down on the driver drill and it seemed very simplified and I knew I could do it with the way he taught it. But, as soon as we got in the training car, the other instructor started dinging us trainees for stuff we were told was the proper way. In short, it created a very nervous driving experience.

Dr.Brownz

A
Always have told sups the driver drill is BS. By the time you see something and say it you have already scanned the whole street multiple times, making how many things you "call out" an innaccuate reflection of what you actually looked at.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Still is apparently. Completing a DIAD computer based training module that takes hours to finish, before you've ever even seen one in person, what a waste of my time.

I was born in the 80's, give me 10 minutes to play around with a DIAD and we can call it a day. Instead I wasted 4 hours going through their BS CBT's that taught me nothing. Once I got one in my hands I felt like I should retake the training so I could actually learn something. What a joke.
You're the exception. A lot of guys really struggle with the DIAD right out of the gate. Even with some time to play with it.