Differences in contracts

705red

Browncafe Steward
I am in 710, we now have 3 option days. We can now break up our option week into seperate days. Not sure if that's the same anywhere else. Atleast in our center 705 has lost alot of respect, they threatened a strike and settled for the same thing we did.
Im not interested in having a 705 710 who got more debate and how they went about it to get it. But do understand that you have your 3rd optional day because of 705 and if you ever grasp the concept of reading and compare 705's contract going into the talks and what we walked away with, compared to every other contract and supplement 705 is on top.

This does not mean that our contract is 100% better than any one elses, just that we gained more in this years negotiations.

tieguy

Banned
Tieguy or anyone else who has the time/. Red has pointed out many improvements in the 705 contract so can someone point out where it is not better than the national

Ah you put me in a difficult situation. I obviously want 705 to sell this contract to its membersand bring peace back to the valley:happy-very:

705 does have some interesting language in its contract that I have not seen before. Some things are up to interpretation.

For example Red proudly claims that their contract has no act of god language allowing supervisors to work.

However the basic language is still in place that states the company has to exhaust all other means to use union labor first. This generally implies the concept that the company can use management labor once they have exhausted all other options to use union labor. Its a basic concept that protects the companys rights to provide a service and the unions rights to the labor supplied.

tieguy

Banned
A couple of interesting things skimming this contract.

I see a lot of redundant excess language in this contract. I'm not sure why it would in the contract other then to give the parties something to talk about while their waiting to start the last minute theatrics.

Article 15 Military clause - Interesting choice of articles. Those who served in the military know an article 15 was a form of military discipline.

Article basically states that the company will comply with the provisions of USERRA for employees going on military leave. And it allows UPS the rights to exceed the provisions of USERRA.

Ok. USERRA stands for the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act. Its a law or set of laws that UPS already has to comply with and UPS has always had the right to exceed it so why even bother adding the language to the contract.

Also a lot of TAW / Workmans comp language in the contract that basically restates local law

same thing with the FMLA language nothing new above and beyond the actual law so why put it in the contract. Someone was wasting time when they should have been discussing the real issues at contract time.

Much of this appears to be language put in prior to the present 705 administration. Seems like a waste of paper.

tieguy

Banned
Article 18 section 2 basically restates DOT law on the procedure for red tagging and repairing equipment.

Just think your union dues and my stock money paid for people to basically sit down and regurgitate DOT law during the contract talks.

tieguy

Banned
Article 18 section 3 - company got five definitions of a serious accident including language that defines an accident with an airplane that results in the plane being grounded. I think my supplement has three.

Article 18 section 6 - language weakened requiring the employer to heat our buildings. Guess the folks in the CACH hub will be freezing their buts off this winter.

18 .9 - no retreads on for the front tires - already spelled out by DOT law more useless language.

18.10 - shock absorbers same things . Covered by DOT . lot of fluff in this contract.

18.15 - heaters and defrosters - same thing.

tieguy

Banned
Ok comparison of p/t wages -

looks like the starting wage is the same.

looks like the progression is the same

looks like raises about the same.

looks like the catch up wages may be less

vacations 7 weeks after 30 years and 3 optionals?

Atlantic supplement 6 weeks after 25 years plus one week optional holidays and one week of paid sick days. So the atlantic supplement at least is better by two paid days off.

J

JonFrum

Tieguy,

The reason labor contract language sometimes duplicates existing laws, rules, and regulations is to protect the employees for the life of the contract, should the laws, rules, or regulations be weakened or eliminated.

This is especially prudent in contracts with UPS, as UPS spends huge sums lobbying city, state, and national governments to weaken or abolish various laws, rules, and regulations.

vacations 7 weeks after 30 years and 3 optionals?

Atlantic supplement 6 weeks after 25 years plus one week optional holidays and one week of paid sick days. So the atlantic supplement at least is better by two paid days off.

Actually thats 7 weeks plus an optional week plus three optional days.

tieguy

Banned
Actually thats 7 weeks plus an optional week plus three optional days.

