Didn't thinkk it would happen?

oldngray

nowhere special
If you argue the scripture interprets itself, I hope you don't go to a church and sit and listen to a preacher give his/her "interpretation" of the bible. That's not letting the bible speak for itself. Not to mention I hope you reference the hebrew from which the english is translated from? The english translated bible in many cases is horrible in reflecting hebrew thought and intent. Many words are not translated but transliterated and thus lose the original meaning and intent.

Reading the bible I completely agree with. Few christians do but yet they should.

I agree with you that you should read translations faithful to the original text and language because few people read or understand those languages then translations are necessary. Because a translation is a compromise between being literal or dynamic I also agree than reading more than one translation is a good idea. A parallel Bible is a good choice. The Hebrew would be the language of OT and Greek with a little Aramaic in the NT.

trickpony1

Where is Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson?
Why hasn't the White House sent reps to mediate?
Why haven't all the whites gone on a rampage and rioted, burned and looted?

If Obama had a son?

moreluck

golden ticket member
So how would you interpret it?
Catholics were instructed in Cath. School (60's) to leave the interpretation up to the Pope...he's carrying the infallibility ball on this one. But, all of our protestant friends were well versed in the bible and they carried their bibles to church and studied them.
So, why don't you e-mail the pope and have a debate with him.

wkmac

I agree with you that you should read translations faithful to the original text and language and since few people read or understand those languages then translations are necessary. Because a translation is a compromise between being literal or dynamic I also agree than reading more than one translation is a good idea. A parallel Bible is a good choice. The Hebrew would be the language of OT and Greek with a little Aramaic in the NT.

Agreed but I'd also add that a good bible student should read the bible in one hand while holding about 2 shelves full of lexicons in the other. And yes I do. Have about 4 shelves of bibles I've accumulated over the years as well. All have their pros and cons.

Taken literal, the bible will manifest itself in the worse of humanity just as the Quran is doing now. History IMO proves this.

bbsam

Staff member
Catholics were instructed in Cath. School (60's) to leave the interpretation up to the Pope...he's carrying the infallibility ball on this one. But, all of our protestant friends were well versed in the bible and they carried their bibles to church and studied them.
Because oldngray brought it up.

bbsam

Staff member
Agreed but I'd also add that a good bible student should read the bible in one hand while holding about 2 shelves full of lexicons in the other. And yes I do. Have about 4 shelves of bibles I've accumulated over the years as well. All have their pros and cons.

Taken literal, the bible will manifest itself in the worse of humanity just as the Quran is doing now. History IMO proves this.
I have learned to see it somewhat differently. The Bible holds up a mirror to the worst of humanity and offers an alternative path for believers to follow.

wkmac

The current pope has opened up publicly to dialogue with atheists/agnostics and said pope has also shown points of moderation on previous dogmatic issues.

As to this point:
Catholics were instructed in Cath. School (60's) to leave the interpretation up to the Pope...he's carrying the infallibility ball on this one.

Convenient position when one has such power and control. Serves to protect a vested self interest. The Donation of Constantine has been proven a fraud and from there it's all gone downhill. What say you now Pope? A universal christianity came to be not by the hand of god but by a fraud of men for the purpose of power.

Nothing new under the sun as the old scriptures say!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Smooth move !!!

"Alton Nolen, the suspect in Thursday’s beheading attack in Oklahoma, was on felony probation until 2017 but was given early release in April of this year."

BrownMeetPurple

Such ignorance, I am glad you people are a tiny minority. If given same circumstance, you will be the same as ISIS rats. Seeing your bigotry, it's funny and sad at the same time.

There are millions of us (Muslims) who work to provide for our families every day, just like you. We are doctors, lawyers, engineers, politicians, laborers and yes delivery persons too! If you are going to paint us all with a same brush, I'll believe that racism has not died and lynch mobs are still alive and active, releasing their negative energy online because they can't in public. Cowards.

and moreluck=helpless case.