Diesel fuel shortage: Why is no one talking about this?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
418555_mlkrr7nmqwpflll.jpeg

Babagounj

Strength through joy

Biden announced he had struck a tentative deal with the railroad unions that the workers cannot strike until after a so-called cooling-off period in late November, right after the midterm elections.
Wisconsin Rep. Bryan Steil says that the economy could take a dual hit after the election if diesel shortages persist and rail unions strike as promised.
"We got to remember this is just weeks after President Biden told us that he had this all under control, and the trains would be running on time."
”We're now learning it's anything but that. It's another game where the Biden administration has kicked the can down the road and kicked it past this election."

Airlines are looking at possible strikes, too.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Somebody explain how growing food to convert into expensive diesel is a good idea?

Wally

Explain to me how you convert food into diesel fuel?
Various vegetable oils can be turned into biodiesel.
Yea, corn or soybeans would be my guess. The btu's of the bio is lower than regular diesel and you use plenty of energy growing the crop. It doesn't save any energy.

Waste oil might work but that already has a market. It's used for animal feed, soaps, and lubricants. The stuff us valuable. Crooks steal it to sell on the black market.

Yea, corn or soybeans would be my guess. The btu's of the bio is lower than regular diesel and you use plenty of energy growing the crop. It doesn't save any energy.

Waste oil might work but that already has a market. It's used for animal feed, soaps, and lubricants. The stuff us valuable. Crooks steal it to sell on the black market.
Soybean and other oils are blended with diesel fuel. They don't make diesel fuel.

Wally

There is no need to used food products to make fuel.
But Congress thought otherwise.
Ethanol is interesting. It uses more energy than regular gasoline and the environmental impact is greater overall. Where are the environmental groups calling for a ban?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Somebody explain how growing food to convert into expensive diesel is a good idea?

These farmers grow so much corn they had to figure out something to do with it hence you have “bio diesel” one of the biggest scams ever pulled on the American people

DriverNerd

It uses more energy than regular gasoline
It doesn't use more energy as it's a fuel, but you get less energy out of it when burning it. It does have a substantially higher octane rating and engines designed for it burn cleaner while making more power. The cost of ethanol without government subsidies is about equal with gasoline and since you're only getting 2/3 the mileage and it uses our corn crop to do it, you're right that overall the environmental impact is such that it is not a viable alternative to regular gasoline.