DIESEL FUEL

S

slyguy

pkgcartiny.gif

COMMENTS NEEDE ON SHORT TERM AND LONG TERM AFFECTS OF DIESEL EXHAUST ON WORKERS IN THE TRUCKING INDUSTRY. A STUDY IS BEING DONE NOW BUT UPS ISN'T INVOLVED.

S

slyguy

You guys are amazing. Don't care about little things but chat like boys about problems with UPS that you have no guts to deal with. Health wise your lost causes, breathe deep all that diesel and other vehicle exhaust while in the center and you will live long. Don't forget time is counting down and we only live to 100 years if lucky.

D

dannyboy

Sly

And what is it you want us to post on this issue. If the study is currently underway, wait for the difinitive answers. If all you want to do is claim the sky is falling, sorry, weve heard it all before.

d

A

afups

I think it would be more important to find out how many UPSers suffer from the problems associated with the vortex created when toilets in UPS facilities are flushed. Some scientists lean towards the theory that energy is sapped from the individual if they remain too close to the commode while the vortex is formed. Scientists in southern Chile think that energy is gained in their area since the vortex moves in the opposite direction there.
UPS owes it to their employees to do something about this problem. Have any of you experienced anything like this?

D

dannyboy

Does this count?

They were doing some work on a broken pipe in the center. Had to cut off the water and a lot of it drained out.

One of the feeder drivers (one that no one really likes cause of his attitude) used the urinal. As he flushed it, the highly compressed air that was in the line shot the water out with great force, emptying the urinal all over him. The only part of him that was not soaked was his hair.

Some how i thought that might be something simular
rofl.gif

Sly, you will get more damage in your system by smoking than you would by any exhaust.

d

W

wkmac

So the moral of the last 2 posts are, While at UPS forget the restroom. Join the bears in the woods!

Great response guys! I loved it.

BTW: Has Sly posted yet about the health hazards of drivers farting?

L

lr1937

Why would you worry about diesel fuel. In most buildings the affects of gas exhaust are greater. I have been party to diesel exhaust emmisions by osha in one of our buidings and as far as I can remember it was of no consequence. I think diesel exhaust problems were put in perspective by wkmacs driver methane releases. There are probably more health hazzards from methane in buildings and elsewhere versus diesel exhaust. It could be that the old "fart in a windstorm" theory is applicable.

K

kidlogic

This was found on HEALTH ASSESSMENT DOCUMENT FOR DIESEL ENGINE EXHAUST

This assessment examined information regarding the possible health hazards associated with exposure to diesel engine exhaust (DE), which is a mixture of gases and particles. The assessment concludes that long-term (i.e., chronic) inhalation exposure is likely to pose a lung cancer hazard to humans, as well as damage the lung in other ways depending on exposure. Short-term (i.e., acute) exposures can cause irritation and inflammatory symptoms of a transient nature, these being highly variable across the population. The assessment also indicates that evidence for exacerbation of existing allergies and asthma symptoms is emerging. The assessment recognizes that DE emissions, as a mixture of many constituents, also contribute to ambient concentrations of several criteria air pollutants including nitrogen oxides and fine particles, as well as other air toxics. The assessment's health hazard conclusions are based on exposure to exhaust from diesel engines built prior to the mid-1990s. The health hazard conclusions, in general, are applicable to engines currently in use, which include many older engines. As new diesel engines with cleaner exhaust emissions replace existing engines, the applicability

the EPA web page.
I think CANCER would be a good reason Ir1937. Pesonaly I am glad that someone cares. I use $300 dollars worth of prescriptions each month to stay alive. The medicine is for my lungs. I have been rushed to the hospital more then once not being able to breathe. You cant imagion the feeling 15 minutes to the hospital and your airway is slowly closing,your heart racing trying to make up the loss of oxygen, panting like you just ran a marathon,but your just sitting there and the medicine you take to clear your lungs wont work. Sound like fun huh?
Then you goto work the next day and the guy next to you revs up his cold diesel and fills you area with smoke. My condition is a slow build up then a big attack. But it starts with things like this. Your just lucky to have to good lungs.

(Message edited by kidlogic on January 31, 2003)

L

lr1937

KL
My point was that the unseen exhaust may be worse then the cloud of smoke from the diesel exhaust.