Disciplinary action for late air?

dillweed

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has had this come up. I've been driving air for about 6 months, mostly Saturday mornings. I drive nearly every week and can't even remember the last time I had a late air until today when the chips just fell the wrong way and I had two late.

Supervisor says I must have a "ride with" before I can sign up to drive air again. ??? I've heard of this after an accident but for late air?

Has anyone else had this happen AND if they require a ride with for my late air shouldn't they be requiring ride withs for everyone who has a late air? Otherwise it smells a bit of discrimination. Please offer some input on this, thanks. dw

over9five

Staff member
If you had late air when you delivered nothing but air, then you were overdispatched. Sounds like your sup is trying to cover for his failure to correctly dispatch.

You did your utmost to get them delivered ontime, right?

Talk to your steward. This is BS.

dillweed

over nine-five, thanks for your quick reply. I so much needed to hear that!

Yep, did the best I could but had mostly residentials that had to be looked up. Also felt like I was waiting on traffic a lot today. Just air deliveries. Will see steward Monday. Thanks again and take care, dw

Fredless

APWA Hater
You say you've been driving mostly Saturdays. Same with me (now at least).

In my building, its 30 working days. Meaning if I were to only drive on saturdays, it would take 30 weeks. If you've been driving 6 months, thats 24 weeks so far so only 24 working days. He might be trying to disqualify you.

Good luck. Remember your weingarten rights and your shop steward, its what you pay for.

rebel

Always send a message if you think there is a chance of a late nda even if it is 20 minutes before commit time. You can even stop and call your sup. Not much they can do if you communicate. I would not worry much about the ride, they are just showing they are trying to correct the problem with the late nda. If you do get a warning letter make sure you protest it with a grievance within 10 working days. The sups are just doing their job, does not sound personal.

dillweed

Thanks for all the replies. He texts constantly to see how we are doing and had already sent someone to take some stops. I gave the guy three business stops that would be easy for him to find on the way back to his own area, which had a later commit time.

Figured I could get my remaining three off but every stinking thing that could eat up time did so. Turning left across lanes of heavy traffic, hellish subdivision that wasn't well mapped and a prehistoric pkg car with no power steering.

So I called at noon to tell him two would be late. Got back to center and he wanted explanation so I described to him where I had gone and how it had been. His only suggestion was that I should have done the business stops first. Told him ok, but I still would have had lates because it would have meant backtracking.

He said I didn't show remorse for the late air and hadn't said I was sorry. Told him I had nothing to be sorry for because I had done the best I could. Pissed him off. Hence, disciplinary action? dw

dillweed

gandydancer, I've made senioirity. Thanks for the suggestion though. To my understanding a ride with is for drivers who have had accidents, not late air. dw

over9five

Staff member
Sounds to me like he's mad because you didn't get down on your knees, and grovel before His Greatness. Slave must be punished!
Next time, show your remorse by slitting your wrists, or perhaps hari kari.

dillweed

over9five, yes indeed.
All I can think to do is see if steward will point out that a "ride with" for late air should happen to everyone who has a late air and not just me.

Pinning a driver sup down for a ride with is like pulling teeth at best. If they know you're not an asskiss it's downright impossible. And they knew that a long, long time ago. :-) Thanks to all for your support. dw

rebel

I still think he feels you need more training. Im not trying to take a stab at you, but you said you have been driving air for only 6 months. A sup can ride with you anytime he wants, after 3 rides it could be excessive. The sup has to answer to up above as to service failures. Brush it off, smile, and have a good ride. Maybe he will buy your lunch.

Overpaid Union Thug

Another reason for the sup being pissed is that Saturday Airs being late is pretty much taboo. Saturdays are considered the easiest money one could make at UPS as a driver. Yes, occasionally it get hectic. Like around holidays (Valentine's Day for example) but usually more drivers are added when more volume is expected. How many stops/miles do you typicaly get on Saturdays in your center?

dillweed

Well rebel, I'm always willing for more training and learn something every time out, whether or not I'm with a sup. This fellow said, however, that on Monday I'd be facing disciplinary action. This is my issue; that it's not training, it's discipline and for what? This management system is like a really bad soap. Nothing is resolved, too much energy is wasted on poorly placed discipline and grievances.

Our air was half an hour late, spent lots of time with the map and, unfortunately, chose a route that went against the flow of traffic. Live and learn. :thumbup1: Thanks all! dw

rebel

Well rebel, I'm always willing for more training and learn something every time out, whether or not I'm with a sup. This fellow said, however, that on Monday I'd be facing disciplinary action. This is my issue; that it's not training, it's discipline and for what? This management system is like a really bad soap. Nothing is resolved, too much energy is wasted on poorly placed discipline and grievances.

Our air was half an hour late, spent lots of time with the map and, unfortunately, chose a route that went against the flow of traffic. Live and learn. :thumbup1: Thanks all! dw

Then you should turn in a grievance on intimidation, article 37. Make sure you request your steward to be present anytime your sup wants to talk, because you feel like this conversation could lead to discipline. Just make sure you dont screw up anytime soon. Sups dont stay in one place long.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

Air coming in the door a half hour late means that you have a half hour less of on area delivery time. This is easy, file away. Some of our drivers will prerecord an air stop as NI or Closed before commit time so it won't show up late. I don't, if you have too many stops, thats just the way it is.:confused:1

Channahon

Just a little insight
I would guess the sup called his manager, to advise of the late deliveries. The manager may have called the division manager, who is looking for some sort of discipline. Because come Monday the District Manager will get a call from the Region asking about the late air.

SignatureRequired

Never have late air. Its unfair to the customers that pay extra for the service. Dont you know our company created loopholes within our diad for our benefit. Get out of edd, if your gps is enabled, go into delivery mode, scan the pkg(S), then put into pre-record, left at. Get a signature or deliver out of the pre-record screen. Do NOT go into the stop. Now can deliver air at any time of the day and make service.

trickpony1

Just a little insight
I would guess the sup called his manager, to advise of the late deliveries. The manager may have called the division manager, who is looking for some sort of discipline. Because come Monday the District Manager will get a call from the Region asking about the late air.

....but the big question is:

during all those really important phone calls will it be mentioned the air came in 30 minutes late?

.......and why is it the driver's fault that the air came in late?

be ready to file a grievance in a timely manner if they hassle you.

runner45

At my center the Manager (Making pickups due to a road call by driver) forgot to make a Air Drop box with 20 NDA in it. Quess who was blamed? You guessed it the driver because the address for the Drop Box was not correct in his board. So buddy dont get to bent out of shape. You will get use to being treated as a looser in no time.