Discharges, panel outcomes, local hearing reference library

Local 804 sits an arbitrator at their UPS panel.
Yea and their business agents rarely hear grievances at that level. They use lawyers which uses a lot of money. Judging from their track record of stewards losing their jobs for good the lawyer thing ain't working. They should get better business agents.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Yea and their business agents rarely hear grievances at that level. They use lawyers which uses a lot of money. Judging from their track record of stewards losing their jobs for good the lawyer thing ain't working. They should get better business agents.
That simply is not true, but nice try.
How much does it cost to hold a JAC in Florida in January?

image.jpeg
That simply is not true, but nice try.
One million dollars

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Make fun if you like, but this concept of sitting an arbitrator to break ties at state level panels intrigues me.
While there is much to criticize in Local 804 (which doesn't make them special within the union structure), they may be on to something.
I would be interested in seeing a cost comparison vs additional regional panels and their present venues.
I can say with some certainty, the cost for the discharged member is significantly less than waiting additional months for the final disposition of their deadlocked case at subsequent regional or national panels.

Make fun if you like, but this concept of sitting an arbitrator to break ties at state level panels intrigues me.
While there is much to criticize in Local 804 (which doesn't make them special within the union structure), they may be on to something.
I would be interested in seeing a cost comparison vs additional regional panels and their present venues.
I can say with some certainty, the cost for the discharged member is significantly less than waiting additional months for the final disposition of their deadlocked case at subsequent regional or national panels.
Ups could bankrupt a large portion of local with this practice.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
We have great success with our New England panel. Thanks to OB

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
@PiedmontSteward, how many locals in the Atlantic Area have been bankrupt by UPS as a result of this system?

None that I know about.

To be fair though, the Atlantic Area includes Locals 22, 29, 61, 71, 171, 175, 322, 355, 391, 453, 509, 639, 697, 822, and 922. The cost for those sitting arbitrators is spread out between the company and 15 other locals (not including some of the Philly locals, which actually use the Atlantic Area machinery to cover their panel system).

The system we have is bad enough as far as "justice delayed" for the member, but I can't even fathom not having the member know if they're still employed by the company after going to panel.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Don't know, since it is always in February. :biggrin:

But, I'm sure (cost wise) its no different than holding the JAC Hearings in;

Denver, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Traverse City, (have you ever tried to get a flight in there ?)

Louisville, And Chicago.... which is probably the most expensive.

Thats where I've been. Other cities for the National Panel.

As long as you don't miss the cut-off date, everyone gets the discounted room rates.

Being booked a year in advance.... No doubt, offers a discount on the conference rooms.

What's wrong with Florida ?

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Don't know, since it is always in February. :biggrin:

But, I'm sure (cost wise) its no different than holding the JAC Hearings in;

Denver, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Traverse City, (have you ever tried to get a flight in there ?)

Louisville, And Chicago.... which is probably the most expensive.

Thats where I've been. Other cities for the National Panel.

As long as you don't miss the cut-off date, everyone gets the discounted room rates.

Being booked a year in advance.... No doubt, offers a discount on the conference rooms.

What's wrong with Florida ?

-Bug-
As usual, your quote is incomplete and out of context in the hope that the casual observer hasn't read this far, but OK.

My original post was contemplating the cost of an arbitrator sitting at state panels to break deadlocked cases, to make a regional panel obsolete.
This could potentially make the whole trip unnecessary in many instances, especially for discharge cases.

But since you asked and opened the door for scrutiny:

November's JAC; Indiannapolis, Indiana, is CENTRALLY LOCATED FOR THE CENTRAL REGION, meaning many more locals would need not fly at all and accommodations likely much more reasonable for comparable facilities.

January and August's JAC's are in locations, South Florida and Traverse City, Michigan, which are polar opposites to centralized locations and high priced tourist locations in their peak seasons.
"Early booking" or not, it's no bargain and an unnecessary expense for many locals.

I love Florida.....for vacation.

~Bbbl~

Last edited:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
November's JAC; Indianapolis, Indiana, is CENTRALLY LOCATED FOR THE CENTRAL REGION, meaning many more locals would need not fly at all and accommodations likely much more reasonable for comparable facilities.

While you make a reasonable plea....

Unfortunately, the Regional Chairmen (Union and company) make that decision.

There's nothing wrong, with suggestions. :biggrin:

-Bug-