Ok. I won't dispute that I took bits and pieces from other posts posted here, I have not personally dug into that area of your offer. I hope you're right . I certainly want you to be a trend setter in this area cause lord knows I could use a seventh week by the time I hit thirty years.:happy-very:

705red

Browncafe Steward
Just to clear the air because I know that there are all kinds of rumors. We did not accept anything that had anything to do with part time drivers!
I was told by a former 710 driver, and you know this driver, that it was true after he called his old agent to verify. Ups told us in talks that you did and he said you never would have but hes in shock that it appears you did.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Tie i do not believe that our contract is the best out there. I do believe that we gained more in this contract than any other local, supplement etc.

This was a hugfe deal going in and for many of you out there i will explain.

Our local has always been run by freight, railyard memebrs etc. Even through the middle 90s as a upser you would be told to shut up and sit down at the meetings. Upsers had no say in anything even our contract.

This is the first time that we have a ups sec/trea, ups recording secretary and a total of 11 agents from ups. In the past we had freight members enforcing our contract (not very good) and negotiating our contract. Yes of course they pulled some ups members to be on the committees but they were locked in conference rooms with little or no say.

This committee responded to our leaders and even spoke up during the talks to rebut ups's stance on certain issues. We had a huge role in this new contract and for the first time it was negotiated by upsers for upsers. No outside freight influence just upsers!

Ok. I won't dispute that I took bits and pieces from other posts posted here, I have not personally dug into that area of your offer. I hope you're right . I certainly want you to be a trend setter in this area cause lord knows I could use a seventh week by the time I hit thirty years.:happy-very:
It depends on the contract you were hired on. The later ones have slower vacation increase rates. I don`t know if I`ll be around for that extra one but if I am it`ll be nice to have.

Our local has always been run by freight, railyard memebrs etc. Even through the middle 90s as a upser you would be told to shut up and sit down at the meetings. Upsers had no say in anything even our contract.

This is the first time that we have a ups sec/trea, ups recording secretary and a total of 11 agents from ups. In the past we had freight members enforcing our contract (not very good) and negotiating our contract. Yes of course they pulled some ups members to be on the committees but they were locked in conference rooms with little or no say.

This must be why your language was so far behind most. Maybe next negotiations 705 will catch up.

705red

Browncafe Steward

This must be why your language was so far behind most. Maybe next negotiations 705 will catch up.
Maybe next time you wont rush to settle a year early and hop on our coat tails.

Chnandler Bong

I was told by a former 710 driver, and you know this driver, that it was true after he called his old agent to verify. Ups told us in talks that you did and he said you never would have but hes in shock that it appears you did.

Actually, we haven't accepted anything yet. Simply a "tentative agreement". However, I have no doubt that it will pass..... I'm still waiting to get my ballot and contract proposal.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Actually you have accepted a tentative agreement, pending a vote by the members. I was just pointing something as serious as this should probably be looked into, especially if anyone would ever like to go fulltime driving!

hmmmm, to me the reiteration of laws already in effect would serve one purpose. If the company decided to violate ,say, the military service clause, then the employee could first take the matter up with the union and not have to get the government involved right off the bat.
If a driver files a grievance he is sometimes targeted for harassment, if he gets the Feds involved, he's toast. It's just a matter of time.

hmmmm, to me the reiteration of laws already in effect would serve one purpose. If the company decided to violate ,say, the military service clause, then the employee could first take the matter up with the union and not have to get the government involved right off the bat.
If a driver files a grievance he is sometimes targeted for harassment, if he gets the Feds involved, he's toast. It's just a matter of time.

I disagree. If the company or someone in mgmt violate a federal law the first place to go to is the agency overseeing that law. There was some folks in H.R. here at the Cach that thought they could make up their own requirements concerning FMLA rules. After the word spread of what they were doing a phone call was placed to the regional Dept of Labor agent who sent her people down to "clarify" what the folks at H.R. could and couldn`t do. The matter was straightened out in less than 24 hours.

tieguy

Banned

If that is the true value of the reiteration of law then why not list every single law in the contract and turn it into a 50,000 page document. Or why not simply put a verse in the contract that says the company agrees to comply with all laws. No my friend our negotiating committees were basically sitting around playing with their puds when they added those sections. A little filler to make it look like the union guys had lots of things added to the contract. Nothing more.